Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience with SDPC's throttle body cable adapter SD90BRKT

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default My experience with SDPC's throttle body cable adapter SD90BRKT

Although they don't list it on the public online store, one of the throttle body cable adapters they offer is P/N SD90BRKT, and I was advised by SDPC it is compatible with the LS3 intake manifold. Price was $45. It's basically an aluminum L-bracket which attaches to the top TB bolt. It comes with a stainless steel bolt and washer, and a replacement vacuum insert for the throttle body.

I happen to have the LS3 vanity cover on my LS3 intake. The cover interfered with the installation of the bracket. Meaning I either had to remove or modify the cover. I chose to modify it, so for now I had to cut back the plastic above the MAP sensor to insure a proper seal between the TB and the intake.

Once installed, the throttle & cruise cables are now about 1/2-1" too long. That means the throttle pedal is lower than the brake pedal, and the built-in adjustment for the cruise cable doesn't have enough adjustment to make cruise work. For the cruise control I guess I'll try one of those fishing line lead weights to keep it tight. Not sure what to do with the throttle cable.

They provide the alternate vacuum TB insert because the stock L-insert interferes with the bracket. The new insert combined with the stock S-shaped vacuum line interferes with the TB/cruise cables. So you'll also need to get an alternate vacuum line which won't allow the cables to rub on the line.

Too bad someone doesn't offer a 2-piece bracket. The 1st piece would be the same L-shaped bracket which fit properly with the GM parts, and would have an oblong hole where the cable mounting piece could slide to adjust the cable tension.

They also offer a billet bracket which attaches to the intake manifold bolts, cost was around $80 IIRC which I have no experience with.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you would think it would fit a bit better being from SDPC?
Old 07-05-2010, 11:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We do offer one that is made to mount to the manifold itself but it is billet and obviously the more pricey of the two. The problem is, this one was made to work with the LS2 intakes, and we found with minimal modification, you can make them work on the LS3 intakes as well. We have normally just ground that "beauty cover" like you did and mounted it. We have not heard of your specific problem ourselves, and we do sell quite a large amount of them. As you can guess normally for the LS3 top end swaps onto 6L engines. So your application is becoming the norm. If you would get in contact with me or Marty later, I am sure that we can get something figured out.

Thanks
John
Old 07-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Sounds like maybe you have the throttle cable in the wrong hole on the throttle lever. Should be in the top one.

We have never had those problems using that bracket here.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

OK, I realize I had my logic backwards on the pedal height, I thought they were supposed to be near even at rest, but then I read they should be near even while the pedal is depressed. I'll try switching holes. Vengeance Racing installed the cable on the bottom hole when I purchased this TB & Fast 92 for the previous motor and I figured there was a reason for it.

I don't see how you can avoid the vanity cover interference because it bolts to the back of the TB, which is flush with the intake manifold, and that distance should be constant. For now I have some ugly fishing weights on the end of the cruise control cable to keep it taut. Haven't gotten around to talking to John or Marty yet.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

op - post some pics
Old 07-09-2010, 10:29 AM
9 Second Club

Off topic, InsaneAuto86-LOVE the sig pic, Bars on verts are Coooooooool.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
op - post some pics
http://s808.photobucket.com/albums/z...ss69/sd90brkt/

Spoke with John @ SDPC. He advised that the throttle cable stop needs to be in the lowest hole (with blade closed) or the highest hole (with the blade fully open). I'll move the TB vacuum line above the catch can to get the cable going more horizontal to reduce the possible cable interference. There is a possibility that with this BlueMaxx TB that the blade shaft may be closer to the intake manifold or cam a smaller diameter which would cause the cables to be too long also.

I'm going to use it for awhile and call him back if I have further concerns. Thanks John!

Last edited by JimMueller; 07-09-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Update
Old 07-09-2010, 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope I answered some of your questions and you get it all worked out. The way you have it seems like it will work good though. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm having the same issues and I have both brackets.

Check out my thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...oose-help.html

Quick Reply: My experience with SDPC's throttle body cable adapter SD90BRKT