Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Scorpions vs YT Ultralights Rocker

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:19 PM
cjh
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Scorpions vs YT Ultralights Rocker

Somehow, my HS rebuilt stockers failed so I am needing a new set. I've search and narrowed them down to these two rocker sets. I know the YT are good and haven't seen anyone with problems with them but have heard the scorpions did have issues early on with the casting. Anyone know if this has been corrected? I don't want to do any mods to make them fit and I like the price on them.

thx
Old 04-14-2008, 06:01 AM
TECH Regular

i was told YT because of the shaft design.. i will let you know cause i am doing alot of test this week and next on rockers with my motor....
Old 04-14-2008, 06:05 AM
TECH Resident

keep me updated...

i want to see difference btwn harland sharp 1.7 RR vs yellaterras 1.7
Old 04-14-2008, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have installed the YT's on a friends car and picked up a set for my new setup as well. It is critical with either of these rockers that the wipe pattern be established first, then measure for pushrod length. By the way, the YT instructions are very confusing and LS1howto is not correct in setting them up so don't follow that either.

The YT's have a longer history and I have never read of a failure.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

curious about this too. I'll be paying attention on this. I was interested in the scorpions also.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:51 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

I voted YT ultra lights. Except for the pedestal they're mounted on, they look to be a good design.

I have heard good things about Scorpions, but I have seen one fail. Cracked right through the pushrod cup. I don't know the cause, whether it be a weak casting/design or improper setup, but I haven't seen a YT fail yet.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Scorpions broke after a thousand or so miles. One cup broke completely off and two more were cracked. Now I have YT UL's with no problems. The YT design is so much beefier it is not even a contest in my mind. YT's all the way.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Someone on the GTO site broke a set of Scorpions, they were replaced and the second set broke.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KCS
I voted YT ultra lights. Except for the pedestal they're mounted on, they look to be a good design.

I have heard good things about Scorpions, but I have seen one fail. Cracked right through the pushrod cup. I don't know the cause, whether it be a weak casting/design or improper setup, but I haven't seen a YT fail yet.

Just my 2 cents.

whats wrong with there pedestals?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I have installed the YT's on a friends car and picked up a set for my new setup as well. It is critical with either of these rockers that the wipe pattern be established first, then measure for pushrod length. By the way, the YT instructions are very confusing and LS1howto is not correct in setting them up so don't follow that either.

The YT's have a longer history and I have never read of a failure.

so how do you set them up?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jow02327
so how do you set them up?
Use a set of checking springs and set the wipe using shims if necessary, once shim thickness is determined, order shims that are the correct thickness so only one shim per pedestal is used (preferred). This is only if you need something other than what YT provides. Once the wipe is correct, measure for pushrod length as shims will change pushrod length by approximately 0.016" for every 0.010" of shim. Here's how I did mine, note Tony Mamo's posts near the end of the thread: Link
Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by jow02327
whats wrong with there pedestals?
Nothing is wrong with YT's pedestals, it's just that they are pedestal and not on a stand. I obviously have no Spintron data or anything back this up, but it seems that the little pedestals the rockers sit on aren't very rigid or supportive to the rocker. I think 99% of the time, the pedestals are OK, but a stand would be better.

Still, for the money the Yella Terra's are a nice piece.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the early style YT's and having seen the new UL's up close. YT all the way. If you research you will see that most max effort setups are using them.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
I have the early style YT's and having seen the new UL's up close. YT all the way. If you research you will see that most max effort setups are using them.
most max efforts are and were using harland sharps... the YT's are fairly new and now we are seeing them being used more.. I want to know whats the advantage, if any besides being lighter. Next time around I will definitely upgrade but IF I need to... the harland sharps for me have been flawless and I rev mine out to 7k.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, not sure what everyone is saying about "max effort" stuff, but last time I checked the most hardcore rockers were the Jesel setup.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:42 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by CraZee ZO6
most max efforts are and were using harland sharps... the YT's are fairly new and now we are seeing them being used more.. I want to know whats the advantage, if any besides being lighter. Next time around I will definitely upgrade but IF I need to... the harland sharps for me have been flawless and I rev mine out to 7k.
The Yella Terra's have (man, there's no other way to say this...) a nice thick shaft, while the Harland Sharps are thinner, and supposedly less rigid.

And yes, if it's not runing some sort of shaft mount rocker system like Jesel/T&D/Crower, it's probably not a "max effort" setup.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

I've run all 3. I started with the Harland Sharps and had no issues except I had to clearance the heads. They interfered with the head at the pushrod end. These were aftermarket heads. Then I installed a set of Jesel's. I think these are by far the best but I had these issues with them: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869543&highlight==

I'm now running the YT's due to the above problem.

Having run both pedestal and stand mounted rockers I can tell you that I prefer the stand mounted vs the pedestal. My biggest complaint about pedestal rockers is the it's very hard to get a repeatable precision seating spot. This is due to the preload engaging as the rocker is torqued down. The rocker will invariably move a bit. With a stand there is usually a centerless ground channel and the shafts fit into them assuring a repeatable seating.

I liked all three rockers.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

90 per cent of the YT Ultra lites we have run needed the spacers for the best geometry. I liked the Scorpions a lot too but saw 4 sets break like KCS said so we stopped using them.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by cjh
Somehow, my HS rebuilt stockers failed so I am needing a new set.

When were they purchased? Here is a thread I started about a week ago and may explain the problem with them.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cs-inside.html
Old 03-23-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

I have the Scorpion 1.7's on my WS6 & I am going to install some Harland Sharp 1.7's on my truck I just bought.