Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still Ticking!After Pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still Ticking!After Pushrods

After a night of racing and "overrevving" the car a lil bit I noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine or under the engine...Well I changed out the pushrods and the ticking did get slightly better but its not fully gone ..its less noticeable but still the there helppppp
Old 04-11-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

were the pushrods bent? if so, and you replaced them, and it's still ticking, they will probably bend again soon...

You could have a bad lifter...
Old 04-11-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

make sure you torqued the rockers down properly and then rechecked them.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

Ive already retorqued them...Hmmm so a bad lifter maybe?by lifter your reffering to the rockers right?

they seemed to be ok from what it looked like...the sounds coming mostly from the the drivers side/Under the car..what should I check for in the lifters?
Old 04-11-2008, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. He means the hydraulic lifter that rides on the cam lobe. You have to remove heads to get to them.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jattgunman
Ive already retorqued them...Hmmm so a bad lifter maybe?by lifter your reffering to the rockers right?

they seemed to be ok from what it looked like...the sounds coming mostly from the the drivers side/Under the car..what should I check for in the lifters?
yeah i would say a bad lifter also. I have the same exact noise in the same exact place as you.

I down shifted and overreved the car also and it happened from there. Car ran ruff and was hearing the ticking noise coming out of my exhaust tips! Snap a pushrod and bent like 4 others. Replaced with stockers (got them for free) and cars drive fine, so i figured bad lifter. So i guess its time to save up for heads/cam now since i have to tear it down.

Oh and if you ever take your heads off to replace your lifters, have your heads checked and make sure the valves arent bent as well
Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

no, not the rockers...

the LIFTERS are under your heads. You must pull the heads to get to them. Most likely a plunger on the lifter failed and it needs to be replaced. Hopefully you don't have any rod damage. I ended up having 3 bent pushrods, failed lifter, spun rod bearing, rod knock, etc...
Old 04-11-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

ahh damm lolz this sucks...So far shes driving pretty dam good but it looks like I have alot work and money to put in her now...So im guessing checking the lifters isnt something that ill be able to do...Or is not that hard?I just read a how to on removing heads and it doesnt look fun....

maybe let her break and then just build her better??
Old 04-11-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

ahh damm lolz this sucks...So far shes driving pretty dam good but it looks like I have alot work and money to put in her now...So im guessing checking the lifters isnt something that ill be able to do...Or is not that hard?I just read a how to on removing heads and it doesnt look fun....

maybe let her break and then just build her better??
mine ran ok to for a while... even put down 300rwhp on the dyno while I had all those things wrong with it...

then the noise got worse and worse where we decided to pull the engine apart...

the heads aren't an easy job. You definatly need help if your a beginner at this stuff. But many people on here have done it by themselves...

www.ls1howto.com
Old 04-11-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

yea I read the ls1howto write up lolz im pretty sure I could do it with my dads help and everyone on the forum ive got the tools...But ill wait a lil bit and see how the car runs..cus my dad will prob flip out
Old 04-11-2008, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

my car runs strong too even with the ticking noise, but im just trying to do a head/cam swap soon so i dont cause any further damage.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

if its primarilly on one side, check very very close for an exhaust leak, the start of a header/manifold leak can sound just like a bad lifter.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

Yes ive already checked the exhaust
Is there any way to take a look at the lifters by removing the intake manifold only?Or do i have to take apart everythingggg?
Old 04-12-2008, 12:51 AM
TECH Resident

not on an ls engine, they way they are made you have to pull the head to get to the lifters.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

id take the head off and have it checked out,, we had a couple cars that bent pushrods and it got quieter after we changed them, but it bent valves too..
Old 04-12-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

so after showing a couple of people that I know the sound ,theiire all saying that its prob not a big deal and one dude said it might be a exhaust leak since its coming from the bottom of the engine..and my dad told me not to tear it apart even though I told it would be alot cheaper to figure it out now than later...he said hell pay if it goes bad cus he thinks it wont...o well Im pretty much stuck
Old 04-12-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

my money is on the start of an exhuast leak that you just cant see yet, but i would do a compression check, and leak down test to rule out anything serious, if it all checks out ok, do like dad said and just drive it..... get louder exhaust or a bigger amp and speakers, that will cure it.lol
Old 04-13-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

Lolz Im still not sold on the exhaust leak because its more of a metal sound but then again im always proven wrong haha...Hopefully its a exhaust leak but that wouldnt explain the sound getting quiter after I changed the pushrods.....maybe I should throw my sub back in there lolz problem solved until the car breaks down

im pretty sure I could tear the car down in one good day and check the lifters..would I have to replace my head bolts and gaskets to ?
Old 04-13-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

well its hard to describe it and know from talking about it..... but if it sounds like a lifter and is lower and more on one side that is my bet.... but more metalic and down low scares me more than it being a lifter.... um yeah put your sub back in and pray.lol
Old 04-13-2008, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"would I have to replace my head bolts and gaskets to ?"

Yes