Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the BEST HEADS for a N/A 346?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
Is an aftermarket rocker setup needed for those heads as well? If you do than I would stick with AFRs for a budget.

Larry
I went with the tfs heads, currently doing the swap as we speak. Kinda hard to get it done though with me having to watch my daughter and not recieving all the parts yet. It will come along, no hurry. Not a dd
Old 09-10-2008, 03:21 AM
TECH Resident

tfs are definitely worth the extra cost of running roller rockers for the GAIN!

afr tfs cant even be compared.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes as cast TFS with rockers will be a little less $$$ than AFR's. Is it better??? Dunno???

Last edited by SOMbitch; 09-10-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's lots of good options when selecting a good quality cylinder head. The TFS cnc ported head & ET 11 degree head are both nice IMHO. We recently dyno tested our new PRC 215cc casting as we start to finalize port designs before going into full production. Here's a dyno sheet comparing them to a competitors 205cc head, and our PRC Stage 2.5 5.3l head that sells for $1200!!

404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 09-10-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

test the TFS and ETP's and compare on that graph
Old 09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CraZee ZO6
test the TFS and ETP's and compare on that graph
We tried to get a set of TrickFlows for the testing and we unable to get them in time. We hope to test them in the future though!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:02 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by holley505
so cartex stage 4 heads in your opinion?
quite obviosly that would be my first choise... I have hjad excelent results with then. The heads were ported 2 years ago, and of all the cars I know off with the new Trick Flow Heads making 500+ HP I have not yet heard of any running my times. Though I am sure they will and might already have. Just havn't seen it.

In the time I have had these heads they have gone though a few revisions, picking up more power. Now imagine if I had the revisions done... I would probobly be faster than 10.32...

If you do not go with CARTEK Heads, my second choise would be Trick Flow's

I still think the 215 is a bit too small if you are going to build an all out effort 346 car, so I personaly would go with a larger runner CNC's head and have CARTEK work them over on the porting bench. But thats just me...
Old 09-10-2008, 06:48 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's definately a lot of good quality aftermarket casting heads available, The TFS, & ET heads are both first rate! I'm proud of how our budget minded 5.3l stage 2.5 heads held up in the comparison, I think the PRC head will hold up very well next to the TFS & ET head when they are completed. We've installed just about every brand cylinder head here at our shop & the ET & TFS heads are definately nice.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 09-10-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW... I just spoke with Tony from AFR. And I keep getting the TFS heads and Cartek heads... coming up all over the place.

The ETP heads I am sure are GOOD... But you guys need to realize I am sticking with my 224 comp cam .581/.581 112

So max effort BIG FLOW may not help me... I am thinking mostly strong Mid RANGE power. I would love to run low 11s without any changes to my street driving.

I think that is possible with strong mid range...headers... under drive pulley.... Looking for low 11.3@119 from my 12.2@112

just a hope... I dont want to run a roll...bar.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:58 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by holley505
WOW... I just spoke with Tony from AFR. And I keep getting the TFS heads and Cartek heads... coming up all over the place.

The ETP heads I am sure are GOOD... But you guys need to realize I am sticking with my 224 comp cam .581/.581 112

So max effort BIG FLOW may not help me... I am thinking mostly strong Mid RANGE power. I would love to run low 11s without any changes to my street driving.

I think that is possible with strong mid range...headers... under drive pulley.... Looking for low 11.3@119 from my 12.2@112

just a hope... I dont want to run a roll...bar.
I ran 11.32 @ 122.28 with a 218/222 cam and ported 853's... both were purchased used.

You really don't need top quality stuff to run 11.3

You may be better off with a ported 241 head, keeps the price down, and will get you 11.3 with good driving, good suspention, and decent track...
Old 09-11-2008, 05:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

cartek are going to run you up to 1k more than tfs...
4x are 2700
and add anther 650 for a core charge if you dont have a set of ls6 heads to give them.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had a offer to buy used cartek heads and ported 5.3 heads... Or new heads. But the car is a KEEPER... so I am leaning to the new ones.

As far as running low 11s... if I can go faster and still have excellent drivability ..YEAH.. I would take that, but I can't see going with one head or the other making the difference from lows 11s to high 10s just from AFRs, Cartek4x, PRC5.3 only... without proper cam and intake.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9secondsflat
cartek are going to run you up to 1k more than tfs...
4x are 2700
and add anther 650 for a core charge if you dont have a set of ls6 heads to give them.
Man thats expensive for stock ported heads....head prices should be basic
on the cost to cast them or the cost to have them ported.. Noway does
it cost that much for hand or CNC porting and valve springs and valves.
Or maybe for that cost it includes the patented CARTEK handshake. It's worth
3 tenths
Old 09-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Launching!

I like Trick Flows.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:50 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
Man thats expensive for stock ported heads....head prices should be basic
on the cost to cast them or the cost to have them ported.. Noway does
it cost that much for hand or CNC porting and valve springs and valves.
Or maybe for that cost it includes the patented CARTEK handshake. It's worth
3 tenths
Well when you consider how much time goes into porting a stock LS6 head into a 4x profile you would understand the price.

Not to mention the fact that they are proven at the track... ie: my car. And the cost of the other components that go into them, valves, comp 921 and so on. My heads were the first 4X heads, and it took from April to November to R&D the new design. Clearly they work.

Of coarse you can say I am biased, but I don't don't get a dime for a pair of heads sold. I just honestly believe that as far as stock castings go, CARTEK 4X are the best. No off the shelf CNC head can touch them. But if you start working over a Trick Flow Head, then they will be a killer set as well. However, after you buy the Trick Flows, then have them ported, polished, machined, valve job'ed, assembled and so on... Im willing to bet that they will cost more then a 4X 243 head.

I dont know about the handshake, but the CARTEK Banner on the car is worth a proven .1 and 1mph lol
Old 09-11-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not true, TEA, TFS heads from Vengeance Racing are all one price no bs, stage 1,2,3, 4 crap. and as far as flow the intakes on the Cartek are hogged out far greater than 215 cc head so the result is you loose daily driving low end grunt. you many have top end pull but 99.9% of the time no one drives at wot. my tea tfs heads outflowed and outpulled my lingenfelter ls6 cnc heads at every rpm from 2000 - 6500 no comparision. the dyno does not lie..people do.

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
Well when you consider how much time goes into porting a stock LS6 head into a 4x profile you would understand the price.

Not to mention the fact that they are proven at the track... ie: my car. And the cost of the other components that go into them, valves, comp 921 and so on. My heads were the first 4X heads, and it took from April to November to R&D the new design. Clearly they work.

Of coarse you can say I am biased, but I don't don't get a dime for a pair of heads sold. I just honestly believe that as far as stock castings go, CARTEK 4X are the best. No off the shelf CNC head can touch them. But if you start working over a Trick Flow Head, then they will be a killer set as well. However, after you buy the Trick Flows, then have them ported, polished, machined, valve job'ed, assembled and so on... Im willing to bet that they will cost more then a 4X 243 head.

I dont know about the handshake, but the CARTEK Banner on the car is worth a proven .1 and 1mph lol
Old 09-11-2008, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

If 11.3 is your goal with good drivabilty, then get a set of ported 243's or 241's or 5.3's and you will only spend half the money and still meet your goals.

I have a set of AFR 205's and a set of TSP 243's on my camaro right now. The AFR's are going on the 383 I am building.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmmm....
Old 09-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Banned

I'm not sure why people think quality shouldn't cost money.

Sometimes you don't get what you pay for, but even more rarely do you get something you don't pay for.

Cartek 4X or T4P WP 243's if you want the best. Or try to pay Futral enough money to get a set of Larry Meaux 243's.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01

I have been around in the head porting and installation of new valves/springs
and the cost isn't that high, especially if you send alot of heads to the company thats doing the CNC work...I'm sure CARTEK gets a much better rate for sending quantity. But, from your cars times i have to agree that the CARTEK heads are DAMN good hands down..I've been working with LS1 cars since '99 and their heads are one of the most killer performing.

P.S. I don't think you are biased, i think that you have a killer setup and you post how happy you are
with your heads...nothing wrong with that...you are posting about an excellent set of heads, there's
nothing wrong with that...nice times Alex.

Quick Reply: What are the BEST HEADS for a N/A 346?