Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I get the Patriot LS6 heads in question?
Hell yes! Snag `em!
60.00%
Definitely not well suited for your application. Wait and get something else.
40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Dilemma... Patriot 68cc LS6 heads on stock displacement LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma... Patriot 68cc LS6 heads on stock displacement LS1?

H'ok, so...

My `99 SS has 106K on the clock and i'm pretty sure the top end could use some "freshening up". Not only because of the mileage, but because I discovered after purchasing the vehicle that the previous owner had a nitrous kit on it. So this leads me to start looking for an extra set of heads to rebuild so there's no down time when i'm ready to do everything. Just yank the old ones off and throw the new ones on. Boom. Done.

So I post up in the wanted parts section here on the board that i'm looking for some 243 heads and and LS6 intake while i'm at it. I get a PM from a very nice gentleman from one of the board sponsors who makes me a hell of a deal. He tells me that he has a set of used bare Patriot LS6 heads that have already been hot tanked and cleaned, and a used LS6 intake manifold he'll sell to me for $500 SHIPPED.

So... i'm all happy in the pants at this point like... holy s**t, that's a hell of a deal! So I get the actual part number of the heads from him and go to look them up on Patriot's web site.

Here's my dilemma...

These are the heads in question: https://www.patriot-performance.com/...&cat=37&page=2

They have 68cc chambers, which according to the "Head cc volume = what compression ratio?" thread in this section, it will put me around 9.8 to 9.9:1 compression. As well as 2.08/1.60 valves and 227 intake runners.

I know these heads are technically probably better suited for larger displacement or turbo/nitrous builds, but since it's such a good deal price-wise, should I still pick them up and throw them on anyway? I'm not too keen on the idea of dropping my compression ratio that low, but is there a way through the head gasket or other means of bumping it back up a bit?

I figure even if it's a bit much for the current bottom end, if I decide to go bigger down the road, i'll already have the heads for it. I dunno... maybe i'm way off. That's why i'd like some good opinions from you folks. I've read endless amounts of threads regarding heads in the last three days while sitting at work (see, you CAN get paid to browse car forums all day LOL), but I couldn't really find anything that fit my particular situation.

Yes, I used the search function before posting.

Oh, and I guess while we're at it...

Also, i'd like a few opinions on a cam that would complement these particular heads. Looking for something in the mid to semi-high .500 lift range. Not really looking to go wild over .600 since this is my daily driver. Maybe in the future, but not for now. I was considering an 02+ Z06 cam. What do you guys think about that? Bigger than the GMPP Hot Cam and still has a nice smooth idle, but a decent amount of lift. Again, I did use the search function and i've read lots of cam vs head threads in the last few days, but still am not sure what makes a cam well suited to certain heads.

Fire away!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Wow, 20 views and no responses yet? This forum is usually pretty good about jumping on peoples questions. Oh well... maybe it's cause I posted late at night. Just figured i'd give it a bump for the morning crowd so it doesn't get buried on the next page so quick. LOL
Old 09-11-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

the factory LS6 heads will be fine on a stock cubed motor. Look at the z06's.... You would basically turn your LS1 to a LS6 by using those heads and a ls6 cam.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

Not sure how much these heads differ from stock, or what size cam you are running. The price seems right and you can always get them milled to whatever spec you want.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/960233-cam-2-sets-heads-fs.html
head set #2 + 224 cam

fewer problems with above
Old 09-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28poweredlt1
Not sure how much these heads differ from stock, or what size cam you are running. The price seems right and you can always get them milled to whatever spec you want.
Originally Posted by primer84z
the factory LS6 heads will be fine on a stock cubed motor. Look at the z06's.... You would basically turn your LS1 to a LS6 by using those heads and a ls6 cam.
If you had read the thread, you would see that these are not factory heads. Yes, they're factory STYLE but they've been hogged out by Patriot and are in fact VERY different.

Kinda looking for some opinions from the tech bigwigs in this section. I'd kinda like a good, justifiable reason to to why I should or shouldn't go with these heads. Other than "you'll be fine" or "fewer problems than above" that is. Problems? What problems? Just telling me i'm going to have problems doesn't tell me or teach me a dang thing. I'll be fine? Ummmm, ok. Can you explain why I can get away with using these heads?

Sorry... not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I don't just follow blindly. I'd like people to actually be able to back up their statements and tell me why.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Z06 intake is worth $300, so he's asking $200 for the heads. Get pricing on the 2.08 x 1.6 valves, 918 springs, retainers, locks, seals, valve job, mill to 64cc, plus assembly. Add it up and compare that to what is being asked in above thread. Don't forget shipping cost, gas expense going to machine shop, ect.

Also the 2.08 valve size is used with large displacement/large bore engines. The chamber will probably overhang the bore causing a flow restriction. These heads may already be milled to get to 68cc and further milling to 64cc might cause intake manifold fit problems.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by voda1
The Z06 intake is worth $300, so he's asking $200 for the heads. Get pricing on the 2.08 x 1.6 valves, 918 springs, retainers, locks, seals, valve job, mill to 64cc, plus assembly. Add it up and compare that to what is being asked in above thread. Don't forget shipping cost, gas expense going to machine shop, ect.

Also the 2.08 valve size is used with large displacement/large bore engines. The chamber will probably overhang the bore causing a flow restriction. These heads may already be milled to get to 68cc and further milling to 64cc might cause intake manifold fit problems.
Ok, fair enough. I appreciate you taking the time to explain the issues I might run in to. I never knew about the possibility of the chamber overhanging the cylinder bore. That's why I ask folks to explain their replies, so I can learn things like that. Much appreciated!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

2.08 Valves will not fit on a stock bottom end. 2.055 is the largest
Old 09-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KH504
2.08 Valves will not fit on a stock bottom end. 2.055 is the largest
DEFINITELY good info to have! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Dilemma... Patriot 68cc LS6 heads on stock displacement LS1?