Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Flywheel Holder

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Lightbulb DIY Flywheel Holder

I've been wanting to make some kind of flywheel holder because I know cranking down the VVT cam phaser bolt is going to take a lot of umph, not to mention R&R of the balancer bolt is always difficult. There is a great tool out there from Kent Moore / SPX Specialty Tools J-42386-A that bolts to the starter flange area and holds the flywheel with interfacing teeth. It runs about $80 new. Here's a picture:

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a used one for a while, but nothing has come up. So I've decided to go ahead and make one. I started with a piece of 1/4" steel scrap and traced the teeth of the flywheel against it. Then I made a bunch of cuts with a thick cutoff wheel as shown.

With a bit of trimming I had a whole bunch of teeth. As you can see mytooth spacing was anything but perfect, so I cut it down to just a few teeth and trimmed to fit. Here is what I ended up with.

Using bits and pieces of scrap, I cut a bridge between two pieces of tube and tacked it together while bolted to the engine. Then I welded it, bolted it back up and tacked another piece to hold my set of teeth. I wish the pictures turned out better - I'm proud of the monster I've created. Yeah it's UGLY, but the tooth engagement is pretty darn good and I think it will serve it's purpose well.

This took me about 4 hours to make from some scrap metal I had laying around from other projects. The Kent Moore tool is certainly worth the money, but this is another way to get the job done if you're on a budget.

Hope it helps someone!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love making stuff with scraps, and enjoy looking at other peep's homemade stuff! Nice job!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

USDA prime American ingenuity!!!! Nice work
Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

My .02 cents on a easier way?? Cut a portion of the ring gear off of junkyard a flex plate heat and beat other direction weld accordingly??
Old 03-22-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice work I enjoy trying to build stuff like this and its cool to see other peoples ideas
Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Nice job....
Old 03-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Teching In

I took a slightly easier route. Piece of an old sbc flexplate from junk pile. Welded to angle iron and drilled for starter bolts. Works fine even though curved "wrong" way.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Nice work. I would have done the same if I had an old flexplate laying around.

This is one of those tools where I don't know how I lived without it before.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Came across this thread for those who don't want to make it yourself, I'd say it's worth the money:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...e-holders.html
Old 06-29-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like seeing stuff like this, good job
Old 10-23-2016, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Default Dimensions

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I've been wanting to make some kind of flywheel holder because I know cranking down the VVT cam phaser bolt is going to take a lot of umph, not to mention R&R of the balancer bolt is always difficult. There is a great tool out there from Kent Moore / SPX Specialty Tools J-42386-A that bolts to the starter flange area and holds the flywheel with interfacing teeth. It runs about $80 new. Here's a picture:

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a used one for a while, but nothing has come up. So I've decided to go ahead and make one. I started with a piece of 1/4" steel scrap and traced the teeth of the flywheel against it. Then I made a bunch of cuts with a thick cutoff wheel as shown.

With a bit of trimming I had a whole bunch of teeth. As you can see mytooth spacing was anything but perfect, so I cut it down to just a few teeth and trimmed to fit. Here is what I ended up with.

Using bits and pieces of scrap, I cut a bridge between two pieces of tube and tacked it together while bolted to the engine. Then I welded it, bolted it back up and tacked another piece to hold my set of teeth. I wish the pictures turned out better - I'm proud of the monster I've created. Yeah it's UGLY, but the tooth engagement is pretty darn good and I think it will serve it's purpose well.

This took me about 4 hours to make from some scrap metal I had laying around from other projects. The Kent Moore tool is certainly worth the money, but this is another way to get the job done if you're on a budget.

Hope it helps someone!
Can you please post some dimensions of this holder or a drawing . I am trying to make one but need the exact dimensions.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2016, 03:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$29 shipped.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Speed-2800-LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LSX-Flywheel-Flexplate-Holder-Locking-Tool-USA-Made-/191755290967?nav=SEARCH

Quick Reply: DIY Flywheel Holder