Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Weiand Street Warrior at SEMA

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007 | 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, I guess I'm just lazy and didn't go thru the whole thread. I'll look.
Old 12-07-2007 | 01:21 PM
JS
10 Second Club

As I see more info on this intake my mouth waters
I will wait til its dynoed but if it make as much power as a port fast they will sell a **** load of them especially if there under 600 bucks...
Old 12-08-2007 | 12:27 AM

I realize i am a new member/poster but have used this forum as a resource for some time. Regardless....

I looked at this intake in depth today at PRI. I have to say I am impressed. The Formula 1 inspired trumpets, the one piece (lightweight) Nylon 6 shell etc. As a street manifold it looks pretty impressive. The majority of the concers about other rmanifolds that are on the market appear to be not just taken into consideration, but really listened to and designed around. Two manifolds that cover the vast majority of the configurations out there (LS1/6 and LS2 and another for use with L92 heads) with the map sensor locations as well as both styles of fuel systems etc..... I am impressed by its weight (lack of it really).

I am not trying to stir the pot, however, this intake looks to be a hit for the majority of the street users that do not spend a great amount of time above 6500 rpm. (in all honesty I cannot blame them for wanting to go after the majority of the market - h/c/i cars, etc - to get some returns and market share before doing other versions.)

In reading this thread, I saw that there are some people saying that this won't work for theie LS7 heads. Wieand/Starr are working on one for the LS7 as well as an intakes for the trucks (and even a race manifold in the works).

Timing should still be March. Tooling work is finishing up for production to begin in January with transit time from Oz taking a typical 3 months.

I will be picking mine up in March!
Old 12-08-2007 | 03:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

At least 2" longer runners, sharp 90* bend after the trumpet, smaller cross-sectional area...

I don't know why Weiand/Holley are even considering it...

This has got everything a high spinner motor doesn't need - and the LS1 needs revs. Now if you have a stroker or big cubes and dont want to see more than 6500, then *maybe* but even then...

Check out Starr's statements at Sema. He said it himself, not good for more than 6200. Then again, the stock one makes good power till then. So...

Personally, I would like to see more R&D gone into spider intakes and carb styles for the LS1.
Old 12-08-2007 | 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MNR-0
At least 2" longer runners, sharp 90* bend after the trumpet, smaller cross-sectional area...

I don't know why Weiand/Holley are even considering it...

This has got everything a high spinner motor doesn't need - and the LS1 needs revs. Now if you have a stroker or big cubes and dont want to see more than 6500, then *maybe* but even then...

Check out Starr's statements at Sema. He said it himself, not good for more than 6200. Then again, the stock one makes good power till then. So...

Personally, I would like to see more R&D gone into spider intakes and carb styles for the LS1.
I feel the same way. I want power to peak higher than 6200-6300. I might have to build myself a sheet metal. I am building one for our formula SAE car, but this would be a whole different animal.
Old 12-08-2007 | 12:31 PM
JS
10 Second Club

I like the 6200 rpm for the simple fact that it makes all its power under the curve.My GTO will be a driver and this intake with a cam will work very well up to a shift point of 6400

If u wanna go higher then go spider or sheet metal
Old 12-08-2007 | 12:34 PM
Banned

As long as it makes better "under the curve" torque and power, who cares about revving an extra 2-300 RPM's lower, specially on the street........
Old 12-08-2007 | 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

exactly. its not like the power will just die off at 6200, its just optimized for that range. I mean it picks up like 31 ft lbs of torque in the midrange!

some of you guys that think you know so much should design your own manifolds.

A sheet metal intake will make no power until very high rpm cause of the plenum design. so car against car same mods other being the manifold, the sheet metal would get its *** kicked.
Old 12-08-2007 | 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

I agree I dont want to spin much over 6k at all on the street anyway. It sounds like it would work perfect for me and I like the way it looks.
Old 12-08-2007 | 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

I'd be interested to see how many people that actually dd their car rev over 6500 very often. I have a fairly large cam and shift at 6500 and I am assuming this intake will make more power there than the LS6 most currently have even at that engne speed.

I think you guys are missing the point. This is called the "STREET" warrior intake so I am assuming it is designed with the majority of LS1 owners in mind. I will take 20-30 hp and tq in the midrange and be happy with only 10 more peak over the LS6 for the price they are bringing it in at.
Old 12-08-2007 | 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am going to build a 418 cube ported l92's blah blah blah in the spring, and they are going to make an intake for l92's and for stock rails or the sort. so that means no injector harness adapter for me...

correct me if i am worng...
Old 12-08-2007 | 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by big reg
I'd be interested to see how many people that actually dd their car rev over 6500 very often.
I daily drive my 99 HOSS camaro and go over 6500 quite often, at least a few times daily weathering permitting, with my ported and cammed LS7 its just a matter of how you like to drive well I built mine to go and go hard and like to feel the fruits of my labor often
Old 12-08-2007 | 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
exactly. its not like the power will just die off at 6200, its just optimized for that range. I mean it picks up like 31 ft lbs of torque in the midrange!

A sheet metal intake will make no power until very high rpm cause of the plenum design. so car against car same mods other being the manifold, the sheet metal would get its *** kicked.
on the street that may be true but at the track the sheet metal would win...remember when you race you stay in the upper rpms which is where the sheetmetal intake shines
Old 12-08-2007 | 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Hopefully they sell lots of these to the 346/383 corwd, so they will be incented to come out with an improvement over the LS7 for us bigger cube, high rpm folks.

FAST are good - but have got fat, dumb and lazy being the only composite intake game in town for the last 6 years.

Competition is good - improves the breed on both sides.
Old 12-08-2007 | 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We do, even throttle bodies, thank you very much...

So car against car same mods other being the manifold, the sheet metal would get its *** kicked.
Stick to the streets then...
Old 12-08-2007 | 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
i am going to build a 418 cube ported l92's blah blah blah in the spring, and they are going to make an intake for l92's and for stock rails or the sort. so that means no injector harness adapter for me...

correct me if i am worng...
Both the LS1/6/2 and the L92 manifold will have provisions for both style fuel rails. At least thats what they told me....
Old 12-09-2007 | 02:22 AM
TECH Junkie

I saw the manifold as well today, maybe some different photos. The guy claimed that although the graphic was based upon the LS6 intake, they tested against the Fast and it made more across the board included top end. I forgot to clarify if they used the 78 or 90mm, though.

A popular LS1 head manufacturer at the show didn't think much of their design compared to the Fast 90.

Old 12-09-2007 | 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

nice pics and info
Old 12-09-2007 | 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MNR-0
Now if you have a stroker or big cubes and dont want to see more than 6500, then *maybe* but even then...
I hate to break it to you, Mr. I-know-how-to-design-these-things, but large cube engines require the same air at low rpms that small cube engines require at high RPM's. If you add cubes, you decrease the operating range of the intake.

So to say that it will do 6200 RPMs on an LS1 is to say that it will do less than that on an LS2. And even less than that on a 402 LS2.

I think it is absolutely correct that people spinning to 7000+ do not represent a large part of the market. But people running more cubes... well, there are more people doing that than people spinning over 7 grand.
Old 12-10-2007 | 02:08 AM
Flow Wizard

Guys,

There seems to be alot of confusion about this intake's intended purpose....

It is aimed squarely at low/mid RPM street performance.....not street racing or drag racing where sustained high RPM's would favor the larger and shorter runner design the FAST offers. The larger the engine the less effective it will be at high RPM and it will nose over even sooner.

This intake is a solid choice for those that want to place an emphasis on the driving portion of their powerband, but not optimized for those that want to place that emphasis on the higher RPM racing aspect of their power band (drag or racing from a roll).

Here is a copy of something I responded to on another forum, but the short of it is that assuming production pieces can generate similar results as the prototype, this new intake design will make sense for some and not for other's.

The manifold is a nice design and will enhance off idle to 5500 RPM's or so based on its runner length (very long) and cross section (which is conservative). Im sure the 15 HP is refenced in area under the curve gains, not peak. The FAST's larger plenum and shorter larger volume runners will make more peak power and alot more power past peak between say 6200-7000 assuming you have a combination to utilize those RPM's.

For a heavy car and a milder combination the new intake design should work great and give people other choices to consider, but just as the FAST wouldn't be ideal in every situation neither will this intake. Guys with more aggressive heads cam cars and strokers are going to want to probably keep the FAST at this point and potentially have it ported for even further gains.

I hope they build something similar with shorter fatter runners down the road as well.....there is no such thing as an intake design that can do it all (much like camshaft selection)....its always a give and take. Also, we have to wait and see how good an actual production piece is (the intake in the picture is a prototype) which also plays into the net results.

Lastly, there might be manufacturing issues that delay the release of this intake quite awhile so I wouldn't expect to see it early spring.

Either way when it is released I will certainly be up for doing some back to back testing and reporting the end results but this is not aimed at big peak numbers. It's an "area under the curve" intake best suited for improved SOTP feel under typical driving conditions (not a bad thing) and would be especially of interest to you guys due to the weight of the vehicle your engines are propelling. But a "FAST slayer" on a good heads cam car that can utilize more airflow and RPM it is not....

Regards,
Tony

Quick Reply: New Weiand Street Warrior at SEMA