Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiber Tuned Intake Review with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
You've got mail.
Hi Carlos,

The MAP recorded through your HP Tuner datalog posted previously is significantly lower with the new FTIntake vs. your FAST Mamofied, and accross the rpm range...

It doesn't qualify this new intake "good" to me.

Christian
Old 01-09-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by miami993c297
Hi Carlos,

The MAP recorded through your HP Tuner datalog posted previously is significantly lower with the new FTIntake vs. your FAST Mamofied, and accross the rpm range...

It doesn't qualify this new intake "good" to me.

Christian
Christian,
Comparing MAP vaules between different style manifolds is not a valid comparison. The location of the MAP and surounding geometry will have a measurable difference in how the sensor reads. Plus its measuring plenum pressure, which is very much driven by the TB & everything forward, as opposed to the plenum design.

Originally Posted by GIGAPUNK
Are the lengths tuneable/changeable with this intake? Do they have any taper? There aren't any pics of the runners themselves in this entire thread. Will someone please post some?

Yes, the runners are interchangable with some screws and RTV. Here is a pic of them

Our objective of this manifold was to build a safe manifold to protect agaist Nitrous backfires, be boost ready, fit uner the stock hood, and offer interchangeable runners for different combo's. The 4" runner is a short runner and it was the first one we made because we wanted to start with a top end manifold. Because of the large inlet radius and gentle draft angle, the carbon runners do bench-flow very well. So for cars restricted by flow, this is a great choice. I tested it on my car only, and it performed as expected, I lost low-end and gained top end. (comparing it to a L76, not a FAST) That is the only car I have dyno'd with this manifold to date.
That being said, the general concensus, myself included, was that 4" is short, but for cars like mine (402 ci) and Carlos's car, that the flow numbers would take over up top, like it did with my GTO. .But different combo's require different things, and the 4" runner worked well on my GTO, but not with Carlos's Camaro. But since the runers are interchangeable, we can swap them out for different ones. Probably the difference in having a L76 vs a FAST as a base comaprison.
In the mean time, we have hired someone here who has a reasonably built 6.0 Camaro, with a FAST manifold on it now. We will be dyno-ing it starting next week experimenting with different runner lengths, including the 4" to compare them back to back with the FAST. This car represents, a majority of LS1tech-ers, and comparison to FAST is the benchmark. I will post the dyno runs, and build the next set of runners based on what works well with the Camaro.
We do stand behind our product 100%, and have done everything possible to date to work with Carlos, including working a second shift the night before Christmas eve, overnighting parts back and forth, and responding to his feedback in an expidited manner. His feedback has been very detailed and professional, and much appriciated. This industry is way too small to ignore any customer, so please don't feel as though we have ignored anyone.
Feedback/ thoughts/ and opinions through posts, PM's or phone calls, are all always welcome.
Vinny
Old 01-09-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanx for the detailed pics. I really hope that this product evolves. The modular design seems like it will lend itself well to experimentation/R&D. Keep up the innovation!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boost it and report back!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Boost it and report back!
TTI just finshed up the install on my C-5 today and it should be on the dyno on Monday.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis
TTI just finshed up the install on my C-5 today and it should be on the dyno on Monday.
Sounds good...looking forward to the results.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got done repairing and putting my FAST back on. I will be going back to the track on Wednesday just to verify that I didn't have some other issue.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I just got done repairing and putting my FAST back on. I will be going back to the track on Wednesday just to verify that I didn't have some other issue.
Any chance you can switch intakes at the track to get some real back to back tests?
Old 01-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Launching!

nice seeing you this week 98Z28CobraKiller. i would post some pics over at need2speed of everybody but an out of control mod over there is being an *** and keeps changing my screen name. please post up when you get the results of the 90/90. i would love to see what Loudmouths intake would do to help you out. i am still on the fence with his.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BLUEBALLS ZZ
nice seeing you this week 98Z28CobraKiller. i would post some pics over at need2speed of everybody but an out of control mod over there is being an *** and keeps changing my screen name. please post up when you get the results of the 90/90. i would love to see what Loudmouths intake would do to help you out. i am still on the fence with his.
send me the pics dave and i'll put them up. Oh and this video shows pretty good what my intake does down low (the down low is not just the intake obviously, the cam is hurtin me down there too, and if the car was all motor it would have a huge stall so I am never down there, but it's not, so on motor it's a turd!) and UP TOP!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N3YlivG3Jc

I'm pretty convinced it works, especially since the car has gone faster, but I would love to see a comparison still!
Old 01-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
send me the pics dave and i'll put them up. Oh and this video shows pretty good what my intake does down low (the down low is not just the intake obviously, the cam is hurtin me down there too, and if the car was all motor it would have a huge stall so I am never down there, but it's not, so on motor it's a turd!) and UP TOP!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N3YlivG3Jc

I'm pretty convinced it works, especially since the car has gone faster, but I would love to see a comparison still!
if that intake does pick up it will make a huge difference in my set up.. i have no low end need
Old 01-10-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BLUEBALLS ZZ
if that intake does pick up it will make a huge difference in my set up.. i have no low end need
Oh yeah and i'm pretty sure my dyno graph shows it works too!!!

And it's really not all that dead down low either, guess it's just a mix of everything that makes it real piggish down low on motor.

Oh and either my tach is off a couple hundred rpm or the dyno's tach was, cuz I had the shiftlight set at 7500 and I let off at the light, but the dyno graph shows about 7300 or so.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Oh yeah and i'm pretty sure my dyno graph shows it works too!!!

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...r-Newsetup.jpg

And it's really not all that dead down low either, guess it's just a mix of everything that makes it real piggish down low on motor.

Oh and either my tach is off a couple hundred rpm or the dyno's tach was, cuz I had the shiftlight set at 7500 and I let off at the light, but the dyno graph shows about 7300 or so.
you also had valve train issues. so i am not 100 percent convince...
Old 01-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Any chance you can switch intakes at the track to get some real back to back tests?
Carlos made it pretty clear he HATES wrenching....LOL

If he picks his MPH and ET back up in line with his former runs it would pretty much guarantee the significant loss of average power his first outting looks to indicate....basically he would have conducted an A - B - A track test of sorts.

Sure a dyno curve would be the best (to really quantify) but his track results are still a good indicator of whats going on....it just leaves questions to potentially how large the losses/gains actually are.

I cant believe none of you guys said sheet about Carlos's new avatar....I roll every time I see it

I had the opportunity to PM Vinny (the man behind this intake) and for what its worth he seems like a solid guy who cares that probably wishes he had a chance to do more testing before the actual product release. He is working on some things right now in an effort to quantify and at least potentially improve the results.

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 01-10-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I cant believe none of you guys said sheet about Carlos's new avatar....I roll every time I see it
lmao, i just noticed it!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I seen it, just didn't wanna say anything, but since you said it first, that **** is funny!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

I seen it, just didn't wanna say anything, but since you said it first, that **** is funny!!!!!!!!!!!
It does look like Los a bit,especially around the chin

Last edited by gotjuice?; 01-10-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
0% chance of that happening. The fueling requirements are almost a full point off from intake to intake, so retuning is required for fair comparison. The other issue is that there is no way I want to do that swap on a hot car. It takes a bit of patience to get the FiberTuned intake on. The back bolts are a PITA to get in under the cowl.

Originally Posted by gotjuice?
It does look like Los a bit,especially around the chin

No hand-me-downs for you!

It's a guinea pig, Dumbass. Like me with this intake. Geesh....
Old 01-11-2009, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

I knew what it was

JFWY bro
Old 01-11-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I about fell out when i noticed the avatar, that is funny. But on a serious note, i hope you get the intake working better for you Carlos, i would be sick if i just spent that kind of money and got these results. But after all this it makes me wonder if a ported Fast isnt the best intake for the car period. Especially after the guy in the Drag racing section w/ the TFS heads went 115 mph NA on pump gas and a ported fast in the 1/8 th. It really makes me rethink my setup since i just sold mine to get the GMPP intake and 4 bl TB.

Quick Reply: Fiber Tuned Intake Review with pictures