Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP valve cover problems........

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:37 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GMPP valve cover problems........

Not sure if this is a valve cover issue or a cylinder head(ETP) design issue, but I can't keep these covers from leaking or the gasket popping out. They seem to want to move up on the narrow top rail as they are tightened down. Thought I had it good this time, but it looks like they worked their way up again.

Anyone else have trouble with GMPP covers?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a set of the black gm valve cover gaskets.
I had problems with the grey and blue gaskets. They are softer than the black ones.

Tim
Old 10-08-2013, 07:47 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

The first ones I used were the black that came with these covers...see second photo. Then I tried the grey ones because they were wider and softer to see if it made a difference..1st photo. Same result. I have the blue also, but don't think it will help. Seems that when the bolts center the covers they move upward. If they stayed where they were with the bolts loose, the fit would be perfect.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't have GMPP valve covers, but remove the covers and clean the gasket channel around the whole cover with brake-clean. The gasket channel must be completely oil-free then install the new gaskets. When clean the gaskets will be hard to insert into the cover channel and when installed they will not leak.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do what he said and clean them and make sure they are dry. Do not tighten them too much. I've been running GMPP valve covers for 5-6 years with no problems.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Had a similar problem with some half inch spacers. If those covers use the rubber grommet seal on the bolts, make sure the washer is big enough to keep the grommet from squeezing up around it and thus loosening the hold on the covers. And make sure you tighten them to 106 inch pounds.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:34 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Cleaned the cover, used a new gasket that fit quite snug in the groove and applied some RTV along the inner side of it to lock it in place. Took it for a test drive today and the gasket stayed in place, but the push-in oil cap blew out. Could be the valve cover vent is too small?? Both covers are vented to a Moroso breather tank. Just a few short throttle stabs today....peak boost logged was 18psi.

Last edited by DrX; 10-27-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:38 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Now I am wondering whether oil is pooling at the rear of the covers under acceleration, blocking the drivers side from venting as the tube is at the rear on that cover. Could this force all the pressure to vent from the passenger side, which is where I am having all the trouble? I wasn't having this trouble with the previous covers that had no baffles, but had -12 breather ports near the front on both sides. Covers before that had -10 but the drivers side was at the rear and the oil just pumped straight into the intake with a pcv setup....filled the catch can full in no time.

Quick Reply: GMPP valve cover problems........