Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla Cratemuffler for LS3

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Borla Cratemuffler for LS3

I am completing an engine swap project with a ls3 376/480 crate motor and I"m down to exhaust. I plan to have 2.5" piping with an x pipe and 200cel magnaflow metallic cats, but stuck on muffler type. Was leaning toward the 6" round Borla S-type, but read a bunch about drone.

Other muffler options are corsa, but those seem to be specific to configurations on stock type cars and they dont sell just mufflers, but I guess I could pick something up used. I do like the sound, but not sure if the anti drone properties will work if I cut the muffler off a c6 system and configure things differently from a stock c6 piping wise.

I came across the Borla LS3 crate mufflers, but can't really find any reviews on them. The other issue I may have with the LS3 cratemuffler is fit - I think the Ford 5.0 size would work better, however I"m not sure if it would have all the same sound attenuation/anti-drone properties advertised if used with an ls3.

Does anybody have any advice on this?

FYI the engine is in a porsche 996, so I dont have a bunch of room to run multiple resonators, etc.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

I have that same motor in my car. I have a borla in there, 3". I'm not sure which borla it is because I got it for $100 at a car show in 2003. If I had to guess I'd say it's the atak. It has a "y" at the muffler and optional baffles.

We also have one on the mustang. That one is the atak, and it drones pretty good at cruise. It has 2.5" pipes. The 3" one in my Camaro isn't too bad, honestly. I also have cutouts at the headers though, and a blockoff plate at the "y" so I have a "suppressed" mode, and a "murica mode" when I see a riced out honda or something. It literally rattles the gravel when they are open. It's a built 427 now though, so that adds to the noise of course.

I will say you won't be disappointed with the sound of that hot cam at idle. It sounds pretty mean. Good choice on engine for a car like that. Should haul some serious ***. If it were mine, I'd go borla, leave the baffle out and let that thing be heard. I ran mine like that for over 10 years.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Hey thanks for the reply.

Roger on the borla drone - which is why I was looking at the S-type crate muffler for the ls3 - supposed to knock out drone. Cant really seem to find anyone who has tried one.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a ls3 376/525 that I was running borla mufflers on and the drone was terrible. I took a chance and tried used pair of corsa sports from a mustang on ebay and the drone is about 90% gone. There is just a little around 2200 and the interior sound level is very quiet, but outside is a lot louder. The corsa has a good sound on the ls engine, the borla mufflers I tried sounded like glass packs.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by coby74
........ the borla mufflers I tried sounded like glass packs.
Because that is basically what they are, along with Magnaflow.....
Old 01-28-2018, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Thanks coby. I was also thinking about taking a punt on the used corsas. Size wise the boxy c6 corsa sport or extreme would fit, but I was worried if my exhaust path was different, the anti- drone effect may not work. I wonder how universal their mufflers are.

You remember which ones you got?
Old 01-29-2018, 04:17 PM
Teching In

#14311 sport 05-10 gt. I mounted them after the rear axle on a chevy c10. I later decided to try the gto corsa sport because the car used a ls engine and to completely get rid of the drone at 2200 but the gto corsa still has a silght drone at 2200 and are very heavy, the mustang corsa seem hollow and are very light. If I would have to do it over again I would just stay with the mustang corsa. The gto corsa sports have a little deeper idle and are a little quieter and at wot they both sound the same. Some times my brother mistakes the truck for our neighbors zo6. I think small resonators or cats would take care of it buy its not that bad.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:46 AM
Teching In

So the ford muffler worked just as well as the ls one? I guess the "tuned" thing could be exaggerated somewhat?
Old 02-04-2018, 09:36 AM
Teching In

I think so, corsa mufflers seem to take out the deep bass sound at all rpm.

Quick Reply: Borla Cratemuffler for LS3