Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on X-Pypes, All hype or good for the pypes

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on X-Pypes, All hype or good for the pypes

Hi, Say I have a 03 Z06 corvette and I am doing the exhaust and was
planning on going with a 1 7/8" pair of headers chuck the cats and H pype and run her straight on to my B&B Bullets and then out the back
Question: Why do I need an X pype I mean chevrolet did not put one on when they built the car Right ? They ran an H pype,
I mean if you ran a & in your garden hose your not going to get more pressure, you'll get less so What am I missing here ?
Are X pypes just a way to Boost manufactures Bottom line $$$$$$
Or are they truely an essential part of today's modern exhaust systems.

As a side note: can someone tell me where to find info regarding Cat Simulators ?

Hey InAdvance, Thanks for all you guys help these past few month's
LS1.Com is Top Tier In my Book

Bon
Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Smile Advice on X-Pypes, All hype or good for the pypes

What no exhaust guys in the house this evening
Old 10-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Default Advice on X-Pypes, All hype

Oh well thanks anyway
Old 10-20-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i remember reading a thread a while back about having an x-pipe actually nets a little more power. just like 1-2hp but the reason is because the x-pipe gives it a better sound than just running it straight out the back.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bongva
well i remember reading a thread a while back about having an x-pipe actually nets a little more power. just like 1-2hp but the reason is because the x-pipe gives it a better sound than just running it straight out the back.

Hummm, Possibly because it lends a little back pressure ??

Don't know, I am no expert so I just thought I'd ask the forums to see if someone would be willing to shed some light on the subject,

But I have seen little response, Last night I was reading a post where one of the Ladies was asking which end of a spark plug to insert into one of her holes plug holes rather ??? and she got about 100 response's in 10min lol no joke

Yeah anyway thanks for the response and I'll keep trying
Bon
Old 10-20-2009, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first off, its pIpes. no y.

second, either will work. generally, people say X for power, H for sound.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WSsick
first off, its pIpes. no y.

second, either will work. generally, people say X for power, H for sound.
Fearst off Tanks ! for the spellein Lesson
sekond Thanks for the information regarding X/y pipes

I paid my car off last month and now I'm beginning the Mod process
I am in the reseach phase now but I put a set of B&B Bullets on, on Sunday
and my VaraRam is coming on Thursday
I am leaning toward an X-pipe over a Y for now and I'm thinkng about buying a pair of American racing headers 1 7/8 over the 1 3/4" Lg motorsports though I think at 32" the Lg long tubes are a bit longer which I like

Thanks Bon, in So. Cal
Old 10-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Can't tell you how much power an X pipe is worth, but I know some of the theory. "American style" V8s, which all have twisted cranks instead of flat cranks (Ferrari etc), have exhaust pulses coming down the pipe at 90 degrees crank rotation. Ferrari has them coming at 180 degrees crank rotation. That's why American V8s have that signature blatting sound we dig. But it also means two exhaust pulses are fighting their way out at close to the same time. Running an X pipe allows part of the that exhaust pulse to bleed off to the other pipe, which is between pulses at that time. So exhaust restriction drops at high RPM ie. less backpressure.

An H pipe does the same thing, but only at low RPM. At high RPM, the heavy exhaust pulse does not have time to bleed into the other pipe quickly enough before it's competing with the other pipe's pulse.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wadd
Can't tell you how much power an X pipe is worth, but I know some of the theory. "American style" V8s, which all have twisted cranks instead of flat cranks (Ferrari etc), have exhaust pulses coming down the pipe at 90 degrees crank rotation. Ferrari has them coming at 180 degrees crank rotation. That's why American V8s have that signature blatting sound we dig. But it also means two exhaust pulses are fighting their way out at close to the same time. Running an X pipe allows part of the that exhaust pulse to bleed off to the other pipe, which is between pulses at that time. So exhaust restriction drops at high RPM ie. less backpressure.

An H pipe does the same thing, but only at low RPM. At high RPM, the heavy exhaust pulse does not have time to bleed into the other pipe quickly enough before it's competing with the other pipe's pulse.
Nicley done! Like stated before you will get a small gain over the H pipe but F-body guys are the ones that bennifit the most from an X pipe since we come factory with a Y pipe. I have a friend that had the same mufflers as me but with an H instead of an X and his sounded different. His was deffinatley a bassier sound under 2k rpm but above that I thought my X pipe sounded better especially at WOT. Thats just my opinion. Good luck on your selection.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Thanks For Taking the time for your most indepth explainations

great response's all of them

Bon So. Cal

Quick Reply: Advice on X-Pypes, All hype or good for the pypes