Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UMI solid motor mount issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMI solid motor mount issue

I have a 98 formula with umi k member, and solid motor mounts. Im running texas speed 1 7/8" headers and off road y pipe. I can't get the drivers side of the y pipe to go on. It hits the floor and the trans cross member. I noticed the umi solid mounts could be bolted on one way to give more engine to k member clearance or fliped to bring it closer to the k member. UMI said there is only a 1/8" difference in offset. Has anyone had this same issue?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Anyone had problems with texas speed y pipe setups not fitting?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive installed our 1 7/8s headers and y-pipe on this exact k-member and solid motor mount combo and had no fitment issues whatsoever. You might try loosening the header bolts on the driver side header to allow you to make a minor adjustment to aim the collector slightly down so it will help ease y-pipe installation.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The motor mounts are only designed to be installed one way since they are offset. I will need to double check which way the offset goes, most customers have been comparing them to how they took the factory mounts off and placing the solid mounts the same way.

I will get you a little more information because I don't know if the engine will bolt into the K-member if the mounts are upside down.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys. The engineering drawing shows the 2.023" side up and the 2.302 side down.

This means you have the option of MAYBE raising the engine but as Ryan said, the bolts may not go through due to the tight hole tolerances vs bolt size.

Maybe try what Aaron suggested and loosen everything and maneuver things around to get it to go on. Then tighten.

Let me know how you make out and in the meantime we'll have our thinking caps on.

ramey
Old 11-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Teching In

The mounts can def bolt to the block either way, as well as the k member. I appreciate the suggestions. I will try loosening the drivers header once and see if i can get the y pipe started.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Angry UMI solid mounts

would of been nice to know this when I installed them ! When I put mine on it moved the drivers side over . I had to cut the driveshaft loop off as the driveshaft now hit against the loop .
There were no markings for right or left or up or down . Figured my original mounts were just worn . Now I'm wondering if I have one upside down ?
I looked at the picture on the UMI site and they still look identical top to bottom . What should I be looking for ?
Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by "Grabby" 2000Z28
would of been nice to know this when I installed them ! When I put mine on it moved the drivers side over . I had to cut the driveshaft loop off as the driveshaft now hit against the loop .
There were no markings for right or left or up or down . Figured my original mounts were just worn . Now I'm wondering if I have one upside down ?
I looked at the picture on the UMI site and they still look identical top to bottom . What should I be looking for ?
We now engrave "top" in the mounts and supply pictured instructions. In the past we assumed that customer could look at how their original mounts where offset and install them that way, that didn't work.

If you PM me an e-mail address I can forward you installation instructions.

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good morning.

Here's an example of proper installation orientation:
Old 07-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Default UMI solid mounts

Ah , thank you Ryan . I've got the trans out right now so would be a good time to check .
I have your K-member also and am very happy with it !
Old 07-28-2013, 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

Glad to hear! If we can help any let me know.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hey guys. The engineering drawing shows the 2.023" side up and the 2.302 side down.

This means you have the option of MAYBE raising the engine but as Ryan said, the bolts may not go through due to the tight hole tolerances vs bolt size.

Maybe try what Aaron suggested and loosen everything and maneuver things around to get it to go on. Then tighten.

Let me know how you make out and in the meantime we'll have our thinking caps on.

ramey
Hey guys bringing this back cause my cars on the lift and I'm having similar issues. I have an old set with no engravings. You say the shorter side goes on top but the picture showes the shorter side on the bottom?
Old 07-02-2017, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by droksformula
Hey guys bringing this back cause my cars on the lift and I'm having similar issues. I have an old set with no engravings. You say the shorter side goes on top but the picture showes the shorter side on the bottom?
Yeah this, sorry to bring back an old thread. I've got some of the older mounts I believe were engraved wrong. I'm trying to get some clarification on this.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now when using this solid mounts, will it make it difficult to remove/install the transmission since it doesn't have that play as you would have with the rubber or urethane engine mount bushings? Especially when removing trans bolts to the engine.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just left them in upside down because mine were part of the batch that were labeled wrong. I didn't feel like messing with it again. I'm guessing all it does is set the engine down about a quarter of an inch...

Quick Reply: UMI solid motor mount issue