Sponsored by:

squeaking at crank pulley after cam/oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaking at crank pulley after cam/oil pump

04 GTO LS1

well, the other day me and some friends pulled my cam out and swapped it with a blower grind, as well as swapped the heads. after pulling the frontside apart, we decided since we skipped it this last time, we should replace the chain with an LS2 one. off came the oil pump, careful with the oring, replaced the chain, buttoned it up no sweat. car started no prob, but the oil had alot of bubbles in it like soda. it also had an intermittent valvetrain tap (lifter?) and a squeal from the crank pulley (also added the add-on procharger pulley for the D1SC).

well yesterday we pulled the front down again to inspect and replace the oring. everything went smooth. i disassembled the oil pump, no mess inside, reassembled and packed with grease. bolted everything back up, only to have the same intermittent squeal from down low and some slight valvetrain noise.

changes made were:
swapped 232-238 cam for 220-224
swapped 243s for 317s
swapped 7.400 pushrods for 7.425 pushrods
added LS2 chain
pinned crank to stock balancer
added procharger add-on crank pulley and grade 5 bolt 140mm long
added 6.5 qts of Exxon 10w40
added a check valve between valley and TB PCV hose

blower has not been installed. its not that bad, but i dont feel its "normal" enough to shrug off. the valvetrain noise i can deal with, but the squeak is intermittent and it does it with both belts off. the only things i can think off is:

its somehow the add-on crank pulley and longer bolt
i sucked air thru the oil pump and wasted a main bearing
its the weight of oil i used

no scoring on the crank pulley hub
no scoring in the oil pump

id like to get a oil pressure gauge hooked up to it to see what the pressure is as the GTO doesnt have an oil pressure gauge. thats first on my list.

i normally wouldnt post something like this, but ive scoured 4 seperate sites and havent really came across any posts with any answers. any help would be good.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the checkball from the valley for? Maybe it is building to much crank pressure? Try reinstalling the old hose and see if it goes away.
Could be the front seal as well.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
What is the checkball from the valley for? Maybe it is building to much crank pressure? Try reinstalling the old hose and see if it goes away.
Could be the front seal as well.
the checkball is for when i add the blower. should allow positive pressure from the crank to reach the intake, but keeps boost out of the valley. i added it after i started it up, but i could take it back off to check.

i thought seal as well. i figured i had misaligned it and the hub of the crank was rubbing on it, and i neglected to check it when i had it off. the crank hub had a stripe on it, but not a heat stripe. i thought for sure my problem was a pinched oring and it was sucking in air and cavitating, the cavitation being the squealing noise. but, after the fix it still did it. reckon i could spray WD towards the crank hub while it was running to see if the noise changes. didnt think of that until just now.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

I am with mark on this one. I'll bet you are building pressure in the block and the squeal is pressure escaping bu a seal or gasket.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

ill take it off when i get home. im almost sure that it was doing it before i installed the check valve.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

well, the check valve isnt it.

is it possible for the front cover not to be aligned and the seal be rubbing on the hub of the crank and squeaking?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

ttt guys, i need some more input.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How did you install the cover? I always leave the cover bolts loose until the pulley is installed far enough so the seal will self center around the pulley hub, then tighten the cover bolts. Not sayiing that is what's causing the squeel, just how I center the cover.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
How did you install the cover? I always leave the cover bolts loose until the pulley is installed far enough so the seal will self center around the pulley hub, then tighten the cover bolts. Not sayiing that is what's causing the squeel, just how I center the cover.
ive read that, and i didnt do that, i bolted the cover up, then installed the balancer. ill try backing off the front cover bolts, moving it around some, then tightening it back up. i think youre on the right track. i havent noticed any oil leaks, but i havent driven the car but maybe 2 miles.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Did you follow these instructions when installing the oil pump? Haven't done one myself, but getting ready to do a H/C swap myself.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...mming+oil+pump
Old 03-21-2008, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by coanan
Did you follow these instructions when installing the oil pump? Haven't done one myself, but getting ready to do a H/C swap myself.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...mming+oil+pump
no, i didnt do that either. looks like ill be pulling it down again
Old 03-21-2008, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

awesome ideas, guys, ill try them all tomorrow and report back.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

waiting until tomorrow to do all that stuff.

here's a list of what i think it could be and what ill try to do to fix it:

here is a pic of the Procharger add-on pulley, it interlocks in the webbing of the GTO crank pulley.

i think perhaps it is the source of the squeak somehow, either it isnt seated on with the addition of the crank pin, or the bolt i used is perhaps too long. here is what a pinned crank looks like:

my thoughts are either the pin isnt drilled deep enough, and somehow causing the squeak.

so tomorrow, ill start by removing the add-on pulley, and removing pin and adding a stock crank bolt. if that doesnt work, ill try swapping my 7.425 pushrods for stockers. if that doesnt work, ill pull the front cover and pull the oil pump cover, and check the clearance of the outer gear to housing with feeler gauge. also ill check the crank seal for wear. reset the oil pump and then drive the crank pulley home before tightening the front cover bolts.

ill also be adding an oil pressure gauge to one of these plugs to check oil pressure since the GTO doesnt have a gauge.

i think at first i didnt have the pickup tube seated in the pump housing. maybe i did, because when i went back in to replace the oring, it didnt fix a thing. still squeaking, still has a fast-paced low volume tap.

im thinking perhaps with the pickup tube not seated, i pulled alot of air into the pump and starved the mains for oil. no dummy oil light ever came on.

or perhaps i nicked a cam bearing sliding the old cam out and new cam in.

i havent dropped the oil yet, that is the FIRST thing im going to do tomorrow. ive checked the oil at the dipstick and there isnt really any bubbles on it, nor does it look milky or anything like there is water in it. i used 6.0 gaskets and sprayed them down with copper spray. i guess its possible they didnt seal and dumped water into the crankcase, but thats a little far fetched i think.

im really not sure, but ill try all this stuff tomorrow.

any thought you guys have would be cool.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mine started to squeel and it ended up knocking the bottom out of 2 lifters and cracking one down the side. initially it was a loud valvetrain noise and then the squeels and then inconsistant oil pressure and then night night she was done for. tore it apart and 2 lifters were frose in the block (1 due to a crack down the side, 1 due to the bottom being shrummed out from loosing the roller and contacting the cam) and one the roller was falling out as i pulled it out.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

i did add 7.425 pushrods. maybe too long? wasted the lifters? im swapping them out for stockers to test tomorrow also.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jed.only
i did add 7.425 pushrods. maybe too long? wasted the lifters? im swapping them out for stockers to test tomorrow also.
i doubt that. the base circle on your car is most likely .050 smaller then stock which would dictate running a 7.425 pushrod. and it would have wasted them that quick.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

bearings are dusted. ******* bullshit oil pump. i just had to change that chain that was perfectly fine and had just as much slack as the new one. thats what you get for trying to do the right thing.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

i lied. pulled motor, inspected bearings. all looked fine. i just dont get it. the glitter in the oil was slight, but it alarmed me.

Quick Reply: squeaking at crank pulley after cam/oil pump