Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vvt cam sensor different?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That box uses the cam and crank sensor both to dictate the timing properly (assuming you're still firing coils and not running a distributor).

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any proof of this? this dude runs his own car and is not dumb. just giving you facts here: my car starts and runs no probelm, and according to the computer, is giving me the timing that i have specified for it. in order to rearrange my schedule and put forth the time to change the cover, i need definetive proof that not using the cam sensor either ALTERS the timing, or produces false timing settings. as in 32 degrees is NOT true 32 degrees.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Call MSD and ask how the box knows which cylinder to fire. The crank signal can give it RPM, but cannot tell it which stroke it is on...that is the cam sensor's job (same as on GM PCM comb's). That cam signal differentiates between that intake and exhaust stroke (every time one of these engines starts on GM PCM combos actually).

It'll give the right amount of timing, I have no doubt. But if it's firing the correct cylinder every time you start and run without the cam signal, MSD has clearly figured out something that GM never could/has.

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 04-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Launching!

msd gives me nothing but generic answers. i can see it assisting in quick starting, but if it does not know the exhaust stroke or intake stroke, tha twould cause it to either be 180 degrees out or not on each start attempt. but then after it is successfully started on the correct stroke, wouldnt it maintain that correct position as long as the engine is running? i'm going to have to change the cover, but if i can get away with it for now, it would be ideal.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I've been looking through all their tech forum as well, and can't find any useful info either. Everything they have just says it requires the cam sensor. Maybe without it, it just assumed one or the other and kas kept it on that since then and doesn't readjust every start. If that was the case, you got lucky on the first start-up then I guess you're set as long as it never looses power?? Not really sure there. If it was firing on the incorrect stroke, you'd have a no start (or MAYBE a very hard start) condition.

And I'd like to apologize once again for misinforming you on that before. If I'd had your name or contact info when I figured that out yesterday, I would have hurried to call you and save a bit of time on your project! I felt terrible for giving you the wrong information, and that is never my/our intent!

Old 04-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Launching!

it's no problem. i ordered an ls2 cover from a junkyard. won't be here until next week so for now i'm going to drive the car lightly to get the exhaust done, and start tuning the carburetor. i will change the cover but this is really cutting it close. may 13th we leave for pinks. still need to put a roll bar in.

Last edited by IHEARTLS1; 04-28-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I got mine from an 07 5.3 wreck. lots of em out there.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Launching!

i changed to an ls2 style cover and my cam sensor failure issue went away. the only thing i notice is the car starts the first time every time now. normally before it took 1-3 times to get it to start. i don't notice any change in the way the car runs at all.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i need this thread thanks!!! i did same swap..thought i could use vvt cover.turns out its hard to start..but runs fine when running.... so i need to get ls2 cover..
Old 07-11-2011, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Very enlightening!! I'm trying to start up using the lingenfelter converter and couldn't figure out why is was backfiring. That picture posted by Jay_LT4 was exactly what I needed. Thanx alot!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by djloc79
Very enlightening!! I'm trying to start up using the lingenfelter converter and couldn't figure out why is was backfiring. That picture posted by Jay_LT4 was exactly what I needed. Thanx alot!
no problem!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jay_lt4

sure looks like the air gap would be huge if you removed the vvt cam gear and replaced it with a standard 4x gear

In the above photos, you notice the differences in the assemblies behind the harmonic balancer? Would all of that have to be changed as well?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default VVT cover difference

One image shows the oil pump still on the engine and the other doesn't. You can keep the L92/VVT oil pump although you may have high oil pressure at high rpm with that pump.

BTW - as I think has already been mentioned, the L92/L99 (VVT) camshaft sensors are the same as the LS2/LS3 sensors but the timing covers are different and the air gap between the sensor and the timing gear would be wrong (too big) if you put an LS2 or LS3 cam gear onto an engine with the L92/L99 front timing cover. You need to switch to the LS2/LS3 timing cover (GM part # 12600326). That cover doesn't come with the seals or gaskets (seal GM PN 12585673, gasket GM PN 12633904).

Originally Posted by djloc79
In the above photos, you notice the differences in the assemblies behind the harmonic balancer? Would all of that have to be changed as well?

Quick Reply: vvt cam sensor different?