Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will my L92 WCCH Stg2 be enuff head for....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

They screwed this one up by putting the plenums outside of the heads. They need to be on the inside of the heads.
Probably an incredible rip off anyway.......carbon fiber is a waste of money, it needsw to just be plastic.

This one looks great for a show car, but won't offer any power gains over any other big plastic intakes. Probably also a ridiculous price.

Someone needs to make an all plastic dual plenum'ed intake like the top one there....but with the plenums on the inside (like the Viper intake). One air neck off the lid into the two plenums. Then there's no changes that need to be made to the MAF, TPS, IAC.

This way it could be priced well and give nice gains.

Last edited by LS6427; 02-10-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
There's not a head made that will properly feed a 450ci yet.....not to its max potential anyway.

....I would say a set of All-Pro's or ET heads. Ported LS7 heads would kickass too. 450ci with the right top end will make 700-750+ FWHP.

You sure about that? These C5R's will be feeding a 460.

Air distributed by one of these...

Its gonna make a little more than 700-750
Old 02-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LPE 403

That'll be awesome....but there's no way even a 430cfm LSx type head can feed 460ci to ITS MAX POTENTIAL.

Again......a 460ci BBC with their better flowing heads will assrape your 460ci small block in the power department. The BBC would make 900 HP.

BTW....are those 6 bolt C5R heads?

Old 02-11-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Again......a 460ci BBC with their better flowing heads will assrape your 460ci small block in the power department. The BBC would make 900 HP.
Dont want to jack OP's thread but I'm curious are you saying all things being equal? RPM range? Compression? Hyd vs solid? Talking apples to apples? (lol, he said assrape)

Old 02-11-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That'll be awesome....but there's no way even a 430cfm LSx type head can feed 460ci to ITS MAX POTENTIAL.

I am not a young guy and have put together a few BBC's for my Gen I. While there are great BBC heads out there, most production type BBC heads (Brodix, AFR etc), designed for a 4.31 bore (468) will not outflow a top end LSX head on a 4.125 bore. Most are tested on 4.5 or 4.6 bore which skews numbers. BBC aftermarket heads biggest advantage over LS is on exhaust side and availability of intake manifolds. Unfortunately raised exhaust ports normally rule out production headers adding another $1K or so to your build.

I don't see a lot of 900 hp NA BBC's in the 460 CI range - that is near 2 hp per inch and would require stupid high compression and solid roller cam set-up. Can it be done - yes, can it be street driven - questionable.

Best bet in BBC is going to 4.5 inch bore and huge cubic inches. Torque from a 540, 588 or 632 will twist most cars. This is where the real advantage is, along with cheaper parts.

To the OP - keep your WCCH heads and see what you can make. You might want to check with WCCH as to what it would cost to upgrade to Stage 3 with larger valves.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by COPO9560
To the OP - keep your WCCH heads and see what you can make. You might want to check with WCCH as to what it would cost to upgrade to Stage 3 with larger valves.
Agreed! Richards Stage 3 LS3/L92 heads flow right with LS7 heads. I asked Shawn about LS7 heads on my car and he didn't think I'd pickup enough to make it worth the while.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Banned

What are the flow numbers for each set of heads?

I wouldn't buy them unless I had them checked thoroughly. Not used fully assembled heads, not me......

Not sure about the bore needed for them.

Stage 3 L92's wouold be nice...........

Not sure the flow, but after talking to Rich, I'm sticking with my WCCH and then if budget permits, I will do the stage 3

DM

Originally Posted by cam
Theres an awful lot of the Fastest LSx cars running TFS heads... Not slagging on other options Im just saying...

Anyways you fellas might find these links of interest;

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-manifold.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-manifold.html

http://www.planetlsx.com/vehicles/19..._All_Time_/147
Mmmm.... I just moistened myself a bit

DM

Originally Posted by irnwkrkev
If you read the HotRod article on ported rectangular port heads, including a couple of non factory castings you'd see the results on a 468" with a larg hyd roller making more then 700hp. Stock unported heads were making 680 I believe. Your hood might be tall enough to clear that awesome mast intake. I wouldn't sweat getting different heads and just try and nail the combo you have down to the last detail.... T/B, Header size, gearing, clutch..etc

Yeah I talked to Rich @ WCCH and he put me to ease with the heads. If anything, I will do the Stg 3 on them; I also talked to him about opening up the pushrod holes for bigger pushrods and he said that would be a good idea.

lol, with this VFN 5" cowl Ram Air hood, I can hide all kinds of things under it

DM
Old 02-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Banned

Hey LPE... You wanna trade heads & intake

BTW, what is your crank, rod and bore, specs, you may have gone over it in your thread, but I don't recall. Did you have to go with custom or are you using OTS pistons? I ask because I can't find any OTS pistons for my setup and to pay out $1200 for pistons is gonna suck! But.... it's all part of the game isn't it, lol...

Here are the specs:

Crank: 4.125
Rod: 6.125
Bore: 4.165

What sucks is there are OTS pistons for this setup but in a 4.155 and 4.180 bore... i can't go smaller and the Darton MID sleeves have a max bore of 4.175... I'm in dead mans land with this bore, lol...

DM

Yeah I talked to Rich, what a GREAT guy, and he put me to ease with the heads. If anything, I will do a Stg3 as well as increase the diameter of the pushrod holes so that I can run bigger pushrods. I think the cost is around $400 for labor and $200 for parts, but don't quote me on that.

DM

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Agreed! Richards Stage 3 LS3/L92 heads flow right with LS7 heads. I asked Shawn about LS7 heads on my car and he didn't think I'd pickup enough to make it worth the while.

Hey there Bro!

Yeah that is what Rich told me, something like 40cfm more IIRC, so not a big deal. I just hope my budget allows for a Stg3 before time comes to bolt them down

DM
Old 02-13-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
Hey LPE... You wanna trade heads & intake

BTW, what is your crank, rod and bore, specs, you may have gone over it in your thread, but I don't recall. Did you have to go with custom or are you using OTS pistons? I ask because I can't find any OTS pistons for my setup and to pay out $1200 for pistons is gonna suck! But.... it's all part of the game isn't it, lol...

Here are the specs:

Crank: 4.125
Rod: 6.125
Bore: 4.165

What sucks is there are OTS pistons for this setup but in a 4.155 and 4.180 bore... i can't go smaller and the Darton MID sleeves have a max bore of 4.175... I'm in dead mans land with this bore, lol...
DM
Sorry DM...I usually don't subscribe to threads so I missed this one. Lol, don't even know where mine are half the time...

Crank: 4.185
Rod: no idea...lol
Bore: 4.185

Pistons are custom JE. Nothing OTS on my build

...btw, fat chance on the head/intake exchange
Old 02-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned

Sorry DM...I usually don't subscribe to threads so I missed this one. Lol, don't even know where mine are half the time...

Crank: 4.185
Rod: no idea...lol
Bore: 4.185

Pistons are custom JE. Nothing OTS on my build

...btw, fat chance on the head/intake exchange
lol, back and forth... back and forth... lol... I replied in your other thread, but I post it here for the other readers

Oh and if you change your mind on the head swap let me know

Jesus Christ.... .185 stroke!? All the pistons manufacturers that I've called keep telling me that my stroke .125 is the issue. Because of a 6.125 rod it is bring the rod into the crown of the pistons which does not leave much for ring lands... or something like that. Plus since I want to run anywhere from a 10:1 to 11:1 CR, I will need a -20cc dish pistons which does not leave much meat for NOS (200-300 shot).

I was thinking JE as well since they are not only great pistons, but they also quoted me $102 per pistons IIRC vs Wiseco @ $150 and CP @ $185.

DM
DM
Old 02-14-2011, 01:53 AM
Banned

I am not a young guy and have put together a few BBC's for my Gen I. While there are great BBC heads out there, most production type BBC heads (Brodix, AFR etc), designed for a 4.31 bore (468) will not outflow a top end LSX head on a 4.125 bore. Most are tested on 4.5 or 4.6 bore which skews numbers. BBC aftermarket heads biggest advantage over LS is on exhaust side and availability of intake manifolds. Unfortunately raised exhaust ports normally rule out production headers adding another $1K or so to your build.

I don't see a lot of 900 hp NA BBC's in the 460 CI range - that is near 2 hp per inch and would require stupid high compression and solid roller cam set-up. Can it be done - yes, can it be street driven - questionable.

Best bet in BBC is going to 4.5 inch bore and huge cubic inches. Torque from a 540, 588 or 632 will twist most cars. This is where the real advantage is, along with cheaper parts.

I'm just talking aftermarket top end parts......not stock heads. BBC aftermarket heads up against any LSx aftermarket head, even hand ported to the max..........BBC head will kill it in flow. Thats why a 454 sbc vs 454 bbc......454 bbc will kill it every time in power/torque.

Thats all I'm saying to the OP.......no way the best sbc/LSx head is going to feed 460ci LSx engine anywhere near its MAX potential.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:55 AM
Banned

Not sure the flow, but after talking to Rich, I'm sticking with my WCCH and then if budget permits, I will do the stage 3

DM
That'll be sweet, you'll make a ton of power.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:40 AM
Banned

Yeah I just hope I have the coin to lay down for the Stg3 before it comes time to bolt them on

DM
Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairroughneck
I feel the same way. I would love to own a Fast LS7 intake but it doesnt seam like much bang for the buck. Seams like a lot of money to get those last few ponies.
Define "few". The area under the curve is significant, both hp and tq, and this is on a stock motor!

Of course the ported OEM does well, not arguing that. Statement is that FAST is better. Ported FAST is better still.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...stock-ls7.html

and the write up here:

http://www.planetlsx.com/review/Dyno...ke_Manifold/88

This has been repeated a bunch of times, too. They're not cheap but when modding an LS7 or other big cube motor, what do you expect? *Seems* reasonable to me, especially when you consider that you should see more gains on a modded motor like yours. Bang for the buck? That standard changes a little with a pretty high end unit and build like yours.

Fact, it is as I said - all gains, no downside except cost (and drivetrain noise if you care). Whether 15-30rwhp and torque is worth it to you, only you can answer. Start figuring your ALL IN costs otherwise using real math, in $ per HP, and you'll see this starts to make tons of sense, more than it may appear at first. It's only defined as "last" because it sits on top of the motor but that top end, including intake, is where power is made.

*Keep in mind, these results are with NO changes in tuning.

Last edited by jmilz28; 02-14-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm just talking aftermarket top end parts......not stock heads. BBC aftermarket heads up against any LSx aftermarket head, even hand ported to the max..........BBC head will kill it in flow. Thats why a 454 sbc vs 454 bbc......454 bbc will kill it every time in power/torque.

Thats all I'm saying to the OP.......no way the best sbc/LSx head is going to feed 460ci LSx engine anywhere near its MAX potential.

Better check your numbers. Compare a AFR 335 CNC on 4.31 bore against a MAST LS7 head on 4.125. Both sets a shade over $3K assembled. You will find intake better on the MAST and exhaust better on the AFR. Brodix, Dart and other production style BBC heads will show similar results.

Getting away from standard aftermarket offerings for BBC or LSX will get very expensive.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

What about the new DR heads from GM . They are being advertised on the 454 LSX crate motor.

Quick Reply: Will my L92 WCCH Stg2 be enuff head for....