Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

408 Drops a Valve due to Rocker Issue, Great way to start a Wedding Day!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 408 Drops a Valve due to Rocker Issue, Great way to start a Wedding Day!

***PRC / TEXAS SPEED UPDATE***
Alright it has become clear that PRC / Texas Speed did not sell a product to CPR that was defective that I then bought. We both agree the Valves are not appropriate for my application and that will be corrected. However the true cause to this issue was not their fault it was actually a result of the Dealer Parts Department. When The LS3 Rockers and LS3 Pedestals were ordered somehow (this is still being looked into but the Dealer has promised to handle all damage) I got the LS3 Pedestals (LS7 Heads have the Pedestals built into the head unlike LS1/6, LS2 and LS3 Heads) but for some reason I got LS7 Rockers. As I had never worked on nor thought about LS7 Rockers I did not know to look for such a failure. Honestly I don't think anyone expected that to be the cause. However when they were compared to LS3 Rockers it became quite clear what the issue was.
PRC / Texas Speed has been very helpful since they became involved, while I did not know these were Texas Speed heads I was wrong to fault them in this case. For this mistake I apologize to PRC / Texas Speed. I spoke with Dominic personally to apologize immediately after talking to the dealer so that I could do so directly and not just over the internet. Dominic has been very helpful and I thank him for the way he has handled this issue it speaks very well of the service Texas Speed provides.

At this time I am waiting for estimates from Texas Speed on fixing the head situation with the proper setup for my build directly this time. The Machine Shop handling the Short Block has gotten back to me with some good news, only the Piston was damaged and technically it could be fixed but I have asked them to replace it. At this time nothing else was found to be damaged. I hope it stays that way.

Thank you to PRC / Texas Speed

***UPDATE***
Alright we had an outside shop take a look at the motor to determine the reason for failure. We sent Texas Speed/PRC the damaged head while the other head was left on the motor as it was installed. (We had only removed the valve cover on that head) The call we got today confirmed that Push Rod length was correct which we already knew on our end but did the due diligence to confirm from an outside source to be fair. They told us that the issue was the intake retainer hits the rocker no matter what the push rod length, its a clearance issue.
Since factory LS3 Rockers and Factory Pedestals were used we have determined this is not an install issue. (Both were bought brand new from the dealer for this install not reused) None of the exhaust retainer's had an issue only the intake side on both heads had this issue. We did not install the springs these were a loaded set when purchased.
Texas Speed/Dominic has been very prompt in getting in touch with us, they will be speaking with the shop soon. Dominic did confirm that the cam lift was not big enough to be the issue with me over the phone. I want to thank them for that and I hope we get this corrected soon.

So Yesterday (10/19) the day of the wedding, things haven't been going all that smoothly but hey that's how it normally is according to everyone.

So I am taking Tyler, my son to his soccer game that morning, cruising on I-10 in the slow lane just enjoying the day. Then BANG and White Smoke cloud behind me. Car shuts down I coast off the interstate and call a tow truck trying to figure out what's going on.... weird very small coolant trail, coolant level is fine, oil is clear, looks like there is a very very small coolant leak from under the Passenger Fog Light *Scratching head*.

Tow company comes out and 100.00 later and some more coolant we are all scratching our heads. Pull the plugs on the drivers side they all have coolant on them. Start pulling the Passenger side to do the same and we decided to pull the intake and suddenly a waterfall of coolant starts coming out of it.... great.

Pull the Valve Cover on the Passenger side and we didn't catch the issue right away. Pulled the spark plugs, the front one just dumps coolant.... Pull the intake manifold and we found what you now see in the pictures I have attached...

So in closing I am pretty frustrated with my new PRC Heads right now. Hopefully I will hear back from Joe @ CPR as to if they will warranty these. Its clear it was a defect with them the question is did it damage my short block.

Now to try and get back in the game for the day and wedding... I really didn't need this today.

That night I could not stop until I got the head off an could check for myself. So here were the results, I am def. not going to be able to make Corvettes on Bondurant now... Hopefully they will refund me
There are no marks on the other Cylinders, sorry I should have taken pictures of the rest for you sorry I will try do that before we leave today for our Honeymoon.

I tested everything before these went together and a ASE Certified Master Tech did the final install after checking everything over with me. I got the correct push rods for the head change and I have both moldings I put on the cylinders and then spun over to check for clearance still sitting on the bench. I took every precaution I could to make this perfect.
These are loaded heads from Texas Speed, I did not change anything all I did was install the LS3 Rockers, new GM Head Gaskets and New Push Rods to match the setup. The car ran for about 500 miles, made some track passes and tuning/dyno sessions with NicD. Then it just suddenly dropped the valve. Really not what I expected.

Link to heads:
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4010-pr...der-heads.aspx

Pictures:

Last edited by Cross; 11-13-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That sucks.

I'm interested in hearing what vender has to say.

Good Luck
Old 10-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Launching!

looks like valve hit piston and broke off, how is this the heads fault? what ptv measurement did you have when you installed?
Old 10-20-2013, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

If the valve had hit the piston it would have bent not broke off in the guide, fell in the motor then got shot back up into the head. (Not to mention where the valve hit the piston and that it only hit that piston not any others)

I think you might want to take a closer look at the pictures there AKAFred...
Old 10-20-2013, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

looks like the valve got hit, bent, then became stuck in guide, and then broke, which caused the head failure. fail to see how this is the head's fault
Old 10-20-2013, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DietCoke
looks like the valve got hit, bent, then became stuck in guide, and then broke, which caused the head failure. fail to see how this is the head's fault
Where do you see the bend?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What were your piston to valve measurements?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

I did mold castings and kept those. I will find the info
Old 10-20-2013, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im assuming you didnt opt for the hollow stem valves?
Old 10-21-2013, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tainted
Im assuming you didnt opt for the hollow stem valves?
Actually CPR bought these heads and then sold them to me, I am not sure if they were bought for another project that ended up not happening. But in regards to options no I do not think that option was chosen.

Alright guy's I will be gone Monday-Friday (Honeymoon Cruise) although I will be making phone calls when I can.

When I get back Friday I will let everyone know what has happened so far, I have John (The ASE Master Tech) staying behind to work on things while I am gone but I don't know what to expect yet.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Cross
Where do you see the bend?
It it wouldnt go through the valve guide (where it broke) the stem was bent. even a slight bend will cause it to bind.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DietCoke
It it wouldnt go through the valve guide (where it broke) the stem was bent. even a slight bend will cause it to bind.
Again both ends would show it plus the valve end itself would have bent from that form of forced contact as well as the damage to the piston being in a different spot.
Also all pistons and valves would show this not just one.
The car ran fine for about 400 miles then this happened. They're were track passes and dyno tuning during that time with no touching.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Guys those are not PRC 260cc heads. That is a stock casting & what looks to be a stock valve.

I also don't have any order for a CPR.

Instead of cussing about PRC & bashing without having any facts how about you guys give us a call with exactly what you have there so we can see whats going on.

I'm very sorry to see your having issues, tell whoever bought the heads to call us so we can

1. see if they're PRC heads

2. see what valves they are

3. see if we can find why you broke a valve off
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 10-21-2013, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Also keep in mind spinning a motor over to see if it clears isn't the correct way to check piston to valve clearance...

We build every set of heads for a custom build. I expect if they turn out to be our heads they could have been milled or setup differently compared to what combo you have.

This is a very important thing everyone needs to understand. When you dont check p/v & you buy used heads or something not spec'd for your combo bad things can happen.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Nice. Hope you didn't pay for the 260cc PRC castings when you got some CNC ported GM castings instead.

Good luck getting to the bottom of this.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

They say PRC all over them.
Joseph Cordes of Cordes Performance Racing (aka CPR) was the buyer and they were brand new just ordered.

There is no doubt they are PRC unless someone went to much trouble to copy all your logos on to them.

I have been waiting to hear from CPR but nothing yet.

Also we did not just spin over we used a solid lifter and molding to test and kept the results of both tests via the molding.

Last edited by Cross; 10-21-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are ported stock heads not the PRC 260cc heads.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-21-2013, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sales2@Texas-speed
They are ported stock heads not the PRC 260cc heads.
Dang it I'm trying to post the screen shot of the thread they were bought from but I can't on my phone and it's almost dead.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:14 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Cross
They say PRC all over them.
Joseph Cordes of Cordes Performance Racing (aka CPR) was the buyer and they were brand new just ordered.

There is no doubt they are PRC unless someone went to much trouble to copy all your logos on to them.

I have been waiting to hear from CPR but nothing yet.

Also we did not just spin over we used a solid lifter and molding to test and kept the results of both tests via the molding.
The PRC 260cc heads are an aftermarket 6-bolt casting, which is what is in the link you posted. What you actually have sounds like PRC ported GM castings.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only ported heads we sold to that company was months ago and they were milled .030. Also when you use a stainless valve you lose roughly .020 clearance vs the hollow stem. The ls3 head has about a .130 free drop stock. Depending on your cam, that doesnt leave alot of room left. I'm not blaming anyone, we just need more info before you can just say the heads failed.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: 408 Drops a Valve due to Rocker Issue, Great way to start a Wedding Day!