Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"UPDATE"!Well, well, WTF Happened Here!??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your engine "kicked back" against the starter, it could've done that. had a customer the other day in a buick with a bad ignition module....he kept cranking. the compression kicked back, and snapped the starter.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRA4MULA
Thats where I would look ...if your cranking it and have a instant voltage drop and then its back that will blow that starter right off the block ... I had issues with a small block chevy that broke the block and had to weld studs in to it and then cracked/broke the starter check the cables did you change the battery ....... I could see if you had some coolant loss or the timming was way up but you checked and rechecked all of that I'm thinking start with the basics and check the cables and battery and grounds .....just my 2 cents
Yes, in fact i just put a different lightweight battery in it a little while ago.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Yes, in fact i just put a different lightweight battery in it a little while ago.
I bet you need more amps than that one has
Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 AM
9 Second Club

I bet you need more amps than that one has
It says it has 960 CA so i'm not sure what's going on??
Old 05-31-2012, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Sometimes things dont do what they say ..... if you crank it and have a bad end on a cable or ground it should get hot
Old 05-31-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

if your battery's in the trunk, you'll lose quite a bit of amperage coming up front. also, if you're still using side terminal, disconnect the battery, and look inside of both cable ends. corrosion has a nasty habit of forming inside the insulation, and i've had many many cases when it would prevent a car from even accepting a boost.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:09 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
if your battery's in the trunk, you'll lose quite a bit of amperage coming up front. also, if you're still using side terminal, disconnect the battery, and look inside of both cable ends. corrosion has a nasty habit of forming inside the insulation, and i've had many many cases when it would prevent a car from even accepting a boost.
Yep, battery is in the back. I think i have it licked. The battery that i was using just must not had enough uhmph. Like stated above, i believe then the starter would drop out while cranking and then kickback out, in turn breaking the starter cases. The only thing weird is that i am getting multiple missfire codes now. The only thing changed was the timing tables lowered in my tune for startup. Could this cause this issue??
Old 06-01-2012, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Yep, battery is in the back. I think i have it licked. The battery that i was using just must not had enough uhmph. Like stated above, i believe then the starter would drop out while cranking and then kickback out, in turn breaking the starter cases. The only thing weird is that i am getting multiple missfire codes now. The only thing changed was the timing tables lowered in my tune for startup. Could this cause this issue??
Did you get the cables and battery fixed it mat have just been spiking system with low voltage and that may have caused the other issues .... I get it up and running and see what happens and go from there
Old 06-01-2012, 01:33 PM
9 Second Club

Did you get the cables and battery fixed it mat have just been spiking system with low voltage and that may have caused the other issues .... I get it up and running and see what happens and go from there
Yes, everythings fixed and back to normal besides the timing change on startup. Still have the multiple missfire code showing up......
Old 06-02-2012, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

Yes, everythings fixed and back to normal besides the timing change on startup. Still have the multiple missfire code showing up......
Maybe put the timming back where it was on start up ?
Old 06-02-2012, 07:08 AM
9 Second Club

Maybe put the timming back where it was on start up ?
Ya, not sure why this would effect anything but that is my next move. Put my tune back to where it was and see what happens...
Old 06-02-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Ok, it must be electrical is all i can figure. I have random codes now popping up. Started seeing bank 1 o2 sensor failure which is brand new. Now i am seeing multiple miss fire codes and crankshaft position sensor A failure! Thing runs like a top so it just can't be anything with these codes!??
I would start checking these codes, I would start with "crankshaft A failure" check wiring, check signals, etc,etc

Buy any chance are these powered or grounded at the same point?
Old 06-02-2012, 12:44 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by zipster
I would start checking these codes, I would start with "crankshaft A failure" check wiring, check signals, etc,etc

Buy any chance are these powered or grounded at the same point?
Crankshaft signal code went away. Now i am only stuck with the multiple miss fire code. Thing runs fine and doesn't seem to be missing a beat so i'm not sure what's going on yet. The battery power is coming from the same source and the grounds are grounded to death. I have 4 grounds in various places including the block. All are connected in different spots on the car so i am 99% sure it's not the ground wire/wires.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Headers and considerable cam overlap????
Old 06-02-2012, 02:38 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Headers and considerable cam overlap????
Oh, for sure. Just that it wasn't an issue before this mess with the starter so i am pretty sure it's not that...
Old 06-02-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, for sure. Just that it wasn't an issue before this mess with the starter so i am pretty sure it's not that...
If you were having elec power problems something may have fried. Injector drivers or coil packs . Just a thought.. Damn you are having some bad lluck.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
If you were having elec power problems something may have fried. Injector drivers or coil packs . Just a thought.. Damn you are having some bad lluck.
^^^^ Thats what I was thinking but just did'nt want to say it ...... run it down the road and see how it is
Old 06-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Launching!

I say put the tune back to stock and run it awhile, see if that stops the starter from breaking...
Old 06-04-2012, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

I am assuming since you said the flexplate only has 1000 miles on it you recently had the transmission pulled away from the motor. I have seen the wiring harness that runs across the back of the engine fall down and get pinched in between the motor and transmission causing all kinds of issues.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Launching!

I am assuming since you said the flexplate only has 1000 miles on it you recently had the transmission pulled away from the motor. I have seen the wiring harness that runs across the back of the engine fall down and get pinched in between the motor and transmission causing all kinds of issues. Ditto

Quick Reply: "UPDATE"!Well, well, WTF Happened Here!??