Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will my L92 WCCH Stg2 be enuff head for....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will my L92 WCCH Stg2 be enuff head for....

....a 450c.i. setup? The bore is a 4.165 and the crank is a 4.125.

I'm looking at getting a LS1 with MID Darton sleeves from one of the members here to replace the LQx block that I was going to use to build a 415. The LS1 with the MID is setup form a 4.125 crank, which my Callies Magnum crank is.

DM
Old 02-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
....a 450c.i. setup? The bore is a 4.165 and the crank is a 4.125.

I'm looking at getting a LS1 with MID Darton sleeves from one of the members here to replace the LQx block that I was going to use to build a 415. The LS1 with the MID is setup form a 4.125 crank, which my Callies Magnum crank is.

DM
L92's will get you nowhere near a 450ci's max potential, not even close.

What intake were you considering?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS6427
L92's will get you nowhere near a 450ci's max potential, not even close.

What intake were you considering?

Damn it, I knew I was forgetting something, lol...

The intake will be a Vic Jr and 4150 TB.

What heads would be good, LS7, TF 235's ?

DM
Old 02-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Banned

Damn it, I knew I was forgetting something, lol...

The intake will be a Vic Jr and 4150 TB.

What heads would be good, LS7, TF 235's ?

DM
Kickass intake..........

There's not a head made that will properly feed a 450ci yet.....not to its max potential anyway.

Think of how much more power a 450ci BBC would make just because they have heads that flow a ton more than LSx/SBC heads do.

But if money is no concern....I would say a set of All-Pro's or ET heads. Ported LS7 heads would kickass too. 450ci with the right top end will make 700-750+ FWHP.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Banned

Kickass intake..........

There's not a head made that will properly feed a 450ci yet.....not to its max potential anyway.

Think of how much more power a 450ci BBC would make just because they have heads that flow a ton more than LSx/SBC heads do.

But if money is no concern....I would say a set of All-Pro's or ET heads. Ported LS7 heads would kickass too. 450ci with the right top end will make 700-750+ FWHP.

No, $$$ is deff an issue, lol...

Well I have WCCH L92 Stg2 heads right now so I guess they will have to do till something better comes along. i just wanted to get an idea on if they were just way too restrictive or not.

DM
Old 02-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Banned

No, $$$ is deff an issue, lol...

Well I have WCCH L92 Stg2 heads right now so I guess they will have to do till something better comes along. i just wanted to get an idea on if they were just way too restrictive or not.

DM
Don't get me wrong, I wish I had your heads......but 450ci can slurp up a lot of air very quickly......way into the 400's (cfm) is what BIG cubes engines need.

You should still easily be able to make 600 RWHP..............

At least your not going with a plastic intake, that would be the restriction later on when you do get better flowing heads.

My builder is doing a 441ci for me, he recommended I go with his ported LS7 heads (400+cfm@ .650). But that I go with an LS7 intake. I think the LS7 intake will be my restriction, as well as the heads if I had a better flowing intake would then be the restriction. I don't think even the best LSx type heads can even feed a 441ci to their max potential. So, I'll be different than you, restrictive intake and good heads.

If I could get a Vic Jr. or any carb style intake to fit under my stock hood I'd definitely use it.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Banned

Don't get me wrong, I wish I had your heads......but 450ci can slurp up a lot of air very quickly......way into the 400's (cfm) is what BIG cubes engines need.

You should still easily be able to make 600 RWHP..............

At least your not going with a plastic intake, that would be the restriction later on when you do get better flowing heads.

My builder is doing a 441ci for me, he recommended I go with his ported LS7 heads (400+cfm@ .650). But that I go with an LS7 intake. I think the LS7 intake will be my restriction, as well as the heads if I had a better flowing intake would then be the restriction. I don't think even the best LSx type heads can even feed a 441ci to their max potential. So, I'll be different than you, restrictive intake and good heads.

If I could get a Vic Jr. or any carb style intake to fit under my stock hood I'd definitely use it.

Damn I wish I was back at home in Miami, we could build these monster side by side, lol...

Well I am talking to a member that has a set of TF 235 heads he may be willing to trade me for my L92 setup and from everything I've heard about the TF 235, they are SICK! I don't recall the #'s, but they are TF's Bad Boy heads.

How much did the Ls7 heads run you? Yeah they issue with the Ls7's is it's either OEM plastic or a custom $6 billion intake

I'd love to run some C5r (I think thats what they're called) heads, I've heard they are plain stupid, lol...

As for the Vic Jr, I don't care about cutting my **** up, no biggie, plus I have a VFN 5" cowl Ram Air pin-on hood

DM
Old 02-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Banned

Damn I wish I was back at home in Miami, we could build these monster side by side, lol...

Well I am talking to a member that has a set of TF 235 heads he may be willing to trade me for my L92 setup and from everything I've heard about the TF 235, they are SICK! I don't recall the #'s, but they are TF's Bad Boy heads.

How much did the Ls7 heads run you? Yeah they issue with the Ls7's is it's either OEM plastic or a custom $6 billion intake

I'd love to run some C5r (I think thats what they're called) heads, I've heard they are plain stupid, lol...

As for the Vic Jr, I don't care about cutting my **** up, no biggie, plus I have a VFN 5" cowl Ram Air pin-on hood

DM
His ported LS7's are close to $3,000 complete, assembled, ready to install. I think he said on his bench they flow 404cfm @ .650. I'm going with 650 lift.

Yes, I have heard the TF heads are badass too. I think they make a 245, right??????

I'm not too familiar with the C5R heads.....I don't know why a head made so many years ago is still one of the top LSx heads. My builder builds alot of C5R engines and I've seen those heads many times in his shop. He always has a couple of those builds on stands in the shop when I go by there.

Someone needs to design an intake for our engines like the Viper has.....air comes into individual plenums to either side of center. One TB rod can open both TB blades, and then our MAFs, TPS sensor and IAC valve can be used right before the airflow splits. We would just need one hose from the air lid that splits into two....unlike the Viper using two separate pipes from the lid.

Pic below.

Attached Thumbnails Will my L92 WCCH Stg2 be enuff head for....-viper.engine.jpg  
Old 02-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Banned

WOW! $3k is some change to lay down... NICE!

Yeah I think you're right, there is a TF 245...

There is an intake that has Dual TB, it is an Aussie comapny that makes them IIRC, I'll try to find the info, I know I posted about it a while back.

Well I guess as long as my L92's will fit a 4.165 bore I'll run those till the Lotto hits for me, lol...

So where ya at in SoFL, are you in Dade or Broward, who is building your setup?

DM
Old 02-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Banned

WOW! $3k is some change to lay down... NICE!

Yeah I think you're right, there is a TF 245...

There is an intake that has Dual TB, it is an Aussie comapny that makes them IIRC, I'll try to find the info, I know I posted about it a while back.

Well I guess as long as my L92's will fit a 4.165 bore I'll run those till the Lotto hits for me, lol...

So where ya at in SoFL, are you in Dade or Broward, who is building your setup?

DM
They're less than $3,000, I think $2700 total. Ft. Lauderdale.

Air-Flow Technology in Pompano. He builds tons of LSx's, hundreds runnig around this area, crazy nice idles and big power. Pricing is awesome too. Its just nice to be able to have an engine built locally, with a 1 year full warranty. Shipping things all over sucks if something happens to it.

You should make 600 RWHP, maybe more with your L92's, don't worry. put a 100 shot on it till you save for better heads.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Banned

They're less than $3,000, I think $2700 total. Ft. Lauderdale.

Air-Flow Technology in Pompano. He builds tons of LSx's, hundreds runnig around this area, crazy nice idles and big power. Pricing is awesome too. Its just nice to be able to have an engine built locally, with a 1 year full warranty. Shipping things all over sucks if something happens to it.

You should make 600 RWHP, maybe more with your L92's, don't worry. put a 100 shot on it till you save for better heads.

Hmmm... I wonder what he would quote me!?

The block itself is ready for the build, but my rotating assembly needs to be balanced.

I can't find them using Google, do you have their contact info?

Yeah 600RW would be a great # to see especially when I know a lot of guys that are running turbos and snails.

I will probably be hitting it with a 200 shot for a little fun

DM
Old 02-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Banned

I just looked TFS heads up and yeah, they make a 245 and a 265. The ETP 255s look like a much more user friendly head, meaning that from what I gathered about the 265s, you need to use Jesel shaft rockers and a custom VC, where as with the 255 you can use LS7 rockers. Now being that I am only on about 4 hours sleep from the past day and a half, I may have this totally wrong, lol, but I thought that's what I read in one of these threads. Oh and apparently the 255 flow better, but again, I'm dead to the world so I may have interpreted this wrong, lol...

DM
Old 02-09-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

If you go LS7 heads, the FAST LS7 unit is a NOTABLE step up from factory with no downside over OEM except for cost and valvetrain noise.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering you already have an awesome set of heads and intake, I think you would come out best to put together what you already have. All your parts are proven performers.

Last edited by ramairroughneck; 02-09-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jmilz28
If you go LS7 heads, the FAST LS7 unit is a NOTABLE step up from factory with no downside over OEM except for cost and valvetrain noise.
Do you mean the FAST LS7 intake is a step up from the factory ported LS7 intake?

If thats what you mean.....the ported LS7 intake is on top of a bunch of 600+ RWHP 427ci LS7 Z06's around here. It does very well, as long as the heads underneath it can breath.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you mean the FAST LS7 intake is a step up from the factory ported LS7 intake?

If thats what you mean.....the ported LS7 intake is on top of a bunch of 600+ RWHP 427ci LS7 Z06's around here. It does very well, as long as the heads underneath it can breath.

I feel the same way. I would love to own a Fast LS7 intake but it doesnt seam like much bang for the buck. Seams like a lot of money to get those last few ponies.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:12 AM
Banned

A member is selling a set of Cartek 5X 243 heads with a 5x cam.

Would these 5x heads with the Super Vic Jr intake be a better option than my L92 WCCH Stg 2 or if I get the Stg 3 done to them and the Vic Jr? Would a 5x cam be good for a 450 stroker; if so, that would save me $400+ right there?

Here's the info copied from his post:

Cartek 5X 243 majorly ported heads and cam combo. The heads were just sent to cartek for inspection June 2010. Only 1500miles since recent valve job, pressure checked and re-surfacing. The 5X cam was ground by Cartek to the heads at the same time. The heads have some inperfections on one of the combustion chambers from a prior piston giving out and putting some indentations but does not effect the performance of the head its all in the combustion chamber nothing on the head surface. I will also be including the correct length pushrods. Heads need valves springs of your choice and possibbly a cleaning other than that they are ready to run. The heads are set up for motors 4.060 bore and up and the cam was ground for a 427ci. No real dyno numbers with the setup because my bottom end was having issues but cartek has some 427's making 600rwhp with there 5X combo.

Specs
GM 243 castings
2.10 Manley SS Intake Valves
1.60 Manely SS Exhaust Valves
Milled to 58cc Chambers
7.350 Comp Hardend pushrods
Cam specs unknown

Edit: ****... I just thought of something... Will they even would on a 4.165 bore!?

DM

Last edited by Devils Mentor; 02-10-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:35 AM
Banned

A member is selling a set of Cartek 5X 243 heads with a 5x cam.

Would these 5x heads with the Super Vic Jr intake be a better option than my L92 WCCH Stg 2 or if I get the Stg 3 done to them and the Vic Jr? Would a 5x cam be good for a 450 stroker; if so, that would save me $400+ right there?

Here's the info copied from his post:

Cartek 5X 243 majorly ported heads and cam combo. The heads were just sent to cartek for inspection June 2010. Only 1500miles since recent valve job, pressure checked and re-surfacing. The 5X cam was ground by Cartek to the heads at the same time. The heads have some inperfections on one of the combustion chambers from a prior piston giving out and putting some indentations but does not effect the performance of the head its all in the combustion chamber nothing on the head surface. I will also be including the correct length pushrods. Heads need valves springs of your choice and possibbly a cleaning other than that they are ready to run. The heads are set up for motors 4.060 bore and up and the cam was ground for a 427ci. No real dyno numbers with the setup because my bottom end was having issues but cartek has some 427's making 600rwhp with there 5X combo.

Specs
GM 243 castings
2.10 Manley SS Intake Valves
1.60 Manely SS Exhaust Valves
Milled to 58cc Chambers
7.350 Comp Hardend pushrods
Cam specs unknown

Edit: ****... I just thought of something... Will they even would on a 4.165 bore!?

DM
What are the flow numbers for each set of heads?

I wouldn't buy them unless I had them checked thoroughly. Not used fully assembled heads, not me......

Not sure about the bore needed for them.

Stage 3 L92's wouold be nice...........

Old 02-10-2011, 03:08 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Theres an awful lot of the Fastest LSx cars running TFS heads... Not slagging on other options Im just saying...

Anyways you fellas might find these links of interest;

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-manifold.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-manifold.html

http://www.planetlsx.com/vehicles/19..._All_Time_/147
Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

If you read the HotRod article on ported rectangular port heads, including a couple of non factory castings you'd see the results on a 468" with a larg hyd roller making more then 700hp. Stock unported heads were making 680 I believe. Your hood might be tall enough to clear that awesome mast intake. I wouldn't sweat getting different heads and just try and nail the combo you have down to the last detail.... T/B, Header size, gearing, clutch..etc

Quick Reply: Will my L92 WCCH Stg2 be enuff head for....