Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

500+ RWHP, N/A, A4, Full Interior, Daily drivers............

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 500+ RWHP, N/A, A4, Full Interior, Daily drivers............

If you drove it alot without the tuning for the injectors you can easily wash the rings.
This thought has been ruled out long ago, can't be. I don't think someone as knowledgable as Mike Norris is going to wideband my car on his dyno and say, "cars all ready, here ya go it's perfect", if it was that rich.

Old 08-20-2003, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thing that has me doubting the rings is the great power you made up to 5000rpm (485RWHP) if you had a ring problem you wouldnt be close to that power level at that rpm. I am sure you guys will find the source of the problem after the leakdown/compression test and possible head removal.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Thing that has me doubting the rings is the great power you made up to 5000rpm (485RWHP) if you had a ring problem you wouldnt be close to that power level at that rpm. I am sure you guys will find the source of the problem after the leakdown/compression test and possible head removal.
But since the factory pump starting failing at around 4,800, the dyno runs were always aborted. So I never went near WOT to hear the detonation. Maybe after I got the fuel system in and was finally able to go WOT, that first detonation totally trashed the rings and thats why now I'm down on power and it's not as powerful as it was before. When I spoke to Wade on the phone he told me that one single detonation event can waste all the rings. So my motor may have been a ticking time bomb up to the day I went WOT because the rings were always letting allot of oil past the rings, it just wasn't apparent because I never went WOT. But the massive oil burn, like I've always said, was there since day one and never stopped.

I think if I had the Racetronix set up installed in the beginning and Mike Norris was able to go WOT on day one, he would have gotten the detonation and we would have known the rings were bad from the beginning.
It just seems when anyone has a problem with a motor, like "iateyourcat" had with his, and the motor has been driven at all, blame can be put on so many things.
All I can say is that I didn't hurt that motor in that 2 months, I drove it under 5,000rpm like I was told to do. It was not too rich. And the first time EVER that I go WOT it detonates horribly.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, but there are clouds of smoke shooting out of the back of his car like a James Bond smoke screen. It sounds like atleast a couple of the rings are bad or the valve seals are blown one or the other. PCV can't cause that much smoke I don't think.

I know they'll figure it out, but I'm as curious as anyone at this point.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, but there are clouds of smoke shooting out of the back of his car like a James Bond smoke screen. It sounds like atleast a couple of the rings are bad or the valve seals are blown one or the other. PCV can't cause that much smoke I don't think.

I know they'll figure it out, but I'm as curious as anyone at this point.
Intake and TB are clean as a whistle of oil.

I think all 8 rings are toast.

Smoke screen is an understatement.

I'm just glad the motor is running like a dream otherwise. That being the case, it has to be bad rings.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:35 PM
EuG
On The Tree

Quickin,

But since the factory pump starting failing at around 4,800, the dyno runs were always aborted. So I never went near WOT to hear the detonation. Maybe after I got the fuel system in and was finally able to go WOT, that first detonation totally trashed the rings and thats why
WOT = Wide Open Throttle (just in case you didn’t know)

Trust me, you did go WOT to dyno 485rwHP @ 5000rpm
There’s no point of dyno w/o going WOT

Also FYI: detonation is not always audible.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Quickin,

But since the factory pump starting failing at around 4,800, the dyno runs were always aborted. So I never went near WOT to hear the detonation. Maybe after I got the fuel system in and was finally able to go WOT, that first detonation totally trashed the rings and thats why
WOT = Wide Open Throttle (just in case you didn’t know)

Trust me, you did go WOT to dyno 485rwHP @ 5000rpm
There’s no point of dyno w/o going WOT

Also FYI: detonation is not always audible.

When you go WOT it doesn't mean that the rpm's have pegged though. The runs were aborted as the rpm's were climbing and he saw the fuel pressure failing.
I guess I should say the motor never went near redline till I got the Racetronix installed. 5,000 was the highest rpm the motor ever saw till the pump went in.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

One thing I haven't mentioned: I took my plugs out about 1 1/2 months ago. All 8 were dripping in raw clean oil when I took them out and wet oil was halfway up the threads.
The plugs had burnt layers of oil all over them.