Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

400rwhp/tq from LS6/LS2

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 01:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400rwhp/tq from LS6/LS2

I originally posted this in the wrong forum so here goes:

What bolt ons does it take to make 400rwhp/tq corrected with stock longblock and intake through an automatic trans with an LS6/LS2 based motor in an F-body or Vette?

Thanks
Old 07-08-2007, 02:45 AM
TECH Regular

Well, is it LS6 or LS2?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah your talkin apples and oranges...pick one
Old 07-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Teching In

With the same heads and almost the same cam I didn't think the extra few inches would matter that much, sorry. LS2 it is. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Well, there's a few important differences. The biggest being that you can get a lot bigger engine with the LS2 block by doing a 402. The LS6 can't do much.
Also, the valves are different. The LS6 valves are better than the LS2.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1rulz
Well, there's a few important differences. The biggest being that you can get a lot bigger engine with the LS2 block by doing a 402. The LS6 can't do much.
He said stock longblock.. with bolt-ons. Like I said in his other thread, he's not going to get 400rwhp and 400rwtq out of a stock LS2 longblock with just bolt-ons. That's the question he is asking.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Very good reading. And the answer is that since it won't happen at all, buy the one that he finds the most future advantages in. So I listed them. Do you want better valves for more revs, or the potential for more cubes in the future, as well as the benefit of them right now? Thanks, I understood just fine. Me no need clarificashun, techur. LOL!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Stock Long Block

Originally Posted by LS1rulz
You can make a 383 from a 347, that's big enough for 400 rwhp. Well the stock long block comment rules out strokers anyway. And as far as lightweight valves in the LS6 heads, how high are you going to rev the motor?

I would suggest a good set of heads and cam that is matched to the heads.

And a set of long tubes and a Fast 90 and your there. Try talking to the boys at Cartek. They make horepower with small cams and heads that are ported on site.

Bob K.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

If you're getting that picky, he can't be changing heads and cam either, since he DID say stock LONGblock.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys. More than anything I was curious to see if 400rwhp/tq could be done with just bolt-ons. Since it can't, what are typical numbers of a full bolt-on LS2?
Old 07-14-2007, 08:07 AM
10 Second Club

It can't -easily- be done with bolt-ons. With the LS2 you will pick up a lot with a ported FAST 90mm intake. On my GTO I picked up 15-20 rwhp with just a Magnaflow catback, no tune. I don't know about the Vettes, but the GTO's are pig rich from the factory, so there is more to gain there. Vettes also have nice aftermarket options for Over The Radiator (OTR) intakes that truly are Cold air intakes. So here is your list and I bet you can come real close to your goals:

1) Underdrive pulley
2) Ported FAST intake and ported Throttle Body with a CAI.
3) Headers -- 1 3/4" primaries will be best to meet your 400rwtq goal
4) Off road pipes, aka cat delete
5) Do your research on cat-back exhaust setups. DON'T select one based on sound clips. Select it based on dyno results. Talk to reputable speed shops and see what they recommend. Jeremy Formato recommended the Magnaflow for my GTO and I've had no regrets.
6) Light weight rims and tires. You can also check out light weight aftermarket brake rotors.
7) A good tune.
8) DO NOT mess with the torque converter. A good stall will gain you as much as half a second at the track, but you will take a big hit on the dyno.
9) Do yourself a favor and leave the car on the dyno overnight, so you have no heat soak and you have cool morning air for your pulls.

Finally, there are ways to "cheat" on the dyno. Get the smallest rim that will fit with the narrowest tire inflated to 60psi. Run a short belt (bypasses the P/S and/or A/C). Add some race gas -- the LS2 can run about 26 degrees of timing, but you pick up some knock between 5-6k and the higher octane will help that.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be hard to pull 400 with bolt ons alone . Might as well go the easy way buy some budget heads milled , a thin head gasket all to bump your compression . Heck even a small cam with that combo and you would be well off .