Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiber Tuned Intake Review with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carlos, that is certainly not good news. I can understand that there are 1000's of different combo's and some will react differently than others, but there is no reason why you shouldn't have increased your top end charge like it did on my car.
I linned up a 6 liter w. Dart CNC heads 244/250 with .530/.620 lift cam for dyno-ing as soon as I possibly can, it will either be on Monday or Tuesday. It currently has a FAST intake on it and we will compare it to a 4" runner and a 5.25" runner. This is a stick car so it should give us some clean dyno pulls. I'll post up results as soon as I do them.
Vinny
Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Regarding the MPH being indicative of horsepower, I thought that was only if the car spins. If the car isn't getting into the powerband until after the 60', the track is that much shorter for me to build any kind of speed out the back door. This thing really comes alive at 6K but I'm past the 60' at that point and every shift puts me down below that power band. I'm at 6200 going thru the traps in 3rd which is right about where it starts pulling. I think that with a 6K stall converter, a 4.55 gear and an 8K RPM redline, this thing could work out nicely. That or maybe with some boost.

I'll give you a call after you've had a chance to drink your Mocha Frappuccino this morning.
Nope....You can bog....blow the tires away....even lift quickly on the bottom of the track and the trap speed will always be there (within a MPH and usually tighter than that). Think about your own experiences in a given night....(with similar D/A numbers thru out the evening).

Also, part of the reason "it comes alive" past 6K is its all relative to the huge hit you took before that RPM (potentially). With other cars running within .5 MPH of their former track times that doesnt bode well for your situation unless somehow the tune is off and you dont know it (highly doubtful considering you have a wideband and moniter all this stuff pretty closely).

Anyway....give me a ring when you get a minute

661-257-8124 Ext. 109

Catch up soon,
Tony

PS....I kicked my Starbucks addiction after realizing I was making a small car payment every month going there!

PSS....What are you going to do about your charcoal broiled FAST?? In the event you go back in that direction your current manifold looks pretty fubarred. There is a guy selling a brand new FAST 92 intake I ported which happens to also have burst panels installed (a plus for the occsional nitrous backfire) in the sales section....just an FYI.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 01-08-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

The more I think about it, the more I want to put my FAST back on and be done with it. I ******* HATE TURNING WRENCHES! The only reason that I do this stuff myself is that the car would be running high 11's if I had to pay for labor. I know that the carb intakes pretty much behave the same as this one so I'm not sure that I want to go thru that whole exercise just to see the test for myself. Perhaps someone with a shop and a dyno would like to tackle that. If I was being paid to do it, then that's a different story.

I really do appreciate the offer though Dev.
No problem dude, I do know that my intake acts a little similar down low, but when I get up top it really comes on hard, listening to the car last night I never heard it really come on, it sounded kind of flat the whole way through the powerband, I hate to say it, but I think that intake lost power all the way through the band everywhere, including up top. That's why I figured i'd offer up the swap to try it to see what it would do for you.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im guessing you checked this at the time of the install but with the different Throttle bracket location on the Fibre intake VS. FAST did you confirm you were getting full Mechanical WOT out of the throttle blade? Could be somthing you overlooked and the blade isnt opening all the way when you mash the pedal???

I see your logs indicate 100% TPS but it could be somthing to check...

Subscribing as well to see results. My Mamo Fast did me well N/A and is loving Boost.

Last edited by Black X; 01-08-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Black X
Im guessing you checked this at the time of the install but with the different Throttle bracket location on the Fibre intake VS. FAST did you confirm you were getting full Mechanical WOT out of the throttle blade? Could be somthing you overlooked and the blade isnt opening all the way when you mash the pedal???

I see your logs indicate 100% TPS but it could be somthing to check...

Subscribing as well to see results. My Mamo Fast did me well N/A and is loving Boost.
That's the first thing I looked at when I mounted the intake.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
I think one thing to remember is this is the short runner intake and I think everyone would agree that a longer runner would work better in a N/A application. I can't wait to see the results of the guy with the twin turbo 427 that bought one test this intake out.
My car hits the rollers tomorrow morning. I did have a base line dyno done at 10lbs of boost prior to changing the intake.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis
My car hits the rollers tomorrow morning. I did have a base line dyno done at 10lbs of boost prior to changing the intake.
Great...can't wait to see the results.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:00 PM
FormerVendor

Hmmm....another thought I have....

If this doesnt pan out to implied / promised results, Is i am going to have a hard time keeping / eating the large cost of coverting to this manifold, only to swap back to our ported Fast 90/90 setup.

We are receiving our intake next week (shipped out today) to go on a 427" /w 355cfm AFR 247cc heads (Stg 3 ported by TEA) on our 10.4 N/A C5 vette. We have been promised significant gains by Nitro Daves that we ordered from. If it doesnt make any gain then anything, I am going to be the first one on the phone wanting to send it back for a refund.

But I'm not the type to say a product has failed based one vehicles performance at the track with no other data / dyno info etc supporting it. So we will be doing our own testing back to back and hopefully be coming to the board with positive results.

<----Staying optimistic.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by beavis

be nice if u could also test an intakes elbow setup with a gmmp intake (or similar)!! then we could see all 3 options (l76, elbow, Fiber tuned) on a FI car with l92 heads.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by SoCalSpd
Hmmm....another thought I have....

If this doesnt pan out to implied / promised results, Is i am going to have a hard time keeping / eating the large cost of coverting to this manifold, only to swap back to our ported Fast 90/90 setup.

We are receiving our intake next week (shipped out today) to go on a 427" /w 355cfm AFR 247cc heads (Stg 3 ported by TEA) on our 10.4 N/A C5 vette. We have been promised significant gains by Nitro Daves that we ordered from. If it doesnt make any gain then anything, I am going to be the first one on the phone wanting to send it back for a refund.

But I'm not the type to say a product has failed based one vehicles performance at the track with no other data / dyno info etc supporting it. So we will be doing our own testing back to back and hopefully be coming to the board with positive results.

<----Staying optimistic.
Jim,

Knowing that in advance I would speak with the company now and see if they are in a position to "guarantee" performance before you run the intake (trying to return a brand new item is alot more palatable to a manufacturer than a used piece in the event they would like to sell it to someone else).

Not too many companies in this industry are willing to do that....although you never know the stance they may be willing to take considering this is a brand new un-proven product.

I'm staying optimistic as well but my guess is there needs to be more testing with potentially longer runner lengths.

-Tony
Old 01-08-2009, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

From day one I thought that these runners were too short for the majority of LS1techer's. I feel these short runners need large cubes and very high rpm. I also think some who sold there Ported fasts to jump on this bandwagon liked the way the intake looked more than anything. I am very impressed with Carlos and all of his efforts and I hope that his efforts aren't for nothing. I just feel the release and testing of a long runner version would of been better. JMO
Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

i'm PM'ing Dave back and forth about my setup with this intake. it's a HKE-built 454 with TFS 245's, the cam was ground for this short runner fiber-tuned manifold but i don't know specs, all i was told was "around 252/258" IIRC. anybody have any thoughts on this combo? the car is a M6 with 4.11's. i'd like to twist the motor hard enough to keep the 4.11's and make 600rwhp NA or more. that's the power i think i need to hit high 9's when i get my weight down (without sacrificing some things, that is).

Erik was VERY optimistic about the combo when i had the FAST 92 waiting, but i sold it in favor of something a little more radical like this fiber-tuned piece and the cam was ground accordingly. i'm having second thoughts now after seeing the track results, although i'm still optimistic. If i see two or three more people suffer similar losses, and this intake can't prove beneficial on a NA motor on a chassis dyno, THEN i'll eat my socks and by another FAST.

by the way, has anyone else googled "fiber tuned"? http://www.fiber-tuned.com/home.htm .....browse around that site...their logo looks a lot like our LSx's engraved logo...same company?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

^^^I would wait for the long runner version to be tested unless you plan to spin the thing to the moon.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are the lengths tuneable/changeable with this intake? Do they have any taper? There aren't any pics of the runners themselves in this entire thread. Will someone please post some?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Nope....You can bog....blow the tires away....even lift quickly on the bottom of the track and the trap speed will always be there (within a MPH and usually tighter than that). Think about your own experiences in a given night....(with similar D/A numbers thru out the evening).
I agree and disagree. Talking about throughout the night with the same setup I agree, mph is fairly close whether you spin or so forth, but if you have a setup that gets you out the hole hard and right into your powerband and you have a setup that bogs down and doesn't get into your powerband for a little while, there is going to be a mph drop. I have way to tight of a converter (and bad gear/tire combo for motor) on my car for motor and it bogs out of the hole bad and is dead up until around 5500 - 6000 rpm, it sounds like I spray the car when it finally gets into the powerband and is a totally different animal, and I tried putting a 26 inch tire on the car once for a few motor runs and it gained 2 mph out the back door b/c it got up into the powerband faster and stayed there longer. 60' didn't get much better (.05 sec better), but it was basically like changing the gearing a little. Obviously none of that matters to me b/c I really don't care about motor, hell, it even falls out of the powerband on each shift and takes a little to get back into it, but on the spray i'm golden, right into the powerband from the get go and never falls out. When I swapped to the gmpp I lost some down low (not that I had a lot to begin with), my 60's went from mid 1.6's to 1.70's and my converter will only go to about 3800 on the tbrake instead of 4000, but it picked up so much on the top end that I still gained 2 mph, i'm now trapping on the 28's what I was on the 26's and it's peaking at 7000 - 7200 rpm and holding up past 7500 rpm where i'm shifting it compared to the fast that was for some reason peaking at 6000 and falling off hard at 6400. But anyways, sorry for the big long post. I was there at the track last night and listening to the car going down the track it never picked up and really started boogying at any point, it was dead down low and pretty much stayed that way all throughout the powerband (just sounded flat), I would be willing to bet that this intake lost power all throughout the powerband, I am not trying to bash anyone, but it does not seem like it works very well and should've had a lot more r&d and testing done before being released, especially with a $1500 price tag! I also think this thing got way too hot after a run!

Last edited by Loudmouth LS1; 01-08-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:51 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
I agree and disagree. Talking about throughout the night with the same setup I agree, mph is fairly close whether you spin or so forth, but if you have a setup that gets you out the hole hard and right into your powerband and you have a setup that bogs down and doesn't get into your powerband for a little while, there is going to be a mph drop. I have way to tight of a converter (and bad gear/tire combo for motor) on my car for motor and it bogs out of the hole bad and is dead up until around 5500 - 6000 rpm, it sounds like I spray the car when it finally gets into the powerband and is a totally different animal, and I tried putting a 26 inch tire on the car once for a few motor runs and it gained 2 mph out the back door b/c it got up into the powerband faster and stayed there longer. 60' didn't get much better (.05 sec better), but it was basically like changing the gearing a little. Obviously none of that matters to me b/c I really don't care about motor, hell, it even falls out of the powerband on each shift and takes a little to get back into it, but on the spray i'm golden, right into the powerband from the get go and never falls out. When I swapped to the gmpp I lost some down low (not that I had a lot to begin with), my 60's went from mid 1.6's to 1.70's and my converter will only go to about 3800 on the tbrake instead of 4000, but it picked up so much on the top end that I still gained 2 mph, i'm now trapping on the 28's what I was on the 26's and it's peaking at 7000 - 7200 rpm and holding up past 7500 rpm where i'm shifting it compared to the fast that was for some reason peaking at 6000 and falling off hard at 6400. But anyways, sorry for the big long post. I was there at the track last night and listening to the car going down the track it never picked up and really started boogying at any point, it was dead down low and pretty much stayed that way all throughout the powerband (just sounded flat), I would be willing to bet that this intake lost power all throughout the powerband, I am not trying to bash anyone, but it does not seem like it works very well and should've had a lot more r&d and testing done before being released, especially with a $1500 price tag! I also think this thing got way too hot after a run!
Try $2035 by the time I got it. It's $1600 w/o rails or fittings.

Vinny and I are going to talk about it on the phone today and see what we can come up with. I'm not really sure what else could be done at this point as I am NOT going to change converter, cam or spin this thing past 7500 RPM. The only option left on the table for me at this point is some longer runners. I will not throw another dime at this intake though.

If I am asked to pay for the longer runners, this intake will be for sale for $1600 complete with rails, AN Fittings and shipping included.

Oh, I found out that at 8PM the DA was 436' at the track.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Try $2035 by the time I got it. It's $1600 w/o rails or fittings.

Vinny and I are going to talk about it on the phone today and see what we can come up with. I'm not really sure what else could be done at this point as I am NOT going to change converter, cam or spin this thing past 7500 RPM. The only option left on the table for me at this point is some longer runners. I will not throw another dime at this intake though.

If I am asked to pay for the longer runners, this intake will be for sale for $1600 complete with rails, AN Fittings and shipping included.
Ouch!

I don't think the longer runner is going to really help, all that should do is help some down low, but it didn't seem to scream up top (wasn't working where it claims it's supposed too), so I don't see it really gaining much, I would just sell, intake might work good on a FI car as nothing really matters with them other than volume, but if he's willing too send you the longer runner to try free of charge I guess you can give it a shot first.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:58 AM
12 Second Club

I was thinking this intake had too much plenum/w short runners, area for a NA engine, causing the intake charge to stall, maybe a smaller T.B to help speed it up? Some sort of venturi setup to help speed up the incoming air. inside the intake?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Better idea would be to chop the bottom of the intake off and weld it back up so that it's right up against the bottom of the runners to decrease the plenum volume as much as possible, but that's probably still not gonna be enough.

Making the runners longer inside, and thickening them up to fill in as much areas as possible would be a good step as well to decreasing the volume.

The idea behind the intake is good, design as a whole is nice with the runners being able to be changed and there may be some changes that could be made to make it a killer piece, but the initial parts apparently aren't working.

The gains that vinny saw on his motor, tell me that the stock intake has got to be a MASSIVE choke point for this to work that much better.

Obviously, what's available for the cathedral heads is miles ahead of what is available for the L92 stuff.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:47 AM
9 Second Club

My old intake is not much different .....

I shifted it at 7,600 with my Hyd roller set up and shifted it at 8,500 with the solid roller set up. It was a TERD on the motor .... shifted into high gear (glide) at about 900' on the motor.

Doesnt look like a bad intake but I think it will need the right cam shaft, converter and will need to turn some RPM. I swapped converters about 4 times last year to get mine right. Sucks but you do what you have to to make it work.

Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: Fiber Tuned Intake Review with pictures