Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Performance LS Engine Control Harness Video

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Performance LS Engine Control Harness Video

I found this video about the new GM Performance Parts stand alone harnesss.

It's on the Super Chevy Magazine site and was filmed at the PRI Show.

http://www.superchevy.com:80/multime...120/index.html

Robin
Old 01-22-2008, 03:25 AM
Launching!

nice video guy was kinda of a tool but a hell of kit for hybrid and late model installs.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:34 AM
On The Tree

Up until I bought a complete pullout, I was waiting for this product to be released. Local Pontiac dealer told me it just came out. MSRP was right around $1100, he said he could sell it for ~$950. Sorry, Painless.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice demo vid to show how easy it is to connect. I'm looking into picking up one. However I understand that the program cannot be modified. I hope that's not the case. It would be a waste other than installing a stock engine into say a street rod or something like that.

D.J.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by OneQuickCoupe
Nice demo vid to show how easy it is to connect. I'm looking into picking up one. However I understand that the program cannot be modified. I hope that's not the case. It would be a waste other than installing a stock engine into say a street rod or something like that.

D.J.
GM Performance Parts will not offer a way to modify the ECU. It is a CTS/V ECU so I think that you can use HP Tuners or EFI Live to make any changes. I have several configurations that I will be flogging on the dyno with this harness. I was concerned when I saw that post. Once I get one powered up I will verify that my HP Tuners works.

Robin
Old 01-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Robin, please keep us posted on the combinations you try this on and how they work out. I would be especially interested in an LQ4 (stroked of course)/L92/L76 combination with a mild cam.

Dee
Old 01-23-2008, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

OK, I have been corrected. The ECU "talks" to a Tech II like it's a CTS/V.

The ecu currently does not expect cats since it's for a crate engine.

So as of yet I don't know if anyone has downloaded and tuned this ecu.

But based on the past I am sure someone will figure it out.

It will not run on a currnet production vehicle.

Don't think that it will be a replacement for a OEM ecu.

Robin
Old 01-23-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will need to hold off on buying one then. If this can be tuned then we will have something to bridge the gap between running a carb and the high dollar$$$$$ aftermarket harness. Please keep us up to date on this. Thanks

D.J.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

WHERE CAN I BUY THIS HARNESS.. i need it i have a 6.2l l92 with l76 intake and a nick williams cable throtle. this is exactly what i am looking for thanks
Old 01-25-2008, 01:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by nycblazer
WHERE CAN I BUY THIS HARNESS.. i need it i have a 6.2l l92 with l76 intake and a nick williams cable throtle. this is exactly what i am looking for thanks
Call Brian at SDPC or Mike at Crate Motor Depot they should have it in stock.

Robin
Old 01-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nycblazer
Be very aware that the GMPP system only works as a drive by wire. For whatever reason, it will not work with a cable throttle body.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin L
GM Performance Parts will not offer a way to modify the ECU. It is a CTS/V ECU so I think that you can use HP Tuners or EFI Live to make any changes. I have several configurations that I will be flogging on the dyno with this harness. I was concerned when I saw that post. Once I get one powered up I will verify that my HP Tuners works.

Robin
Robin,

Thanks for the great information. Please let us know as soon as you find out if this ECU is truly "untuneble."

The other question is, if the ECU can't be tuned, will a regular production CTSV ECU plug into the harness?

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 01-27-2008, 04:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Wizard
Be very aware that the GMPP system only works as a drive by wire. For whatever reason, it will not work with a cable throttle body.
Not totally true. You might be able to trick the ECM with a different IAC setup.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

So if I had a 2005 CTS-V LS6 that is DBW would this run it with an OEM tune or must it be a 58x reluctor?

--JMarsa
Old 01-28-2008, 02:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Robin,

Thanks for the great information. Please let us know as soon as you find out if this ECU is truly "untuneble."

The other question is, if the ECU can't be tuned, will a regular production CTSV ECU plug into the harness?

Thanks!
Andrew

It "should" be tunable. I will confirm this myself when I get my hands on one.

The normal CTSV ECU will ot work with this harness. There are things relating to security systems that are not in this unit. Also this unit is intended for non catted applications. Street Rods or pre 79 cars using a crate engine.
This ECU cannot be used in a CTSV.

Robin
Old 01-28-2008, 02:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by jmarsa
So if I had a 2005 CTS-V LS6 that is DBW would this run it with an OEM tune or must it be a 58x reluctor?

--JMarsa
58x and no it will not run in a CTS V

Robin
Old 01-28-2008, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Robin, I should have been more clear, I meant for a CTS-V engine transplanted into a street rod.

--JMarsa
Old 01-28-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

It "should" be tunable. I will confirm this myself when I get my hands on one.

The normal CTSV ECU will ot work with this harness. There are things relating to security systems that are not in this unit. Also this unit is intended for non catted applications. Street Rods or pre 79 cars using a crate engine.
This ECU cannot be used in a CTSV.

Robin
Robin,

Thank you for the info. It would be a real shame if GM came out with this killer package and it turned out that it was not tunable. I mean after all, who runs stock stuff? At the very least, many will want to stick a cam in a crate LS3.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 01-28-2008, 05:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Robin,

Thank you for the info. It would be a real shame if GM came out with this killer package and it turned out that it was not tunable. I mean after all, who runs stock stuff? At the very least, many will want to stick a cam in a crate LS3.

Thanks,
Andrew
I agree 100%. However there are a lot of people who don't touch the crate engine. I know of a guy who tried to tune a ECU from a Street Rod type vendor. It turned out they didn't realize they had a locked ECU. He had to buy another ECU because they were not used to people wanting to re flash the ECU.
I am 99% sure this can be tuned or re flashed using the software such as HP Tuners and others. But I can't say so till I actually see it.

Trust me I am trying to get one in my hands asap.

Just a little longer.

Robin
Old 01-28-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree 100%. However there are a lot of people who don't touch the crate engine. I know of a guy who tried to tune a ECU from a Street Rod type vendor. It turned out they didn't realize they had a locked ECU. He had to buy another ECU because they were not used to people wanting to re flash the ECU.
I am 99% sure this can be tuned or re flashed using the software such as HP Tuners and others. But I can't say so till I actually see it.

Trust me I am trying to get one in my hands asap.

Just a little longer.

Robin
Thanks again for the great effort.

You and I actually met briefly a very long time ago. I think it was March of 2004. You were racing the Centerforce Mustang in the NMRA. I was working for Quarter Master at the time and we were sponsoring the event at National Trails.

Andrew

Quick Reply: GM Performance LS Engine Control Harness Video