Sponsored by:

LS7 componets in a LS1?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 componets in a LS1?

HI,

Few quick questions on parts interchanging between a LS1, and the LS7

1. Can I use a LS7 Crank and Rods in a LS1?
2. Will LS7 valves fit in LS1 Heads with machining?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke1116
HI,

Thanks
1. no
2. no
l92 is the closest u will get to a ls7, and even then none of the parts will interchange,
ls7 is "top gun" lsx motor and most all parts are specific to it.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Duke1116
HI,

Thanks

1. rods yes, however will have to deck your block or get a set of custom pistons. Pin fit the rods for .927 pins
Crankshaft i'm gonna say no, unless you put all C6 Accessories and LS7 oil pump/pan on the motor
2. No
Old 03-05-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The crank can be used if you shorten the front. You need to trim .875 off the front of the crank snout to use it in a early engine, then use a dampner bolt for a wet sump engine. The rods can be used with custom pistons for sure. Two things to check would be pin diameter in the rods (we have seen two different ones) and clearance over the rod on the inside of the piston (possible problem on dished pistons).

Kurt
Old 08-10-2008, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

So with the LS7 Crank you cant use the LS1/6 Oil Pump?
Old 11-06-2017, 12:04 AM
Teching In

What he said ^^^^
Old 11-06-2017, 08:27 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Kelii
What he said ^^^^
If you're going to revive an 8 year old tread, at least have something to contribute. Otherwise it looks like you're postwhoring in order to get past the new member restrictions, and we don't allow that.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Definitely not postwhoring? I didn’t even know that is and actual thing, I too want to use a LS7 in my LM7 and was hoping someone could shed some light on the OP question. A poster had kind of answered part of the steps as far as machining the front but not so much in the dry to wet sump procedure. So could someone that has done this procedure chime in on what work would need too be done on the LS7 crankshaft in order too install it into my LM7. In other words pretty much the same question as the OP. Thank you ����
Old 11-06-2017, 03:07 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Kelii
Definitely not postwhoring? I didn’t even know that is and actual thing, I too want to use a LS7 in my LM7 and was hoping someone could shed some light on the OP question. A poster had kind of answered part of the steps as far as machining the front but not so much in the dry to wet sump procedure. So could someone that has done this procedure chime in on what work would need too be done on the LS7 crankshaft in order too install it into my LM7. In other words pretty much the same question as the OP. Thank you ����
Postwhoring here is when someone just posts a bunch of stupid crap to get their post count up and start using the classifieds sections. Also, we get bots that post random phrases and usually can't use the "quote" feature to reply to someone.

Using an LS7 crank is a pretty well covered topic if you keep searching. Once the snout is machined, you can using a wet sump pump and gear drive with a standard pulley (Fbody, truck, etc). The machining of the snout is so that when shorter single stage wet sump pump is used, here won't be a big gap between the balancer huh and the pump gear drive.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

There is a document online from Chevrolet Performance entitled "The LS Engine Family Tree" that will answer all of your questions. The LS7 crank snout is specific and won't work in other LS engines. I think the LS7 rods only connect to the specific LS7 pistons due to the wrist pin. Anyway, find that document and it will answer all of your questions on "LS compatibility".
Old 11-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Teching In

I totally didn’t realize that aspect of posting, so what you are saying is the more you post the more privileges you get on the LS1 Tech site? interesting but I’m definitely not that guy. You answered more than one of my post on this subject and I appreciate it, thank you .
Originally Posted by KCS
Postwhoring here is when someone just posts a bunch of stupid crap to get their post count up and start using the classifieds sections. Also, we get bots that post random phrases and usually can't use the "quote" feature to reply to someone.

Using an LS7 crank is a pretty well covered topic if you keep searching. Once the snout is machined, you can using a wet sump pump and gear drive with a standard pulley (Fbody, truck, etc). The machining of the snout is so that when shorter single stage wet sump pump is used, here won't be a big gap between the balancer huh and the pump gear drive.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Bobby Kelli- The reason it's done this way is to weed out trolls and bots people use to misuse the system. Stick around, you will learn a lot!
Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Also balancing the LS7 crank can be both tricky and expensive as the bob weight is specific to the GM 4.125" slugs. Most that choose to use just the crank and heavier aftermarket rods end up adding Mallory slugs in addition to the snout mods previously mentioned

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS7 componets in a LS1?