Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accusump on LS2 F body? help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Accusump on LS2 F body? help

Guys, I have a mild LS2 402(with a stock 2002 F body pan).., in a 2002 Camaro... and am going road racing soon... It isnt my first time out, but its gonna be my first time using more agressive brakes, tires, etc... So I definitely plan on being faster than before...

Anyway, I want to take precautions with my oiling and I want to run an accusump..

I was thinking possibly the 2qt one..

Anyway, The website is a bit vague.. I have a few questions...

#1 any of you guys have experience with any accusump or oil accumulators??
#2 Im not sure what the kit comes with and what I will need
#3 How easy/hard are they to install? I dont wanna make a big deal project come up, because I think by the time I order it(say on monday or so) Ill barely have enough time to get it on... So I wanna know how hard they are to install...

I usually run 2 qt of 20 50 VR1 and 4 qt of 5 30 valvoline... My engine has probably under 2500 miles on it still and Im still using conventional oil...
Old 05-09-2009, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

anyone?!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a three quart Accusump. If I had to do it over again, I probably would buy a two quart. Easy to install if you have experience with Aeroquip hoses.
If not, measure what you need for an oil line and have a shop make the line.
It's best if you mount it vertical, so all of the air bubbles will get out.
On the left side of the engine, up front there is a threaded plug that goes right into the oil galley, I have a threaded fitting that connects to my #6 Aeroquip hose that runs to the sump. The best part about having an Accusump is that my racecar sits at home for over a week at a time, before I start it up, I open the sump and pre-oil it. I can get 25lbs of oil pressure before I start it up. If you have any more questions PM me.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by racecar
I have a three quart Accusump. If I had to do it over again, I probably would buy a two quart. Easy to install if you have experience with Aeroquip hoses.
If not, measure what you need for an oil line and have a shop make the line.
It's best if you mount it vertical, so all of the air bubbles will get out.
On the left side of the engine, up front there is a threaded plug that goes right into the oil galley, I have a threaded fitting that connects to my #6 Aeroquip hose that runs to the sump. The best part about having an Accusump is that my racecar sits at home for over a week at a time, before I start it up, I open the sump and pre-oil it. I can get 25lbs of oil pressure before I start it up. If you have any more questions PM me.
Thanks man thats helpful...

I was wondering if they offer everything with their accusump or everything is bought separate from their website? Im just asking if you know, if you dont Ill call them monday and ask...

Ill PM you the same question...
Old 05-10-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

They offer a mounting kit, it has two big clamps and a flat mount plate, probably worth it. My Accusump came with a female pipe thread on the outlet. I used a #8 Aeroquip hose. If you learn to speak aeroquip, the thread is called AN.
Total parts list:
Accusump
Mount Kit
male 1/2npt to #8 male AN fitting
2 90 deg aeroquip hose ends
5 ft aeroquip #8 hose
male 16mm x 1.5 to #8 AN fitting
See attached pictures to see the 16mm fitting and hose, and the plug I removed where I am plumbing it in my L92 block.
Attached Thumbnails Accusump on LS2 F body? help-dsc02735.jpg   Accusump on LS2 F body? help-dsc02740.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

They offer a mounting kit, it has two big clamps and a flat mount plate, probably worth it. My Accusump came with a female pipe thread on the outlet. I used a #8 Aeroquip hose. If you learn to speak aeroquip, the thread is called AN.
Total parts list:
Accusump
Mount Kit
male 1/2npt to #8 male AN fitting
2 90 deg aeroquip hose ends
5 ft aeroquip #8 hose
male 16mm x 1.5 to #8 AN fitting
See attached pictures to see the 16mm fitting and hose, and the plug I removed where I am plumbing it in my L92 block.
Hey man thanks a lot for all the help... I dont think Im gonna be able to go through with all of this right now..

My track day is in 8 days (Tuesday the 19th) and I still gotta make time to change my rotors/pads, change my oil, check coolant, go over all my suspension, change my tires, alignment, flush my brake fluid, etc...I gotta do all this while having an exam this week in my Physics class and having to work at nights.. Neither the time or money will permit me.. Im not gonna rush into something that im probably not gonna have time to do..So this isnt what I wanted to happen, but Im afraid Im gonna have to forget about the accusump for now, and Invest in it soon after, for the next track meet.....
Im still gonna get one, just in a couple of months or so, when another event comes up..

IN the meanwhile, for safety concerns... I usually run about 6-6.125 qts of oil in my engine already

I run 2 qts 20 50 VR1 (because I cant seem to find any 5 30 Vr1 here!), and 4 qts 5 30 and not even a pint of the STP oil additive...

Would you recommend me running an extra quart of oil to be safe?

Also I think its wiser if I just run all 6 qts of 5 30 this time..(At idle my oil pressure on hot days seems to be at a low 25psi, whereas it should be around 35-40psi... I have a feeling the 20 50 isnt flowing well, that why...

Anyhow, tell me what you think of this.. Since Im not gonna be able to go with the accusump this time, I still wanna kep the engine protected..
Old 05-11-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

It's pretty common for a road race car to run an extra half quart or quart of oil. Just try it out. Too much oil could foam up and cause excessive blow by before you get into hard cornering. What track are you running at? If there are long sustained corners, that is probably the worst situation. If your pressure drops below 15(?) the light will come on, right?? You will have plenty of things to be watching while you are driving, but try to remember when you are at the apex of a corner with sustained G forces, take a quick look at the oil pressure. Some cars work on right turns, but loose it on left corners. This is what happens at Portland, always check oil at the apex of turn 3, the long left hand corner. Good luck getting it all together, I started racing after college and applied all of that physics knowledge, good stuff. I use 10-30 Valvoline racing oil... it has anti-foam
Old 05-11-2009, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

It's pretty common for a road race car to run an extra half quart or quart of oil. Just try it out. Too much oil could foam up and cause excessive blow by before you get into hard cornering. What track are you running at? If there are long sustained corners, that is probably the worst situation. If your pressure drops below 15(?) the light will come on, right?? You will have plenty of things to be watching while you are driving, but try to remember when you are at the apex of a corner with sustained G forces, take a quick look at the oil pressure. Some cars work on right turns, but loose it on left corners. This is what happens at Portland, always check oil at the apex of turn 3, the long left hand corner. Good luck getting it all together, I started racing after college and applied all of that physics knowledge, good stuff. I use 10-30 Valvoline racing oil... it has anti-foam
Where do you get your Valvoline racing oil with 10 30?

I cant seem to find any near me... is it synthetic? if it is, then thats probably why.. I may have seen the synthetic

Anyways, Im racing at Streets of Willow (Willow Springs smaller track)...

Ill keep an eye on oil pressure, but Im still worried about valvtrain, etc..

I think itll be fine...
Old 05-12-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

It's 10-30 Valvoline racing oil. "Not Street Legal" I thought that was just advertising, until I read the label, it's not synthetic, but it has extra zinc for racing engines, "may harm cat convertor" and friction modifiers. Holy crap, maybe I should not be using this stuff to break in a new motor. I think that synthetic is great for the bearings, but can be bad for the rings. They need a certain amount of friction to work right??? I'm not an expert on oil. Five years ago Valvoline racing oil was only a few cents more than regular oil. I think they changed their formula, now it costs almost as much as synthetic.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

It's 10-30 Valvoline racing oil. "Not Street Legal" I thought that was just advertising, until I read the label, it's not synthetic, but it has extra zinc for racing engines, "may harm cat convertor" and friction modifiers. Holy crap, maybe I should not be using this stuff to break in a new motor. I think that synthetic is great for the bearings, but can be bad for the rings. They need a certain amount of friction to work right??? I'm not an expert on oil. Five years ago Valvoline racing oil was only a few cents more than regular oil. I think they changed their formula, now it costs almost as much as synthetic.
You shouldnt use synthetic to break in a new engine..

Technically I would think synthetic is good for bearings, because all the oil molecules should be similiar sized, vs conventional, they could vary (someone correct me if this is wrong info)...

Anyway, yeahthe only ones I see with extra zinc is the VR1 racing oil and Im just seeing SAE 50, SAE 60(I think) and 20-50...

I havent seen 10 30.. If I did, thats all Id run...

Quick Reply: Accusump on LS2 F body? help