Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which is more Logical?
Build a floor out of plywood sheets and use a cart
0%
Build a frame to rest the car on and work underneath it
0%
Other opinions...
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Need advice FAST!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need advice FAST!

I've got a little predicament... had to pull my engine when I was on leave back home in IL cuz I broke a head bolt in the block. I pulled it from the bottom which was fairly easy considering I had no space and used the raftors with a comealong to do my lifting. I got the car back here in Jersey where I don't have a garage to work in, and my driveway is pretty much sand. So I figured I would put the engine in from the top, which I got the shortblock in but was a huge pain in my ***. Now I realized it'll be a pain in the *** to install my headers, transmission will be a HUGE B****! and I can't figure out where the wiring harness goes. All this would be easier with the engine out of the car. I don't have a lot of time since I deploy Sept and am moving out of the house while I'm gone (everything will be in storage). And I would rather do it here so I can come home from work and work on it as long as I want to, not worry about where my tools are or if I brought the ones I need, etc. etc. etc.

I have the shortblock together with camshaft, damper, water pump, oil pan, front/rear covers, clutch assy, and bellhousing all in the car now.

So I'm looking at two options, but if someone has a different opinion PLEASE let me know!

1) Lay down some sheets of plywood, set the engine on a cart, lift the car up with my engine hoist and roll the engine out to work on.

2) Leave the engine on jack stands, lift the car up with my engine hoist, build some sort of frame to set the car on so I won't be scared of getting crushed, and work on the engine underneath the car.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 AM
9 Second Club

same perdicament... i would like to know as well.. BTW what part of jerzey are you in
Old 07-16-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

southern by Ft Dix, burlington county
Old 07-16-2008, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first option seems better to me but you are the expert - I have replaced the crossmember in my driveway but have not pulled the engine. Removing the shortblock may seem like extra work but I would much prefer assembling the engine and transmission away from the sand. Also, it will be much easier to do a good job with the motor out. What is confusing about the harness?

Last edited by Gary Z; 07-16-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you already have the motor in the car, dont pull it back out just to install the transmission and wiring harness? The wiring harness will go back together ALOT easier than you think. And you just need to get the car up about 2 feet to get the tranny under there. A second set of hands here really help!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Dumb question, most bases have a facility where you can work in your car, including lifts. Isn't there one at Fr. Dix?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think there is one at Ft.Dix, when I was there mob'ing, they were using up all of the motorpool space for working on humvee's that were coming from all the different units. Plus, there really isn't an active unit there, only trainers and such, so its mainly just a mobilization base, so its a different type of base then say Ft.Bragg.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 PM
10 Second Club

Easy, if its only the shortblock in the car, put the headers in place then put the heads on, intake, etc....

Jack the car up, put it on jack stands, put the tranny in.

The wiring harness is a breeze once the rest of the motor is in place.
Im a little too far away to give you a hand but PM me if you have any problems.