Sponsored by:

GTO or Ws6

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deadcities
What do they do? Let some air out?
I think I remeber reading in GM High Tech that they do let out heat and the LS2 does not like to be put in a hot lap situation if you will, so this can benefit. Someone please correct me if I'am wrong.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlexLs1
I dont know if that first statement you said was directed towards me or not, but despite if it was. Thank you for your input regarding what you stated after that of your comparison and contrast of your F-body and goat.
No it wasnt. didnt see your posts until after I wrote that. You seem like you have a good grasp on the differences between the two

It just chaps my *** when I see some of these mornic comments on the GTO when half of the people writing them havent even seen one, let alone driven them back to back. they all talk big about track times, but where do most of them spend 99.99% of the time? the street!

Don't get me wrong, I have my beef with the GTO too, search some of my older posts on here about the wheel hop and suspension (and retarded driveshaft). I call them like I see em.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya I have to admit that the WS6 "is a gaudy attention *****". As i drive by poeple all look. It must be what a hot girl feels like. My friend has a GTO nice fast "spruced up Grand Prix" No one looks as you drive by. On the highway poeple see the WS6 coming and get out of the way. GTO is just car. A nice fast car. So what do you want? A attention ***** or fast Grand Prix?
Old 04-29-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
No it wasnt. didnt see your posts until after I wrote that. You seem like you have a good grasp on the differences between the two

It just chaps my *** when I see some of these mornic comments on the GTO when half of the people writing them havent even seen one, let alone driven them back to back. they all talk big about track times, but where do most of them spend 99.99% of the time? the street!

Don't get me wrong, I have my beef with the GTO too, search some of my older posts on here about the wheel hop and suspension (and retarded driveshaft). I call them like I see em.

I've done my research and read all about the hop and bad suspension they come with and how its out of alignment etc. Just a flaw. But again its the principle.

I see what your saying about people posting this that regarding numbers and such street or strip. It gets old its on every forum/section. I agree completely.

Whats your overall thoughts on a GTO, would you buy one again if you had the chance over your TBSS? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't know why people hate on the f-body interiors so much. my t/a w/ 81k doesnt rattle or squeak at all...the only interior rattle is the seatbelt vibrating against the passenger seat. as fasr as styling and interior quality, all i can honestly compare it too is by friend's '04 mustang (shudder) and the t/a has it hands down. the gm pleather is a little more plasticy, but besides that just about every material seems to be nicer: the console, the dash, the door inserts. maybe i'm not comparing it to the right kind of car??? all of the cars i drive are gm by coincidence, '03 suburban and '02 trailblazer so maybe it's just a gm minus the GTO thing??? i really don't know.

i just can't get over the plain appearance of the GTOs...they look like a longer, more stylish audi TT to me. i guess it really is a matter of opinion.

personally (and i'm about as far from mullet as you can get - no inbreeding here lol) i don't mind the muscle car feel in a muscle car. if i wanted a nice civilized DD i'd be driving a cobalt; i like to be reminded that i drive a trans am.

as far as IRS goes, i've driven IRS and live axle cars - either way, by the time it matters i'll be so far from stock you won't even be able to use my experience

in summary, either way you go: happy hunting!!
Old 04-29-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
Ya I have to admit that the WS6 "is a gaudy attention *****". As i drive by poeple all look. It must be what a hot girl feels like. My friend has a GTO nice fast "spruced up Grand Prix" No one looks as you drive by. On the highway poeple see the WS6 coming and get out of the way. GTO is just car. A nice fast car. So what do you want? A attention ***** or fast Grand Prix?

You must know the feeling of getting starred down by the cops hanging out at the gas station as your fill it up. Or a similar situation.

I hate it, I usually get followed out as well. But they way the car is I guess its arguable that I bring it on my self.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

But at the same time the cops are looking so are the girls. lol
Old 04-29-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whats your overall thoughts on a GTO, would you buy one again if you had the chance over your TBSS? If you don't mind me asking.
I'd love to have both, its not really fair to compare the 2 tho because they serve two totally different markets. I was tired of pulling boats around in a slow *** truck, and getting tools wet when I was going somewhere. not to mention my truck was a single cab, so no going out with friends in my ride. I really miss dropping the GTO in sixth gear on the open road and cruising to miami, orlando, or tampa for a night of debauchery. It was very comfortable, didnt attract the law, and got decent mileage. It was a bitch to drive in the rain in traffic tho, and thats an every day thing in the summer down here. The SS is 4 door, the suspension is an excellent design, it hooks up well no matter what weather, is relatively quick, and it hauls a boat nicely. Because of how well rounded the TBSS is (and the fact that its hilarious when you stomp a car with a "soccer mommy SUV) Id say if i had to choose, the ss would be it.

I'll probably end up with a G8 in a couple years, if that tells ya anything.

You must know the feeling of getting starred down by the cops hanging out at the gas station as your fill it up. Or a similar situation.

I hate it, I usually get followed out as well. But they way the car is I guess its arguable that I bring it on my self.
my WS6 was "write me up red" I got more unwanted attention in that than i could imagine. Got compliments on all of them. usually the GTO got, "damn thats an awesome car" or "Nice clean car man" the ws6 generally got the "thats badass" or asking how fast it was. The TBSS has had more female parts in it than all the others put together, and gets all kinds of compliments too... I never really needed a car to get chicks anyways. I actually perfer them to NOT know what I drive or what I own when we first meet, it weeds out the gold diggers and superficial ones.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO ws6 looks a lot better, but the interior on goats is badass!
Old 04-29-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess this exterior v. interior argument boils down to:
do you want other people to love you riding in your car or do you want you to love you riding in your car.

i have a major vanity problem, ergo, the t/a lol
Old 04-29-2008, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

Interior of the GTO= compared to the TA but they are heavy and a smoked a brand new 06 with a almost stock ls1 a4.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

you are asking this question on ls1tech? 90% of these guys are the quintessential "be the same as us or you're a lame ***" f-bod owner stereotypes, so obviously you will get these type of answers.

I had a 2000 ws6, and an 04 GTO. if I had to buy both new again, id get the gto. the ws6 had 8,000 miles on it when I bought it, and it was already starting to rattle inside and out. the body seams all sucked, it could carve corners nicely but any type of bump would throw it around badly (wheras the gto just sucks up the bump and stays planted). the upside is tire sizes, weight, and street tire traction. Looks are purely subjective, the WS6 is a gaudy attention *****, and the GTO is a refined slick looking machine. Other than its weight, a few IRS issues and tire size problems, the gto has it all over the F-body. every time you look at and feel a GTO, it screams quality. no rattles, no squeaks, perfect body panel fit, etc. I drove the WS6 one last time when I was delivering it to the dealer, and going from the gto to that was like going from a Ferrari to a Fiat.

also, if stock for stock you manual trans WS6 guys think you can hang with a manual trans goat on the highway, you're on crack. in the 1/4 the GTOs were slightly lacking, but that close ratio between 4th 5th and 6th will ****** roll on the highway.

If you want a cheap, rough riding race car that you can DD, WS6.
If you cant stand loose ****, rattles, squeaks, and want something that is fast, refined, and classy. GTO.

flame away
If I wanted refined and classy, I'd go with a G35 or Lexus's 250. It reminds me of when I read about what Europeans have to say about the new Z06...They always say something like how rough it rides, like you buy a Z06 for luxury. I could honestly car less if it had a smooth ride or not. I've ridden in a lot of Firebirds/Camaros and own a Firehawk, and I don't have any noise issues (80k miles).
Old 04-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Banned

Exactly ! My 02 Z/28 Vert has almost 70,000 miles and NO rattles or squeeks and ridin on the stock 16' wheels and tires it rides pretty darn smooth . Sounds like you may have gotten a bad one .
Old 04-29-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I will take my WS.6 over a goat any day of the week.

The goat just blends in, and I really don't like that. and it looks like a grand prix.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
Interior of the GTO= compared to the TA but they are heavy and a smoked a brand new 06 with a almost stock ls1 a4.

You can wake up now....
Old 04-29-2008, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phantom_LS2
I'll give you the heavy part. But crappy? The fit and finish in any GTO is far superior to anything GM is currently putting out, except the new G8. I've had nothing to praise on my car from people with everthing from a C6 Z06's to old LT1 T/A's. Don't say the car is crappy becuase it didn't fullfill what you wanted in a car.

To the OP, the only way you are going to be able to decide for yourself is to go and drive both vehicles. Then, and only then, will you be able to know which decision you want to make.
i was being a smartass....... i drive a gto too.... i love my car. i just dont want anyone else to have one.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Banned

ws6 all the way!!!
Old 04-30-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Really it boils down to preference. I'll tell you what I don't like about both:
GTO: Styling, IRS, Weight, Small *** tires
WS-6: Interior, sucks to work on, weak 10 bolt
Test drive both and just see what you think. That's about all you can do. You can't make your decisions off of what somebody else thinks.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rocksws6
Really it boils down to preference. You can't make your decisions off of what somebody else thinks.
very true!!!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

I'd love to have both, its not really fair to compare the 2 tho because they serve two totally different markets. I was tired of pulling boats around in a slow *** truck, and getting tools wet when I was going somewhere. not to mention my truck was a single cab, so no going out with friends in my ride. I really miss dropping the GTO in sixth gear on the open road and cruising to miami, orlando, or tampa for a night of debauchery. It was very comfortable, didnt attract the law, and got decent mileage. It was a bitch to drive in the rain in traffic tho, and thats an every day thing in the summer down here. The SS is 4 door, the suspension is an excellent design, it hooks up well no matter what weather, is relatively quick, and it hauls a boat nicely. Because of how well rounded the TBSS is (and the fact that its hilarious when you stomp a car with a "soccer mommy SUV) Id say if i had to choose, the ss would be it.

I'll probably end up with a G8 in a couple years, if that tells ya anything.

my WS6 was "write me up red" I got more unwanted attention in that than i could imagine. Got compliments on all of them. usually the GTO got, "damn thats an awesome car" or "Nice clean car man" the ws6 generally got the "thats badass" or asking how fast it was. The TBSS has had more female parts in it than all the others put together, and gets all kinds of compliments too... I never really needed a car to get chicks anyways. I actually perfer them to NOT know what I drive or what I own when we first meet, it weeds out the gold diggers and superficial ones.
Thanks for the write up. I agree with everything you said.

G8's; I a friend on here CamaroSS who works for a magazine and he got given a G8 to test drive and he took it to the strip, he got the stock times out of it. He currently has a 05 GTO, and he said get a GTO or fork over the extra cash for a CTS-V. Just food for the thought, but its all opinion. You seem very content with your current car, I personally think it would be a great car to DD. Just what I heard, but chatting with you from these previous posts, I'am sure you do more than your needed research.

I live in Sarasota so a trip up to O-town, or Tampa is always nice being so close.

Thanks again man

Originally Posted by Puppet_Master
If I wanted refined and classy, I'd go with a G35 or Lexus's 250. It reminds me of when I read about what Europeans have to say about the new Z06...They always say something like how rough it rides, like you buy a Z06 for luxury. I could honestly car less if it had a smooth ride or not. I've ridden in a lot of Firebirds/Camaros and own a Firehawk, and I don't have any noise issues (80k miles).
Yes but its nice to have some comfort. Especially when you spend all that money.
Originally Posted by CABRO
very true!!!
See post 36.

Quick Reply: GTO or Ws6