Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TR224 vs stock 03 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
they call it flyby for a reason... meaning he came by at 100 while you were doing 60.. full bolt on and a cam with him at WOT... you wouldnt stand a chance.. might need to rephrase that a little bit...

maybe he was two car lengths back and kicked it.. then you kicked it when he was even with you????
Well all i know is that my buddy behind me who was in a 04 gt said the cobra flew by him. He said he couldn't believe how i held the cobra off. I was doing about 45 or 50 and so was my buddy, I'm not sure how fast the guy in the cobra was going. I do know that the guy in the cobra was upset because when he turned off at the next light he got on it doin a lil fish tail.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

You should be alright, those Cobra's can be a little tricky to launch. I think original test by Muscle Mustangs & Fast Ford's were only able to beat a stock M6 SS by two tenths....
Old 03-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
if he's stock than he's only pushin 390hp... to the crank!

with your mods and that cam, you should be pushin that to the wheels...

I don't see you having any issues beating him after that cam install... it won't be a total blowout... but you should win...

That Number was very underrated from the factory. Those cars average 360 to 385rwhp.... Mine making 383rwhp with less than 100miles..I also ran a 12.80 at 113 here in Vegas bone stock.

As far as the run goes you should edge him out. But if he has any boltons even an intake itll be close.

Rey
Old 03-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Teching In

well, odds are he has at LEAST a $ 40-50 pulley on it! and pushing 13-15psi and you will loose.

heres cobra vert running a Z06 with full exhaust, forgive me if it doesnt work.not very good at this.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=469327
Old 03-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Teching In

That Z is sweet though, i would trade my 700+rwhp cobra for it anyday!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^Nice vid. It is good to have friends different style cars. I would like to see how they would do from from a dig.

I am sure I will have fun with my new cam, and thanks to all for the info. I have never had a chance to race a cobra. As far as my neighbor goes either he or I are working when the other is off, plus we both have families. We have been wanting to run the cars for while. Mine has been off the road alot one mod after another. I am getting the car dyno tuned after the cam install I will post numbers.

Thanks again to all.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tasilver
^Nice vid. It is good to have friends different style cars. I would like to see how they would do from from a dig.

I am sure I will have fun with my new cam, and thanks to all for the info. I have never had a chance to race a cobra. As far as my neighbor goes either he or I are working when the other is off, plus we both have families. We have been wanting to run the cars for while. Mine has been off the road alot one mod after another. I am getting the car dyno tuned after the cam install I will post numbers.

Thanks again to all.
I,m sure your car will run like a raped ape! and sound sweet as heck.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

man i roast cobras and im bolt on only...haha i want to race a built one once i have my heads/cam in
Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by firefighting1101
man i roast cobras and im bolt on only...haha i want to race a built one once i have my heads/cam in
To bad your not closer, i would run ya.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

yeah the car in my sig no tune no cam takes cobras. third gen ls1.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Is your avatar your SS? I live down past carters cove on the river. If that is I think I may have seen you up by the point. Not to many SS running around here especialy your cars color.

Thanks for all of the info. I just wanted to play with my nieghbor a little before his car goes under the knife, I know I wont have a chance in hell after he goes twin turbo. He is a good guy, when we get a chance to play I post up some results.

If anyone else is local I am getting together a group to meet at pontiacs in the park. Let me know if you are interested. I am going to post more info as it gets closer to the event in the area forum.
Yeah you might have seen me around here, I live in Hayes right near the Abingdon rescue squad/firehouse bldg. Thats my car in my avatar, lowered and hardtop w/ C6 rims. Let me know about that meet I might be interested...
Old 03-13-2008, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

Reference this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...939&highlight=

Pulley/intake/exhaust/tune Cobra vs. my 01 SS with boltons. Then nitrous.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TwistedSS
Reference this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...939&highlight=

Pulley/intake/exhaust/tune Cobra vs. my 01 SS with boltons. Then nitrous.
guy in cobra needs to lurn how to drive, you cant even hear the blower?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:29 AM
Teching In

the 03-04 cobra with just a pullley, exhaust,CAI, and a good tune very close to 500rwhp500rwtq.

when i had the eaton (mine was ported) 2.76Pulley 2# lower ring, catback,cai,canned tune in the 5xxrwhp.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Well I ordered my TR224 112 lsa today I should have it installed next week. My neighbor has a 03 cobra stock for now. Has anyone ran against one on the street with this cam and stock heads. I ordered the package with the springs but other than that my heads are stock. I will get better heads when the buget allows for it. I have 4:11 gears in a strange 12 bolt and the rest of my bolt ons in in my sig. Just curious.

As far as my neighbor goes his cobra is getting twin turbo in a few months so I know he will be fast as hell then, but until he gets them I would like to have some fun with him. Plus the fact I am one of few F-bodys where I live.
All things equal, you shouldn't have a problem beating him with that cam and your current mods. It won't be by a lot though.

And after he gets those turbos on, it will take A LOT of work, mods, and money to compete with him.

Regardless of who you're racing, the TR224 is a proven, street friendly cam that you'll see decent power gains from. You'll still enjoy it long after he's turbo'd

Old 03-14-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScrapinBye
Yeah you might have seen me around here, I live in Hayes right near the Abingdon rescue squad/firehouse bldg. Thats my car in my avatar, lowered and hardtop w/ C6 rims. Let me know about that meet I might be interested...
Yeah, I have seen your SS for sure now. It is the only black SS in the area with those rims. Your car looks great. I know Herby he works with my friend Doug. He said your car was stock cam but it did not sound that way to me. What exhaust are you running.

I will let you know about the trip when it gets closer. When you buy a ticket you get run your car on the track and my neighbor has box seats aswell. The box supplys the cooler but you have to bring your own cold beers. It should be fun.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Launching!

What exactly is this thing your talking about? Like a track or something? Yeah just let me know. What local forum does everybody use? That Hampton Roads thread I guess?
To answer your question, I have a MS3 cam and used to have the LM1 exhaust w/ gutted cats. A few months ago I installed some Pacesetter LTs, ORY, Prothane mounts, Flowmaster catback (for the sound) and a Raceready electric cutout.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Those cars are pretty heavy too... 4450 lbs to be exact.. I too have a friend that has an 03, Bassani exhaust, different pulley, Whipple S/C.. car makes 550ish/505 @ the wheels..

I do pretty well in my H/C stalled A4... til he gets to 3rd gear...

They are nice cars...
Old 03-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea those gears will start to limit if you plan on a highway stroll. Go from a dig and hope he cant drive...
Old 03-16-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow you got a rearend BEFORE adding big power. one of the few. props.

and you should win. I pull on modded 03 cobras with that cam (and heads lol)