Old 05-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuild

How much does it roughly cost to rebuild an ls1
Old 05-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All depends on where you live and whos doing the work, what parts you go with and how extensive a job you do. I would charge you about 800 minimum just for block work, line honing and such( balancing). Then you add in parts and getting the crank magnafluxed.. my guess is about $2000 with you doing the assembly. Just an off the top of my head guess, could be more could be less.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

I'm in the process of getting it down now. I have an overlapped connecting rod bearing and a crank that is scored (not sure how bad). I am not doing any of the work myself. I'll keep you posted on the extent of what parts I am going to need and the labour costs.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
All depends on where you live and whos doing the work, what parts you go with and how extensive a job you do. I would charge you about 800 minimum just for block work, line honing and such( balancing). Then you add in parts and getting the crank magnafluxed.. my guess is about $2000 with you doing the assembly. Just an off the top of my head guess, could be more could be less.
U kno; i was wondering the same thing. i kinda figured on about $2K. That's if nothing is bent, broken, and/or otherwise fucked up. Then, by the time u add in any mods; H/C/I/E/Tune (parts AND labor) it is probably going to cost MORE then a turn key long block. SLP has their 402 for a hair over $8K. I can't justify spending the same or more on my stock LS1 and end up with less power and no warrenty. At least with the long block all the parts have a warrenty as well as the labor, and everything is matched and tested.

i dunno
Old 05-12-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did my complete 347 forged for 3gs. Thats for all machine work and parts.. Cost me $275 for machine work (ex. Block vatted, Bore/hone, Balance (flywheel, crank, pressure plate, and rods), installed cam bearings, Turned my crank). So actually its not bad at all if your doing a stock rebuild.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bjamick
I did my complete 347 forged for 3gs. Thats for all machine work and parts.. Cost me $275 for machine work (ex. Block vatted, Bore/hone, Balance (flywheel, crank, pressure plate, and rods), installed cam bearings, Turned my crank). So actually its not bad at all if your doing a stock rebuild.
yea but im not! lol.

i have been reading A LOT on internal **** and really thinking about what i want. I just can't see it cositing me significantly less then $8K; i can't justify putting that into my stock block when i can get a 402 for the same price.

I mean h/c/tune is going to be about @3K just in parts.
I have some piston slap so i would get my bottom end redone as well.

by the time u factor in labor and parts, as well as machining. it MIGHT be $1.5K less. That is assuming nothing is fucked up and needs to be replaced. Also; knowing hoe i am i wouldn't replace any rebuild pieces with stock OEM replacements. I would def use ARP studs and better barings. So i wouldn't be saving anything.

Then there is the fact that a long block is warrentied, and all parts are matched.

If you're going for stock, then it is worth it. I just don't understand why people spend so much money modding their stock block when they could have a long block with better performance for the same price.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Launching!

why dont u just find a used low mile shortblock?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not a 402 from Scoggins? About $4200 for the short block. Otherwise, bore/hone your block for $150, buy new pistons, and if you need a crank, there are plenty of stock ones for sale cheap. Upgrade the rods for $300-400. Done. All depends on what you want then you're done.