Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L92 converting to car accessories and LS3 intake, want to keep vvt

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 02:58 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default L92 converting to car accessories and LS3 intake, want to keep vvt

Hi,

I need to convert my L92 to car accessories and LS3 intake but I want to keep the vvt.

I heard that the only water pump I can use is the L99 one as it will clear the vvt cover. If I want to use a Camaro or Corvette water pump I need to use spacers. Is this correct?

If I use the L99 water pump do I also need to use a L99 harmonic balancer, the L99 power steering pump and the L99 alternator? Or could I use an LS1, LS2 or LS3 F-Body harmonic balancer, power steering pump and alternator?

I assume that an LS1/LS2/LS3 corvette harmonic balancer, alternator and power steering pump would not fit at all with the L99 water pump? But they would fit if I would use a corvette LS1/LS2/LS3 water pump with spacers?

Furthermore is it correct that I can not mix corvette and f-body front end accessories? It has to be all either from the F-body or Corvette?

Are LS1/LS2/LS3 accessories all interchangeable (within the same chassis (f-body or corvette))? Lets say an LS1 power steering pump, LS2 alternator, LS3 water pump and LS3 harmonic balancer, all from the F-Body? Would they fit together? Or would I need all the accessories from one type of engine (eg. everything from the F-Body LS3)?
Old 06-18-2015, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can find answers and lots of pictures in the conversion & Hybrids forum. There are three basic setups, corvette shortest (meaning the drive belt is the close to the block) next setup (f-body and others) is 3/4" out from the corvette, then the truck/vvt engines 1.5 inches out from the corvette.
The L99 has VVT so it would have the same spacing as your truck engine crank pulley. no spacers required.
The bracket that holds your accessories will need to be spaced out to line up your pulleys, meaning if you use the corvette accessories your would need to space the bracket off the head 1.5 inches, any others would need 3/4 spacer.
I have an 2009 LY6 6.0 VVT engine, I used a water pump and intake from 2010 Camaro W/Auto trans. I used the corvette C5/6 alternator/power steering bracket using 1.5" homemade spacer.
The closer you keep it to a standard GM set up the easier the tuning will be. Keeping VVT is a big decision, it limits your choices down the road, most tunners would rather not deal with it, gm supercharger spacing will not work with truck spacing. if this is just the start of your modifications you may want to dump vvt.
Attached Thumbnails L92 converting to car accessories and LS3 intake, want to keep vvt-dscf0945.jpg   L92 converting to car accessories and LS3 intake, want to keep vvt-dscf0956.jpg  
Old 06-19-2015, 02:52 AM
Teching In

I only convert to camaro or corvette front end accessories and LS3 intake to be able to close the hood. So the L92 truck and L99 harmonic balancer/crank pulley are the same or have the same depth? Could I then just install an L99 water pump, leave the truck power steering pump where it is with the stock mounting bracket and get a special bracket to relocate my truck alternator? Would this work? Then I would only need to get a L99 water pump and a special alternator relocation bracket.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes I believe you are correct on all points. Both the LS3 corvette and the YL6 have a one piece bracket that supports both the power steering and the alternator. I have seen pictures where they cut the truck bracket down to use the smaller alternator.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Looks like I only need to use the truck throttle body with the LS3 intake to clear a 2007+ truck water pump on my L92 (see here). As it is a 2008 engine I dont even need to get a new water pump then. Just the alternator relocation bracket to be able to clear the hood. Are the brackets from lsbrackets reasonably priced or are there cheaper ones available with the same quality?
Old 06-19-2015, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is your truck throttle body a 3-bolt?
Old 06-20-2015, 02:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Is your truck throttle body a 3-bolt?
No, it is a four bolt one.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Check out the Holley accessory brackets. They have spacers that will work with the various balancer set-ups and will mount the alternator up high on the driver's side like a Corvette mount.

http://documents.holley.com/199r10606rev7.pdf

Andrew
Old 08-10-2017, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Check out the Holley accessory brackets. They have spacers that will work with the various balancer set-ups and will mount the alternator up high on the driver's side like a Corvette mount.

http://documents.holley.com/199r10606rev7.pdf

Andrew
That's the path I'm on (for better or worse...). The Corvette setup will not clear the VVT timing cover though I need the clearance. It looks like the Gen 5 (LT1) timing cover is the answer. Luckily I have my C7 right next to the project and can see the difference. I'm still a little unsure about what other VVT hardware may be needed to make it work though.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

I believe the Gen IV and Gen V front covers are not interchangeable.

Andrew
Old 08-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I believe the Gen IV and Gen V front covers are not interchangeable.

Andrew
Hmmm. Any place that we can confirm the interchangeability? I've been looking all over the forum for a definitive answer but so far no answer found.

BTW, I'm not meaning to derail the current thread, Figured this was a possible path based on the initial questions. If there are issues, I can take this elsewhere..

Last edited by hdflstf; 08-11-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default VVT Operation

Hi NP & HD, I can help/provide the VVT "tech"

First state the EMS controller that will run the L92s ?

Worst case would be to fit my VVT "stand alone" controller with a cost of $200.00.

There are important changes for high RPM operation with VVT use that are easy to get correct the first time.

Example : Let the VVT motor Advance the camshaft ONLY with the use of Limiters for a HARD Retard STOP.

Lance

Quick Reply: L92 converting to car accessories and LS3 intake, want to keep vvt