Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the BEST HEADS for a N/A 346?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well despite some of the arguments, there is some great info in this thread. After reading all the posts, I am now confused. I was planning on getting Trick flows from TEA milled down but as I can tell from previous post that they do not com ported. I am ok with spending the money but I want to make sure I get as much power as possible. My car is a street car so I am going with a small cam so I can retain Low RPM Torque and its not daily driven whats so ever. Is porting the heads worth the extra money? I want to run High to Mid 10's and I know its possible from the many threads I have read. Mike at TEA has been great help but I haven't spoke with him in a while and I plan on putting my order in soon. Any suggestions are welcome. I just want to make sure I am getting the power I want, I dont want to spend all this money and still not be satisfied. Thanks

Gabe
Old 09-24-2008, 02:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KMS.1320
I'm not sure why people think quality shouldn't cost money.

Sometimes you don't get what you pay for, but even more rarely do you get something you don't pay for.

Cartek 4X or T4P WP 243's if you want the best. Or try to pay Futral enough money to get a set of Larry Meaux 243's.
Larry Meaux really knows his **** about cylinder heads. I thought about getting him to look at my TFS215 heads to see if he could do anything else with them.. Allen Futral built the motor in my car.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by holley505
Other reason... I am kinda iffy against the TFS... a friend of mine has a 445 RWHP camaro M6 with TFS heads... makes great dyno numbers...

Cant beat me on the Street... I know ... I know driver, which is more of the reason... But still... I kill him out the HOLE... and he doesnt have enough to catch me on the street.
I have the trick flow heads and I'll race you on the street!!
Old 09-24-2008, 03:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's late or early depends how ya look at ot..lol. But i just was browsing about heads and cams. I'm sure alot know this but look how many cam only cars that run crazy numbers.
Now if our small heads like the 241 heads max out at around 240cfm and 243's max out at 260 or so, do we really need as much flow as possible like 300cfm for an example? So just some ideas here take a stock unported 243 head that flows 260+cfm which is nice flow.
And guys are running 230 duration cams and running some awesome times, see what i'm saying? So for the majority of us wanted to keep the car very streetable, we only need a cam to maximize for our 243 heads. If guys in street cars running low 11's with unported 243's why spend a fortune on reinventing the wheel and buy $2000-$2700 or more on heads?
Unless u want a gutted out all out car. Just playing devils advicate..lol.
Also the unported runner will keep it's velocity high enough for nice around town driving. If you pick the right cam for your power needs and driveability just go with a slighty more aggressive n/a cam. Like for 11'8 or so with an A4 with a Vig3200 and a Comp218/224 or close you got your times. And the actual small runner size will keep up the air speed ( velocity ) which not only retains your
broad power band better the runner will keep a cap on the peakyness off a larger cam....something to think about. Back in the day alot of guys said the B1 wouldnt be worth a damn w/o ported heads with larger valves blah blah blag...well guys stuck um in there '98 and '99 f-bodies and fooled alot of na sayers..lol. B1 and 4.10 and bamb 11.7's or better and this was LS1Edit wasn't even a wet dream yet...only tuning was drilling the TB blade and using the old MAFT....damn that was a cool time.lol Something to think about.
Be honest and decide if you're building a strip car with larger heads/cam or a street car. Then in some cases a good cam and stock heads might be better.
Food for thought.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey big mouth, you got a Wally?? know what one is? i got one...they dont just hand them out to every one who shows up at the track. Oh, but i know thats a NHRA sanctioned event, it doesnt count...

and i would have no problem putting a heartin on your *** on the street, this is the guy who smoked a 07 z06 with a cam, header, tune package from a tuner on this forum...

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
^^ I got the time slip thats for sure..and another showing i ran a 11.001 @ 127.71.
But i asked you first for some times that you ran....apparently u dont have um idiot. I also got witnesses that were there as well. I'll see if i can dig them
up....so now u can go pat yourself on your own back thinking you got me or something stupid that idiots usually think. SO u can believe what u
want, but i hope i can dig um up to hopefully shut u up already
Well so what times have you ran? Dont worry about the slips i'll believe ya
Do a search under my screen name and search when i posted my times back in the day. But since you called me a wanna be i'll give ya a list of the mods my WS6 had on it and maybe you'll also be able to see that hitting 10's wasn't too
difficult, oh better yet, whats your idea of a wanna be? Is it a guy that
thinks just cause he owns a ZO6 that me owns the road? I street raced a few c5 ZO6's with my WS6 even before i had nitrous and beat everyone of them...is that wanna be good enough for ya???
Anyway until i can post my slips heres the mods i had:

Stock ported 241 castings with 918 springs.
Comp 216/220 .525/.532 114lsa+2 installed striaght up.
FLP headers w/ cats delete pipes.
Stock mild ported TB
Stock MAF w/o screen
SLP lid w/Holley green filter
Vig.3600 2.5 str stall
B&M shift kit and 19,000GVW cooler
Borla exhaust
TNT 125hp wet shot
TR6 plugs
Stock 10 w/3.23 gears
Stock front suspension
BMR panhard rod
BMR adjustable torque arm
BMR lower control arms
Very heavy SLP double diamond subframes
Weld rear Prostar's with Hoosier QTP's 26x11.5x15
And self tuned with LS1-Edit.
Pulled 408rwhp & 396rwtq
Best time 10.93@ 127.7 a crappy 1.68 60' time
All parts were self installed except Vig3600 since a lift was used.
Anyone with the know how can see @ 127 with a 3,550 raceweight and a better 60' the car had 10'6 or definately 10.7's maybe faster.
So there CraZeeZO6 lets here your parts list and lets hear some
times you ran. With the parts i listed and installed on my own its a bet that
i'm not a "WANNA BE" i'm more of a "BEEN THERE DONE THAT" and to quote you too..LOL. You up!!
P.S. I have "10 second club" inder my screen name...so Ls1tech moderators are lying for me too?
Old 09-24-2008, 06:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Baby needs a bottle? you can bolt on a bottle to any piece of **** and run fast....big deal......in the words of Gale Banks, get a better job, go to school , build a stroker, bolt on a turbo...

Bottle= Puzzy

^^ I got the time slip thats for sure..and another showing i ran a 11.001 @ 127.71.
But i asked you first for some times that you ran....apparently u dont have um idiot. I also got witnesses that were there as well. I'll see if i can dig them
up....so now u can go pat yourself on your own back thinking you got me or something stupid that idiots usually think. SO u can believe what u
want, but i hope i can dig um up to hopefully shut u up already
Well so what times have you ran? Dont worry about the slips i'll believe ya
Do a search under my screen name and search when i posted my times back in the day. But since you called me a wanna be i'll give ya a list of the mods my WS6 had on it and maybe you'll also be able to see that hitting 10's wasn't too
difficult, oh better yet, whats your idea of a wanna be? Is it a guy that
thinks just cause he owns a ZO6 that me owns the road? I street raced a few c5 ZO6's with my WS6 even before i had nitrous and beat everyone of them...is that wanna be good enough for ya???
Anyway until i can post my slips heres the mods i had:

Stock ported 241 castings with 918 springs.
Comp 216/220 .525/.532 114lsa+2 installed striaght up.
FLP headers w/ cats delete pipes.
Stock mild ported TB
Stock MAF w/o screen
SLP lid w/Holley green filter
Vig.3600 2.5 str stall
B&M shift kit and 19,000GVW cooler
Borla exhaust
TNT 125hp wet shot
TR6 plugs
Stock 10 w/3.23 gears
Stock front suspension
BMR panhard rod
BMR adjustable torque arm
BMR lower control arms
Very heavy SLP double diamond subframes
Weld rear Prostar's with Hoosier QTP's 26x11.5x15
And self tuned with LS1-Edit.
Pulled 408rwhp & 396rwtq
Best time 10.93@ 127.7 a crappy 1.68 60' time
All parts were self installed except Vig3600 since a lift was used.
Anyone with the know how can see @ 127 with a 3,550 raceweight and a better 60' the car had 10'6 or definately 10.7's maybe faster.
So there CraZeeZO6 lets here your parts list and lets hear some
times you ran. With the parts i listed and installed on my own its a bet that
i'm not a "WANNA BE" i'm more of a "BEEN THERE DONE THAT" and to quote you too..LOL. You up!!
P.S. I have "10 second club" inder my screen name...so Ls1tech moderators are lying for me too?
Old 09-24-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9secondsflat
Hey big mouth, you got a Wally?? know what one is? i got one...they dont just hand them out to every one who shows up at the track. Oh, but i know thats a NHRA sanctioned event, it doesnt count...

and i would have no problem putting a heartin on your *** on the street, this is the guy who smoked a 07 z06 with a cam, header, tune package from a tuner on this forum...
Who are your post pointing too? I hope its not i cause i know i never stated
anywhere that i beat a 2007 ZO6. And whats a Wally? There was no Wally
it was just a normal friday night open to all street cars. No a event.
On please show me the post were i said i even raced a 2007 ZO6 let alone win!!!

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 09-24-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

If you're talking to me dude get over it already...Plus i admitted in post #120 that i was
one of the guys that steered the OP thread ofcourse and i manned up and appologized
but CraZeeZO6 wanted to still act out. And what i run on my car is none of your business
period!! My gripe was with him about my small little setup running 10'9 @ 127. How you get there doesn't mean jack. So use larger cams, which does what? Allow more air/fuel into the
motor. Next blowers/turbos also do what? Allow more air/fuel in the motor. And heres the thing...NITROUS does the same thing...allows more air/fuel. So why you get all assed up
with what someone runs to reach a goal. It was my goal to hit 10's i did and liked it, so what? I ran one more race with it then never installed the bottle back in the car again.
And the last thing that i'm ever gonna post in this thread any longer cause it has little to do with what the OP wanted. So here it is...i had to scan a copy of my 10.93 timeslip and email it to someone on this site, cant remember since it was back in 2004, So thats why i have the
" 10 Second Club " title under my Screen name. It wasn't a 10 second NA club, just a 10 second club. When i ran 10.93 it was just on street nite, no special event. I'd watch your post where you call out another member on this board its a no-no CASE CLOSED.

P.S. If i had my WS6 i would run you now, but u know i'm stock so you'll talk all this
**** talk. Since lastweek i've been re-entergized to get my setup fully complete. Then we'll see if you put a hurting on my *** BTW whats a "heartin"?
And any brat can buy a Vette and pay a months salary to get a turbo tuned...
So its apparent anyone with no mechanical skills and more money than brains can pay someone to bolt a POS turbo kit in if it isn;t tuned right? Did you install your own parts and tune it??
Whats that douchebag says no...

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 09-24-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Teching In

I think this is getting out of topic. Personally, and from my very limited experience, I would say the question is too "broad" to get a specific answer. Run a poll thread with the same title and decide from that result of that poll. That is what I would do.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whats a Wally??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21831907@N07/2109672542/
Old 09-24-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

months salary....your a sucker, just say bahhhhh you pathetic sheep. i am retired at 41. "go anywhere do anything with no lookbacks or regrets...." and fool its n/a not turbo, and no baby bottle...and i would kick your azz six ways from sunday on the street....now go back and stick your thumb up your azz or in your mouth.....baby needs his bottle its almost 9pm....SUCKER, just say bahhhhh

If you're talking to me dude get over it already...Plus i admitted in post #120 that i was
one of the guys that steered the OP thread ofcourse and i manned up and appologized
but CraZeeZO6 wanted to still act out. And what i run on my car is none of your business
period!! My gripe was with him about my small little setup running 10'9 @ 127. How you get there doesn't mean jack. So use larger cams, which does what? Allow more air/fuel into the
motor. Next blowers/turbos also do what? Allow more air/fuel in the motor. And heres the thing...NITROUS does the same thing...allows more air/fuel. So why you get all assed up
with what someone runs to reach a goal. It was my goal to hit 10's i did and liked it, so what? I ran one more race with it then never installed the bottle back in the car again.
And the last thing that i'm ever gonna post in this thread any longer cause it has little to do with what the OP wanted. So here it is...i had to scan a copy of my 10.93 timeslip and email it to someone on this site, cant remember since it was back in 2004, So thats why i have the
" 10 Second Club " title under my Screen name. It wasn't a 10 second NA club, just a 10 second club. When i ran 10.93 it was just on street nite, no special event. I'd watch your post where you call out another member on this board its a no-no CASE CLOSED.

P.S. If i had my WS6 i would run you now, but u know i'm stock so you'll talk all this
**** talk. Since lastweek i've been re-entergized to get my setup fully complete. Then we'll see if you put a hurting on my *** BTW whats a "heartin"?
And any brat can buy a Vette and pay a months salary to get a turbo tuned...
So its apparent anyone with no mechanical skills and more money than brains can pay someone to bolt a POS turbo kit in if it isn;t tuned right? Did you install your own parts and tune it??
Whats that douchebag says no...
Old 09-24-2008, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

months salary....your a sucker, just say bahhhhh you pathetic sheep. i am retired at 41. "go anywhere do anything with no lookbacks or regrets...." and fool its n/a not turbo, and no baby bottle...and i would kick your azz six ways from sunday on the street....now go back and stick your thumb up your azz or in your mouth.....baby needs his bottle its almost 9pm....SUCKER, just say bahhhhh
I will ask again jerk..what times do u run? You got ***** calling anyone a baby, do you wprk on your own car? Or do u pay someone?

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 09-24-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

And since u are calling me out it's run what u brung, so it doesn;t matter
if i run FI, N2O or cubes and like stated earlier calling someone out on here is
a no-no.

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 09-24-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Everyone grow up.

I vote TFS 215's, I went 10's on motor with a 348ci, 11:1 and those heads.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Most guys that talk **** like you at your age dont know how to drive or
the fact that the cars too fast for you and it scares the *hit out of you
Or more likely than not you are just laying in bed with your hand under the covers wishing you can either really own this car or atleast learn to drive it.
You say you beat a '07 ZO6 but ill bet the car was stock other than maybe bolt ons and wasn't even trying. So stop the **** talking and lets hear if you do your own work, do you atleast wash it With my buddies help my car will be ready in no time....Oh i dont think your dyno numbers are correct You ain't kicking no ones azz six ways from sunday....90% of your quote up top here are friggin catch phrases..lol. Looks like someone got a book of catch phrases as an early X-Mas gift
Old 09-24-2008, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry John i'm done now, but after what me wrote to me i needed to stick up
for mytself...but i'm done.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Does look like the TFS heads and AFR's are the main 2 heads
here.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

you win bro.. your faster on the internet than me.

back to the OP.

TRICKFLOW 215 heads the best on the market for the ls motors
Old 09-24-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sf35thle
Well despite some of the arguments, there is some great info in this thread. After reading all the posts, I am now confused. I was planning on getting Trick flows from TEA milled down but as I can tell from previous post that they do not com ported. I am ok with spending the money but I want to make sure I get as much power as possible. My car is a street car so I am going with a small cam so I can retain Low RPM Torque and its not daily driven whats so ever. Is porting the heads worth the extra money? I want to run High to Mid 10's and I know its possible from the many threads I have read. Mike at TEA has been great help but I haven't spoke with him in a while and I plan on putting my order in soon. Any suggestions are welcome. I just want to make sure I am getting the power I want, I dont want to spend all this money and still not be satisfied. Thanks

Gabe
Dont be hesistant to work with TEA and TRICKFLOW you will have one sweet package. Just the Trickflow 215 heads the way they come. They are that good all the same dont need extra porting polishing by hand, just setting up.I recommend milling those heads to 59cc for a nice setup.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CraZee ZO6
Dont be hesistant to work with TEA and TRICKFLOW you will have one sweet package. Just the Trickflow 215 heads the way they come. They are that good all the same dont need extra porting polishing by hand, just setting up.I recommend milling those heads to 59cc for a nice setup.
Thanks for the response, I wasn't expecting much since all the arguing lol. I planned on 59cc so you took the works right out of my mouth. I am confident that if I take my time and work with TEA I will be satisfied. Mike at TEA has been great help and thanks for answering the porting question, I haven't had a chance to call mike yet so i wasn't sure. Besides the arguing this thread is very helpful, lets try and keep it that way fellas lol. Thanks again for the responses guys, I really appreciate the help.

SF35THLE

Quick Reply: What are the BEST HEADS for a N/A 346?