Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regarding the issue of a shop warrantying a stroker engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 03:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Regarding the issue of a shop warrantying a stroker engine

As for someone stepping up to assist, Mike wasn't given the opportunity to do so prior to the repairs being performed elsewhere. Why can't you admit that iateyourcat handled this poorly?
MMS was given an opportunity to do something immediately. They said they would do nothing.

Hey, I can back up everything I've said. Why are you intent on lying here?
Old 08-24-2003, 03:34 AM
Launching!

Bottom line is MMS was not given an initial chance to correct the problem. the repairs were made on his own!!!!!
Plonk. Wrong. Did you read the thread?

I thought this was dead (and I'm not out to hammer an Internal Engine thread with customer satisfaction issues) but if people are going to start lying about what I did or didn't do I'm going to have to set the record straight.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

As for the legal question, the customer was advised that nitrous engines have no warranty. The customer did not dispute this fact.
Yes, I do dispute this fact. And, as far as facts go why don't you make sure you have one before you start putting words in my mouth.
You stated that MMS advised you that nitrous engines do not have a warranty. The fact that you still purchased the engine leads me to believe that you did not dispute this

Regarding your comment about giving MMS the opportunity to step up, you stated earlier that you contacted a salesperson - not Mike Morgan. A matter of this nature should have been escalated directly to the business owner immediately.

What absolutely amazes me is that in your first thread on this topic, you stated that you were interested in hearing everyone's opinion. In reality, you are only interested in hearing opinions that support your case. If anyone posts to the contrary, you are quick to take a confrontational approach and snap back with belligerent comments. Rather than admitting that you could have handled this better, you are relentless in your anti-MMS crusade. I have no vested interest in either side, so I have the luxury of being totally objective. I have given equal consideration to the facts posted by both sides, and I honestly believe that you handled this very poorly. You spent a lot of money on an engine, and it failed. You are upset, and rightfully so. However, don't let your emotions cloud your objectivity and judgement. In any business dealings, it is best to give the other side the same consideration that you expect. You should have contacted Mike Morgan before repairs were made.

Old 08-25-2003, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

A company doesn't have to legally cover product outside of a warranty, but's it goes a long way for customer satisfaction.
Promoting customer satisfaction in this type of issue is only beneficial to the company if the lifetime customer value is positive. Over the life of a business relationship, the cost of doing business with some customers exceeds the benefit to the business. This thread is a classic example. The customer in the link posted by J-Rod will forever be an advocate of that business. He handled the situation very well, and the relationship is mutually beneficial. With some other customers, it's best for the business to cut their losses and invest that time, effort, and money in seeking new customers and serving other existing customers.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:16 PM
Launching!

As for the legal question, the customer was advised that nitrous engines have no warranty. The customer did not dispute this fact.
Yes, I do dispute this fact. And, as far as facts go why don't you make sure you have one before you start putting words in my mouth.
You stated that MMS advised you that nitrous engines do not have a warranty. The fact that you still purchased the engine leads me to believe that you did not dispute this
Stick your rolling eyes up your a$$. You're twisting my words. I said quote

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------

Al says "there's no warranty on nitrous engines." It doesn't matter that I haven't run nitrous. It's not even installed yet.

----------------------------------------------------------

This was after the fact; after the engine blew to ****; no, after the engine dropped multiple sleeves as was the case with a large number of resleeved blocks at that time. It looks like maybe you can't read so does that clarify my statement for you? Would you like me to use smaller words next time? Something you can understand?

I'm interested in hearing objective opinions. You don't have one so **** off.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:21 PM
Launching!

A company doesn't have to legally cover product outside of a warranty, but's it goes a long way for customer satisfaction.
Promoting customer satisfaction in this type of issue is only beneficial to the company if the lifetime customer value is positive. Over the life of a business relationship, the cost of doing business with some customers exceeds the benefit to the business. This thread is a classic example. The customer in the link posted by J-Rod will forever be an advocate of that business. He handled the situation very well, and the relationship is mutually beneficial. With some other customers, it's best for the business to cut their losses and invest that time, effort, and money in seeking new customers and serving other existing customers.
The value of this thread may have already cost MMS much more than paying for my repairs. And, the more you talk/lie the more it may cost them.

Again, you keep sticking your opinion in here when you don't know, and don't want to know, or are simply uncapable of understanding, the entire issue. I see MMS's point of view, that's why I wasn't asking for a complete refund after being sold a defective engine. I only asked for the exact cost of getting it fixed, minus over half of the C5R block and minus the rods that I upgraded. The lawyer won't be so generous.

You're trying to paint this the same way McRat did in the beginning. If you step back and take a cognitive look at this you'd see you're wrong.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

The behavior you displayed in your latest round of replies clearly displays exactly what I'm referring to. I stated my observations and you fired back with a personal attack. I've stated my opinion, and it's blatantly obvious that your limited perspective will remain unchanged. I wish you the best of luck. I am well versed in California law, and you will likely only add to the loss that you have already incurred.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Was there a guarantee the product be fit for service after purchase? Seems like the dropped sleeves and the two sleeves touching pretty much prove the product wasn't fit for useage. Those sleeves were touching when the block was sleeved and are clearly a workmanship issue.

Even if a product has no warranty, if a business sells you a product that is supposed to work and you find clear evidence the workmanship defective, isn't there a legal obligation to make the product serviceable or make it right? Otherwise, a business could delibertly sell defective products then claim oops no warranty.

Likewise, if a nitrous motor has no warranty/ guarantee of any kind there is a built in excuse if it blows up or is defective.

If MMS was taking care of the intake and the intake delayed the motor being used until May of this year. Wouldn't the warranty start in May of this year?

Wouldn't the engine be warrantied until the engine was actually sprayed? In other words, the warranty is voided if it's sprayed. If it's not sprayed then the warranty is valid for one year from the time it went into service not one year from date of manufacture?

I'm just asking, I don't know the legal angles...

Old 08-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Launching!

The behavior you displayed in your latest round of replies clearly displays exactly what I'm referring to. I stated my observations and you fired back with a personal attack. I've stated my opinion, and it's blatantly obvious that your limited perspective will remain unchanged. I wish you the best of luck. I am well versed in California law, and you will likely only add to the loss that you have already incurred.
I understand. You twist my words, misrepresent to people what I've said and then get upset because I'm personally hostile towards you. I was ripped of for $17k. You're only a small part of my hostility.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Oh you're right.....your interpretation of the situation differs from mine, so it's ok to make insulting personal remarks. Let me see if I have this right - you insinuated that I'm stupid, but you're the one who is out $17K on a junk engine.....hhhhmmmmm
Old 08-26-2003, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does his intelligence have to do with being out almost 20 grand on a junk engine? Sounds like a problem with the engine builder personally since its a dropped sleeve. You come in here defending MMS then you tell him he's stupid for having a 17k junk engine from them? Lol you make a WHOLE lot of sense bud.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

What does his intelligence have to do with being out almost 20 grand on a junk engine? Sounds like a problem with the engine builder personally since its a dropped sleeve. You come in here defending MMS then you tell him he's stupid for having a 17k junk engine from them? Lol you make a WHOLE lot of sense bud.
Perhaps my point has alluded you, "bud". In the interest of better understanding, allow me to summarize.

1. iateyourcat asked for opinions regarding his situation in multiple threads, on multiple forums.

2. I stated that I believe he should have contacted the owner of the shop for resolution before having repairs performed.

3. iateyourcat disagrees with my opinion and posted personal insults, insinuating that I am stupid.

4. In my last response, which you referenced, I'm simply pointing out that he is quick to insult others, but if he had put a little more thought into how to properly handle this issue the outcome would have likely been very different (see the link posted by JRod). It would have required less than half as much effort as he's invested in bantering back and forth with me. Hence, who is really being stupid?
Old 08-26-2003, 07:32 PM
Launching!

bla bla ...insinuating that I am stupid.

There you go misconsturing my statements again. I wasn't insinuating. I'm stating; you are stupid.

The only alternative is that you're deliberatly misrepresenting my statements.

Won't someone close this rag? Or move it another forum. I deliberately stayed out of this thread until someone started putting words in my mouth. But, it has nothing to do with engines at this point. We should thank J-Rod for showing us a good example of customer/merchant relations but the thread has strayed from that now.

Thanks to ls1tech for allowing threads like tihs enough time to get some good thoughts in. You don't see that everywhere.

I'm going to go have a beer now and get ready for my wedding party Sunday.

Old 08-26-2003, 08:12 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, boys and girls enough. This is not a thread started so that we could re-hash the iateyourcat / MMS issue. Time and the courts will decide this one. So, lets not re-has it. It serves no purpose but as an object lesson on things that should be avoided if possible in any future events which may be similar.

I think both sides have had their say (again). So, lets focus on the topic at hand, and not beat up on iateyour cat or Mike since thats not going to do anyone any good.

And basically if it doesn't we'll lock the thread.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I have another question, about sponsor/buyer relations/interactions.

Say you have a set of heads that have an issue and you email the sponser about the problem. The sponsor only calls back and never responds in writing. Let's say your dealing directly with the owner of the company. There is NEVER a trace of what the sponsor said or promised. If you asked for an email confirming the discussion, it's never sent. How do you deal with that?
Old 08-26-2003, 11:19 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have the same issue at work. I require that anyone I deal with do it via email. That way there is a paper copy of who said what. Phone conversations can always end up in a you vs them scenario. If its on paper, at least you have a bit more leverage. But, a busy shop owner may not have time to email you and thus tries to call. You might specifically say that you'd like an email response...
Old 08-27-2003, 05:40 AM
9 Second Club

who is really being stupid?
Both of you, for arguing on the internet I'm sure you both think your right, but I'll tell ya bickering on the net like a couple school girls won't get you anywhere. you gave your opinion, leave it at that, this is my opinion, I've never heard anything too good come out of MMS except mystical dyno numbers, and Terry running good times and crapping on all the other vendor's products, skills, etc although hes not affiliated or compensated by MMS you think he was! no offense to him he just loves HP im sure.

I have been in a similar situation where a vendor built a motor for my car (422), and it dropped a sleeve, talked to said shop and they replaced it no questions asked, (it was a old design and one of the first 422s made at that shop) and a while after we recieved the motor, and the car was sold to me from a friend that couldnt afford to have something like that terrible to happen and be SOL. I spoke with the shop and they said even though, I am not the origional buyer of the motor, they understood the situation and would help me out in anyway with the motor if I had any issues, they know the motor was still new and never fired up, good nuff for me, hopefully I won't have to deal with that though.

my point in this rant is, if something fails yes I think the person who built the motor should get to look at it first and make an assessment, this is called CYA they built it they have to fix it if its a defect, simple no complications, its a done deal, they are owed that I beleive, especially if you are gonna ask them to take care of it!

well I'm done tell me im crazy, stupid, whatever you want, I can handle some comments and not reply.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:03 PM
Launching!

my point in this rant is, if something fails yes I think the person who built the motor should get to look at it first and make an assessment, this is called CYA they built it they have to fix it if its a defect, simple no complications, its a done deal, they are owed that I beleive, especially if you are gonna ask them to take care of it!

well I'm done tell me im crazy, stupid, whatever you want, I can handle some comments and not reply.
I think you're 100% right. What do you do though if the builder won't do anything about the problem? Some people think "eat the cost and never buy from them again". On the other side you have legal action. Those seem to be the only two options. ..and I'm talking about my case directly. Let's just assume it's any joe schmoe.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Both of you, for arguing on the internet I'm sure you both think your right, but I'll tell ya bickering on the net like a couple school girls won't get you anywhere. you gave your opinion, leave it at that, this is my opinion, I've never heard anything too good come out of MMS except mystical dyno numbers, and Terry running good times and crapping on all the other vendor's products, skills, etc although hes not affiliated or compensated by MMS you think he was! no offense to him he just loves HP im sure.

Hey now don't drag me into this...

Personally I think the smart thing for iateyourcat to do would have been to not touch the engine until a resolution with MMS could be agreed on. At this point he's already decided to repair the engine himself, there is no longer any way for an independent party to verify if MMS did anything wrong and there is no way for iateyourcat to return the product.

I think gentlemanly thing for MMS to do would be to repair his damaged block to its proper specifications (reinstall the sleeve that dropped or what have you), but given iateyourcats attitude (which borders libel), and MMS's very large customer base of laywers (its LA what do you expect!), I can see why MMS would prefer to just let the lawyers handle it. Who knows he might be able to counter sue iateyourcat for potential lost business if the court finds in MMS' favor!
Old 08-27-2003, 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

PS. I was reading the MTI thread, maybe I missed something. It sounds like MTI sent the guy some new headgaskets? Was that the resolution you're all talking about? What if they don't fix the problem?