Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon XR Cross-Ram

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbon XR Cross-Ram

Performance Design out of Troy, MI is producing this twin TB carbon fiber intake. TB's are 70 or 75mm, plenum volume 7.2l (14.4l total). Manifold height is 11.3in from valley base to top of TB. Runner length is 11.5in.

Anyone seen one, played with one?
Attached Thumbnails Carbon XR Cross-Ram-carbon-xr-ls7-intake-04.jpg  
Old 07-22-2013, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

From the website:
Carbon XR LS7 Intake Manifold
Performance Design has officially released the Carbon XR LS7 Intake Manifold for high performance applications requiring the ultimate power and torque. The Carbon XR is designed and built for installations with larger engine bays, a need for performance uninhibited by packaging and desiring killer looks. It delivers greater airflow, runner length tuned for peak torque and the beauty of carbon fiber.

The Carbon XR intake manifold features dual throttles to eliminate airflow restrictions, tall deck fitment without spacers and 12.5” long runners for superior torque curves. The airflow path is similar to an I.T.B. intake with improved driveability due to a reduced number of throttles requiring synchronization and finer throttle area control at tip-in. Carbon fiber is utilized for its light weight, strength and improved heat soak characteristics vs. an aluminum casting. The throttle body flange can be pre-selected for different throttle bodies and throttle bore sizes. Dual 75mm throttles support up to 900HP naturally aspirated airflow while optional dual 90mm throttles support over 1300HP N.A. in airflow. The intake utilizes production sensors, PCV routing and has charcoal canister and vacuum ports available. Custom configurations are possible if necessary for fitment and function to specific applications.

A cross-ram, dual plenum, dual throttle intake manifold allows packaging of long and straight intake runners with raised bellmouths allowing superior flow development into the runner and less restriction in the runner. Optimum injector targeting aimed at the back of the intake valve is maintained for emissions, fuel atomization, combustion and power. The plenum and runner volumes are sized to support big displacement and high power engines. Further, the plenum shapes are designed and located to be symmetric providing engine bay aesthetics and even throttle mounting flanges. No compromises were made in the flow path or plenum sizing; form follows function to obtain the best possible performance without the cost, complexity, weight and cost of ITB intakes where absolute throttle response is not critical.

The Carbon XR is constructed of all carbon fiber and billet 6061-T6 aluminum. A 5-Axis CNC machined head flange offers perfect port matching to the LS7 head entrance. The carbon fiber runners are constructed using high temp pre-preg manufacture with braided sock resulting in no seams or ply drops throughout the part for ultimate strength. The plenums employ a high temp resin RTM manufacturing process for consistent wall and beautiful finish out of the mold and is backed with a structural reinforcement member. The intake is fully bonded with high temp structural adhesive. The Carbon XR is fully designed and manufactured in the U.S.A. and hand assembled in Troy, Michigan.

This intake finds its ideal use in Performance Marine and Off-Shore Race Boats, Off-Road Race Truck/Sandcar, Hot Rod/Resto Rod, Airboat, Kit Car and Racing markets. Currently the intake is built for LS7 ports with an LS3 version in development. The retail price is $4,999 and dealer inquiries are being accepted.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Met the guy at SEMA, pretty sure he said he used to work at Kinsler....nice piece.

11.3 = NFW in an fbody.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats over $1000 more than the Jenvey ITB setup, I know which I'd rather have.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by yamoda
Thats over $1000 more than the Jenvey ITB setup, I know which I'd rather have.
Agreed.
That's the price for a piece of art to hang on a wall, not on an engine.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dyno Junkie
a piece of art to hang on a wall, not on an engine.
Yeah, for my money, it's got to be used, or I can't justify the expense.

For other people's money, I don't mind admiring it Especially when it comes with a couple of trailers and a pit crew
Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's an amazing looking manifold.

I feel like I saw it on powerblock not too long ago...on the engine dyno...
Old 07-24-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was very interested in this manifold years ago when it was still a prototype until I realized height. It wouldn't fit in anything I drive without enormous scoops.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Surely a itb set up would reap more benefits ? Ie throttle response jenvey now do a set for ls7 heads with 60mm per runner iam no maths expert but 8 x 60s got to be better then two 75s
Old 07-26-2013, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Met the guy at SEMA, pretty sure he said he used to work at Kinsler....nice piece.

11.3 = NFW in an fbody.
Don't know about Kinsler, but he told me himself he worked for Katech during a convo I had with him before.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldnt even use that piece of art in a vehicle

Quick Reply: Carbon XR Cross-Ram