Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gets VERY hot here... which weight oil you guys recommend...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed Good information exchange
Old 04-10-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for all the info from both of you!

and just to answer a few of your questions...

I have nothing what so ever indicating that I have any issues with my oil... I just got this engine put in my car about 3 weeks ago, and now with all the new high power adders (see my sig), being somewhat new to the Phoenix area, I'm just a little paranoid of how my car will react to the extreme heat. I've put a 160 T-Stat along with a Be Cool dual core radiator in the car. I use Mobil 1 5w30
Old 04-10-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 04-10-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Castrol (german formula) 0-30 here. I switched a few years ago from Mobile 1.

Bill
Old 04-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
Hey guys, I'm in Phoenix, AZ... as i'm sure all of you know it hit's the 120's here during the summer.

I'm a die hard Mobil 1 believer, so there is no changing my mind there... but what weight do you guys recommend for the heat?

mods in sig, if that matters...
I run 15w 50 in the summer and 10w 30 in the winter.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30. Running a thicker weight oil will increase oil temperatures, which is what you don't want. I open track my Z06 in the Texas summer and PP 10w-30 has held up great. I work with Terry Dyson and monitor engine and oil condition by way of used oil analysis. Over the last 4 years I've used Royal Purple Racing 21, Redline 5w-30, Redline 10w-30, Redline 10w-40, Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, and Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30, each with used oil analysis. Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 has produced the lowest wear and highest level of stability of all.
I wish I read this before I just spent $9/quart on redline 10w-40. Oh well this info will come in handy before the next track day.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by litle88
Castrol (german formula) 0-30
That's what I use, baby.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amsoil or Mobil1 10W-40
Old 04-19-2008, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

120*?!?!?! DAAAMMNNN... 75* here in summer.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20w50
Old 04-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Banned

A follow up here on the oil cooler. Heat is the enemy. Race teams use coolers or heat extractors for just about any fluid they can. LPE does not use a thermostat with their oil cooler as they find that no matter what the oil gets into safe operating temperature. A simple temp guage tells them what they need to know and they have never seen a need for a thermostat controlled system.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
A follow up here on the oil cooler. Heat is the enemy. Race teams use coolers or heat extractors for just about any fluid they can. LPE does not use a thermostat with their oil cooler as they find that no matter what the oil gets into safe operating temperature. A simple temp guage tells them what they need to know and they have never seen a need for a thermostat controlled system.
For a 100% race/off road application, I agree. For a car that sees street use with an oil cooler, a thermostat is needed 99% of the time to maintain optimum oil performance and keep engine wear in check.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

Not really, if you monitor it and see that your not getting into operating temperatures then you would need a therm. But it has been LPE's experience that street car oil temps get hot enough even with an oil cooler to not warrant a thermostat. I discussed it with them at length. The oil cooler block unit they sell has provisions for monitoring so I'll post up some numbers as soon as I can record some.

I imagine in some cold weather winter applications there would be issues, I would expect a performance car to not be getting driven in the snow anyway but yes you are correct an oil cooler is not for everyone.

Botton line and what your trying to stress is that proper cooling and proper lubrication are essential to engine life. Oil needs to reach operating temperatures to lubricate properly.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Not really, if you monitor it and see that your not getting into operating temperatures then you would need a therm. But it has been LPE's experience that street car oil temps get hot enough even with an oil cooler to not warrant a thermostat. I discussed it with them at length. The oil cooler block unit they sell has provisions for monitoring so I'll post up some numbers as soon as I can record some.

I imagine in some cold weather winter applications there would be issues, I would expect a performance car to not be getting driven in the snow anyway but yes you are correct an oil cooler is not for everyone.

Botton line and what your trying to stress is that proper cooling and proper lubrication are essential to engine life.
It depends on the type of oil cooler employed. Liquid to water coolers will generally keep oil temperatures in check. Liquid to air coolers pose more of a problem because of the difficutly controlling oil temperature without a thermostat.

Bottomline is really actual use of the vehicle and the supplementary systems used to combat heat or other issues. For example, using a liquid to air oil cooler without a thermostat on a daily driver/weekend warrior is a mistake.

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 04-25-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

405HP_Z06

Where are you buying Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 and how much is it a quart?

I see AdvanceAutoParts has it for $6.19 a quart.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Viper
405HP_Z06

Where are you buying Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 and how much is it a quart?

I see AdvanceAutoParts has it for $6.19 a quart.
Wal Mart 19.95 for a 5 quart container.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
It depends on the type of oil cooler employed. Liquid to water coolers will generally keep oil temperatures in check. Liquid to air coolers pose more of a problem because of the difficutly controlling oil temperature without a thermostat.

Bottomline is really actual use of the vehicle and the supplementary systems used to combat heat or other issues. For example, using a liquid to air oil cooler without a thermostat on a daily driver/week warrior is a mistake.
Not sure how you can say that without knowing whos driving where and under what conditions. Unless your monitoring and conducting a survey across the globe, which I dont see any stats being posted, your generalizing about cold oil and the avg user.

Yes cold oil is not good but you have no idea what temp this guys or other people oil temps are.

Like I said I'll monitor and post. It gets neither to hot nor to cold where I live. If I cant get my oil to operating temp obviously I'll need a thermostat system. I'll record heat up time with and without the cooler and of course oil temps with and without. As well as the atmospheric conditions. real world data stuff..lol

BUT Lingenfelter, who is not a fly by night company, tested and saw no need for a thermostat at the levels of cooling that we're talking about with an integrated cooler or thier or most aftermarket oil coolers.

Dropping it 100* with a heat extractor is for extreme applications. Yes that is not intended for the avg joe street car.

Your arguing with what Lingenfelter told me. Call them and verify or even correct what I posted about what they told me if I got it wrong.

I wont post what RD says, LOL they want to cool the world! LOL
Old 04-25-2008, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

you said you just put in a new engine? What are your bearing clearances? Some builders run bigger-not much-clearance so they can run thicker oil with a high volume pump of course. You do lose a tiny bit power but get added protection. In Az. where temps get hotter than most places-like Here n Tx(95 now)-I run 10-40. Brand dont matter as its just who you trust. I personally had probs with penzoil-had great succes with valvoline-running royal purple now. An in line oil cooler is great for any vehicle that does alot of city driving. When oil gets to hot it breaks down and turn into parafin(wax), by keeping your fluids at engine operating temps helps prolong engine life.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure how you can say that without knowing whos driving where and under what conditions. Unless your monitoring and conducting a survey across the globe, which I dont see any stats being posted, your generalizing about cold oil and the avg user.

Yes cold oil is not good but you have no idea what temp this guys or other people oil temps are.

Like I said I'll monitor and post. It gets neither to hot nor to cold where I live. If I cant get my oil to operating temp obviously I'll need a thermostat system. I'll record heat up time with and without the cooler and of course oil temps with and without. As well as the atmospheric conditions. real world data stuff..lol

BUT Lingenfelter, who is not a fly by night company, tested and saw no need for a thermostat at the levels of cooling that we're talking about with an integrated cooler or thier or most aftermarket oil coolers.

Dropping it 100* with a heat extractor is for extreme applications. Yes that is not intended for the avg joe street car.

Your arguing with what Lingenfelter told me. Call them and verify or even correct what I posted about what they told me if I got it wrong.

I wont post what RD says, LOL they want to cool the world! LOL
I constantly monitor oil temperature and have since I purchased my car new in '03. I live in the DFW area in Texas and have seen very consistent oil temps regardless of ambient temperature. On colder days it will take longer to get up to temperature but gets there and doesn't deviate much.

I'm running the stock cooling system and thermostat and here's what I've observed.

Normal oil temperature when driving on the highway (187 - 200 water temps): 197 - 205
Open track oil temperature during a 30 minute session (225 - 230 water temps): 260 - 285

I can easily elevate oil temperatures with judicious use of the accelerator pedal on the street. During these times, I generally see oil temps rise to 225 - 240.

I never made a comment about the validity of the recommendations made by LPE. From what I have experienced from real world conditions and data, what they state is off base for anywhere other than an area with consistently low ambient temperatures.

Oil temperature is not a single indicator of oil performance. Depending on engine conditions, state of tune, and other conditions oil temperature temperature us usually the least of my worries when considering oil state. For me, I use oil temperature as an indicator of how hard I'm beating on the car.

I look forward to seeing your results.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Banned

Did you use a software if so which one? I was going to use a notebook and paper..lol but if you had a software application that would make it easier. I have the EFIlive v1, but isnt working properly

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 04-26-2008 at 04:14 PM.