Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR heads ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AFR heads ? ? ?

Hello, I don't have a lot of time to research this topic right now so I need to ask opinions. Preferrably from people who have them or experience with them.

Friend of mine just purchased a 2010 2SS. His plans were origanally Headers and exhaust, possible blower cam and to bolt on a Procharger.

So far he bought the Kooks long tubes, catted Y-pipe and Flowmaster catback. So thats all done now.

Now he wants to put the cam in and is considering heads and Fast intake at the same time.

He's pretty stuck on AFR heads because we always thought they were the best when building our First gen small blocks. How do AFR heads work on these newer motor compared to what else is on the market? Money isn't a big factor so not interested in a better deal. Just the best head.

Keep in mind the Procharger will go on shortly after.

Is 500RWHP doable with heads, cam, Longtubes and Fast intake on these newer motors?
Old 10-21-2011, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty much the same, AFR is the best "affordable" cylinder head there is in most peoples opinions.

Yes people can get to 500rwhp like that.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mast for rectangle.
AFR for cathedral.

Opinions will vary considerably with most people siding with the brand they happened to have purchased.

Last edited by FLYZNTN; 10-21-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

I will get besieged for saying this but here goes. I believe afr heads provide a big step up over factory heads in the sbc world but not so much with the ls engines. The factory heads when given a good valve job with some minor porting are within a few hp of aftermarket heads at a lot less cost. That suggestion is not popular but if you research and look at real apples to apples comparisons that is what is left in my opinion.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If money is not a issue go with Trick Flows u can't lose with them.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
I will get besieged for saying this but here goes. I believe afr heads provide a big step up over factory heads in the sbc world but not so much with the ls engines. The factory heads when given a good valve job with some minor porting are within a few hp of aftermarket heads at a lot less cost. That suggestion is not popular but if you research and look at real apples to apples comparisons that is what is left in my opinion.
Totally agree.

I should have listed stock ported first.

That said, for boosted applications the thicker decks offered with the aftermarket heads make them a little more attractive.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tell him to check out the Texas Speed small bore LS7 heads.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the great things about these motors is we have sooooo many choices and really they are all reaaaaaaally good

Money no object though AFR, Mast, TFS and PI are all better than a factory casting.....
Old 10-29-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have AFRs. nice heads and ill add they have great customer service.

but ive heard MAST is the head to go with right now if you can afford them.

Quick Reply: AFR heads ? ? ?