Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTO or Ws6

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are both nice cars, i have a WS6. Actually came VERY close to buying a brand new 6.0 GTO (the dark orange sunset whatever they call that color) Car looked sharp. The main reason i didnt is the price. Basically i could have a stock GTO. Or a used T/A and put the money i saved into that, which is what im doing. But i am happy with my choice, if you look you can find some super clean T/A's out there.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

gto are nice but heavy, and i wouldnt get a gto unless it had a ls2, but they are pretty price still, i vote ta
Old 04-28-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm.... lemme think...

A spruced up Grand Prix

or

A beasty, hungry for a honda, bull nostriled, in your face, feed me, get up and slap your mama bad *** hunk of muscle!

i swear... i'm not biased...
Old 04-29-2008, 03:37 AM
TECH Resident

Default I can't lie

The GTO does look just like a Grand prix or grand am.. I know the GTO guys are going to hate this but its true. They look a lot like a chevy malibu. 1 more vote for the ws6
Old 04-29-2008, 05:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
DD = Goat. Weekend = WS6 (and mod the pi$$ out of it)
I agree 100%

Each car has a very different feel to it. I couldn't DD even a stock ws6, but I'd have no problem driving the GTO everyday if I had to. But on the other hand when my WS6 went down last summer and the GTO was the only toy, I really started to miss the muscle car feel after awhile.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:15 AM
12 Second Club

i would get the ws6 also....... you wouldnt want to buy a dressed down camaro (gto) cause they are pretty much the same car. they are heavy and are crappy cars...... this is coming from the same people whose names are on waiting list to get one of these pigs when it comes out with a different dress on.

if you want to be invisible to cops i would say gto....... and a ls2 if you can..... i have an ls1 i am really happy with it. and never had any problems with f-bodies.

if its just a weekend car(with a little bit of acceleration challenges) get the f-body but remember they are a lot cheaper now and therefore younger folks can afford them/beat the **** out of them. not to mention the mileage put on them. but none the less if it was a second car f-body.....
Old 04-29-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
hmmm.... lemme think...

A spruced up Grand Prix

or

A beasty, hungry for a honda, bull nostriled, in your face, feed me, get up and slap your mama bad *** hunk of muscle!

i swear... i'm not biased...
LOL I love this!!! Sorry GTO fans!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

I have an SS dumdumdumdum.... This is a bad *** car

On the down side the Goat looks like a ricer...

....But I wish I had a goat with IRS since I like fast corners, and a more refined suspension....
Old 04-29-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

I'll try to boil this down since a lot of people are injecting inflammatory opinions:

Age of car important? Is so edge to GTO simply because it is newer.

Warranty? Most likely the GTO still has a little bit left.

All out drag car? Edge to WS6 due to solid axle and a small weight advantage.

Handling? Stock for stock the WS6 probably has a small edge, the GTO has some inferior stock bushings. Once modded its anyone's game but with the IRS the GTO has a bit of an advantage.

Power? stock WS6 may beat the LS1 GTO but the LS2 GTO will probably come out on top.

Room? Trunk space is pretty miserable in both but I think the GTO wins by a small margin. Do you need to seat 4 people the the GTO surely wins that.

Comfort? GTO has a higher driving position, better visibility and interior.

Looks? This is subjective. Many say the GTO (especially the 04) is plain. (cavalier, Grandam, grand prix, etc) Some say the WS6 is dated (I've heard it called the batmobile or mulletmobile). Really its up to you on this one.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CABRO
i would get the ws6 also....... you wouldnt want to buy a dressed down camaro (gto) cause they are pretty much the same car. they are heavy and are crappy cars........
I'll give you the heavy part. But crappy? The fit and finish in any GTO is far superior to anything GM is currently putting out, except the new G8. I've had nothing to praise on my car from people with everthing from a C6 Z06's to old LT1 T/A's. Don't say the car is crappy becuase it didn't fullfill what you wanted in a car.

To the OP, the only way you are going to be able to decide for yourself is to go and drive both vehicles. Then, and only then, will you be able to know which decision you want to make.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

Another Plus for the GTO is there are not a million of them! You belong to a small select few. Something as to be said for that. I see more Vettes, Camaros, TransAms, Mustangs then GTOs that is for sure. The 04 is a pure sleaper will keep you out of trouble and is very mod friendly. I personaly like the 05 hood and have it on my car as well as some other 05/06 upgrades.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

I think the GTOs are pretty freaking sweet cars. I particularly like the 04's ( I detest the fakes scoops on the 05-06s). That being said, I'm an F-Body guy. Although, I have to concede that the GTO build quality is light years ahead of the F-Body's.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by deadcities
I think the GTOs are pretty freaking sweet cars. I particularly like the 04's ( I detest the fakes scoops on the 05-06s). That being said, I'm an F-Body guy. Although, I have to concede that the GTO build quality is light years ahead of the F-Body's.
Who lied to you? Our scoops are functional.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
ws6 hands down
Yup--Goats are waaay too plain looking.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

definitely WS6!! the car just looks bad ***!! the interior in a T/A is pretty nice also with some cool seats.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

To each is there own I guess. I have a WS6 and love it! I however want a GTO for a DD.

Its all preference I think. This is always an on going debate, but always an interesting one at that. This type of thread is always a good read.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
definitely WS6!! the car just looks bad ***!! the interior in a T/A is pretty nice also with some cool seats.
I'll agree on the cars exterior looks all the way.

but..........

I have to disagree with you there bro about the interior. (yes like my previous statement, to each is there own and its all preference)

I think the interior of an F-body is so tacky. GTO is out of the park nice and comfortable.

I prefer a mustangs interior over an F-bodies personally (one with a leather package so like a Mach 1/GT style, if you will, snobby of me to say I know.).
Old 04-29-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

you are asking this question on ls1tech? 90% of these guys are the quintessential "be the same as us or you're a lame ***" f-bod owner stereotypes, so obviously you will get these type of answers.

I had a 2000 ws6, and an 04 GTO. if I had to buy both new again, id get the gto. the ws6 had 8,000 miles on it when I bought it, and it was already starting to rattle inside and out. the body seams all sucked, it could carve corners nicely but any type of bump would throw it around badly (wheras the gto just sucks up the bump and stays planted). the upside is tire sizes, weight, and street tire traction. Looks are purely subjective, the WS6 is a gaudy attention *****, and the GTO is a refined slick looking machine. Other than its weight, a few IRS issues and tire size problems, the gto has it all over the F-body. every time you look at and feel a GTO, it screams quality. no rattles, no squeaks, perfect body panel fit, etc. I drove the WS6 one last time when I was delivering it to the dealer, and going from the gto to that was like going from a Ferrari to a Fiat.

also, if stock for stock you manual trans WS6 guys think you can hang with a manual trans goat on the highway, you're on crack. in the 1/4 the GTOs were slightly lacking, but that close ratio between 4th 5th and 6th will ****** roll on the highway.

If you want a cheap, rough riding race car that you can DD, WS6.
If you cant stand loose ****, rattles, squeaks, and want something that is fast, refined, and classy. GTO.

flame away
Old 04-29-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

I dont know if that first statement you said was directed towards me or not, but despite if it was. Thank you for your input regarding what you stated after that of your comparison and contrast of your F-body and goat.

The reason I say this is going back to what I say before; I want a GTO as a DD, an 04 at that, couldnt really care for years and from what I've seen and what I've been worried the GTO not living up to standards of my WS6 was in stock form. The fun factor if you will. Thanks for your comments they re-assured me of what I can expect and remeber of my F-bodyin stock form.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Phantom_LS2
Who lied to you? Our scoops are functional.
What do they do? Let some air out?

Quick Reply: GTO or Ws6