Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 Carbon Fiber Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Any chance that you will have one of those available for standard cathedral heads?

Make one of those with an annular nitrous boss on it for a cathedral head and you have me sold.

If ya need a test car for a cathedral version, I have a 13.5 to 1 402 that makes good power to 7500 rpm now with a fast90 intake ( over 450 from 4800 to 7500 rpm) I'd love to see what that thing can do
Old 08-22-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Would this intake be ideal for a forced induction set-up?
Again, how much US $$$ is this going for?
Please keep us posted.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing looks awesome plain and simple!
Old 08-22-2008, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

I'll take 2!

One to install and one to use as a paper weight to stare at.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Banned

/boner
Old 08-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice work!
Old 08-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome!... Aussie made too!... (not that I'm biased )

Bolt on to L98?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

I opened this expecting something that would suck, but it look pretty damn impressive good job
Old 08-22-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, that is f*cking beautiful.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is ******* amazing! I'd love one for for L76/L92.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:18 AM
FormerVendor

Looks BEAUTIFULL..

But lets look at this from an honest perspective. You picked up 8rwhp, and lost power below 3000 rpms.

Not to mention the is carbon fiber a CnC work. Most guys on this site are bitching about spending 800 bucks for 20-30rwhp for a FAST intake.. And waiting over a year to save a couple hundred bucks for the mystery weiand intake.

From a manufacturing standpoint its not physically possible to keep these reasonable enough price wise, to justify the 8rwhp.

Other than the PURE bling factor.. Which I have to admit, it is the best lookig LS based manifold I have ever seen..

What are you going to do about the mold seperation right in the middle of the plenum??? It that just a cut away for viewing purposes? Cause that will split in 2 under ANY boost (just like the carbon fiber C5, over radiator charge tubes.) In a nitrous application, I dont know it will survive any better.. Mounting flanges around it with small ss nuts/bolts maybe?? Kinda like Beck, just a WHOLE lot cleaner looking..
Old 08-23-2008, 03:43 AM
11 Second Club

I changed my mind, but it looks nicee. these wouldnt work on 862 castings?
Old 08-23-2008, 04:13 AM
Launching!

Here are some of the Intake specs:

Plenum Volume ~8.5L
Runner Volume ~500ml
Runner Length ~200mm
Runner inlet area ~3050mm2
Runner outlet area ~2100mm2 (tapered to LS7 port within flange)
LS7 intake port area is ~2020mm2

The cathedral ports are hard to make on an intake such as this. It would also be hard to do it to fit under a Corvette hood (could be done for the Pontiac, Commodores and trucks). It may be something I will look at in the future, but at present will be focusing on the LS3/LS7 ports.

A few points:

1. This CF intake would be for people wanting something that will perform better than the stock manifold when they have increased the HP using all other methods; but dont want to step up to ITB and the inherent costs & tuning issues.

2. This is not for people who are struggling to pay the mortgage. Somewhere between $3000 - $4000.

3. The split line is there for assembly purposes. For fabrication, I use the same adhesives used by aviation with approx 10mm overlap. Testing has showed it is strong enough, but we need some longer duration data from a mule car.

4. I would not recommend these for forced induction due to the higher pressures and temperatures on a newly designed part. It was designed to withstand pressures of 15psi (on the outside - vacuum on inside). Maybe down the road a bit, I will make one with even higher temp. resins and more CF layers.

5. I dont see any problem for Nitrous applications.

6. The pictures are just a teaser. There is still a bit of work to do getting some numbers on modified LS7s that we can tune to the intake. Also need to perform durability testing to ensure they are robust enough.

I will try to post a video and dyno curve.

Jamie
Old 08-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by c5blkvette
Here are some of the Intake specs:

Plenum Volume ~8.5L
Runner Volume ~500ml
Runner Length ~200mm
Runner inlet area ~3050mm2
Runner outlet area ~2100mm2 (tapered to LS7 port within flange)
LS7 intake port area is ~2020mm2

The cathedral ports are hard to make on an intake such as this. It would also be hard to do it to fit under a Corvette hood (could be done for the Pontiac, Commodores and trucks). It may be something I will look at in the future, but at present will be focusing on the LS3/LS7 ports.

A few points:

1. This CF intake would be for people wanting something that will perform better than the stock manifold when they have increased the HP using all other methods; but dont want to step up to ITB and the inherent costs & tuning issues.

2. This is not for people who are struggling to pay the mortgage. Somewhere between $3000 - $4000.

3. The split line is there for assembly purposes. For fabrication, I use the same adhesives used by aviation with approx 10mm overlap. Testing has showed it is strong enough, but we need some longer duration data from a mule car.

4. I would not recommend these for forced induction due to the higher pressures and temperatures on a newly designed part. It was designed to withstand pressures of 15psi (on the outside - vacuum on inside). Maybe down the road a bit, I will make one with even higher temp. resins and more CF layers.

5. I dont see any problem for Nitrous applications.

6. The pictures are just a teaser. There is still a bit of work to do getting some numbers on modified LS7s that we can tune to the intake. Also need to perform durability testing to ensure they are robust enough.

I will try to post a video and dyno curve.

Jamie
That looks f%^ken hot. Let me know when you need a mule engine....i have in the final stages a 427 with 800+ in mind n/a...then 300 of gas!! should be a good test for you....if your in perth.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3 to 4 thousand for an intake manifold? Jesus Christ....
Good luck sellin that baby....
Old 08-23-2008, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol someone work out the typical $/hp ratio i usually see on here. this one should make me laugh.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think a better market for this would be for the ls3/l92/l76 market, because like you stated the ls7 intake is very efficient as is, plus with porting the ls7 intake flows extremely well. i would think if you were to make this in plastic, (eliminate the carbon fiber to make it more affordable to the masses) and for the ls3,l92 market, you will make a killing on this. but this is just my opinion
Old 08-23-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
i think a better market for this would be for the ls3/l92/l76 market, because like you stated the ls7 intake is very efficient as is, plus with porting the ls7 intake flows extremely well. i would think if you were to make this in plastic, (eliminate the carbon fiber to make it more affordable to the masses) and for the ls3,l92 market, you will make a killing on this. but this is just my opinion
I agree sir!
Old 08-23-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bummer, dude!
That price is definitely a deal-breaker.
I was hoping for $1500-$2000. I could justify spending that on the looks of the thing alone. Three g's is alot to spend on an intake that cant handle a forced induction set-up also. Maybe he meant 3000-4000 Austrailian bucks?
Old 08-23-2008, 07:41 PM
FormerVendor

Some guys on this board (me included), have 100-150K invested into their cars. Not that we're wealthy by ANY stretch of the imagination (actually its usually the opposite), but if you take this sport seriously, and dont look at it in the perspective of trying togain 100rwhp for 40 bucks, then 3000-4000 is MORE than acceptable. Especially when it comes down to winning or loosing.

I think with a few design changes, (ie..double edged flange around the perimiter, with removeable adhesive, SS Nuts/bolt, and 2-3 plenum braces, like the FAST and stock intakes run, possible burst panel provisions, and nitrous port provisions this would be a solid performer, and my company woulld be willing to purchase "In Bulk" IMMEDIATLY for the Corvette community.

But without some sort of physical restraint between the top and bottom, this manifold will crash and burn. This is PRECISELY why GM instatuted their plenum supports. They were getting too much plenum vibration under "stock" applications.

Provided we were able to see some real world mule testing on high hp NA, med-high boost F/I, and nitrous applications of course..

If you make these changes, we (meaning Total Performance) will contract with LME, to build 3 specific longblock LS7 motors, utilizing TSP LS7 heads, w/forged internals, and run them on a 3rd party engine dyno at QMP machining in Los Angeles, CA.

I will commit right now to this project, and fund all 3 motors AND testing, if you build the manifolds to those specs. Of course, I think before ANY modifications were made, there should be a meeting of the minds of the LS Based F/I tuners, on this application. IF the tuners can bring all of their ideas together, we might just have a winner here.

Although the F-body market will most likey not go for this type of manifold due to its cost, with the exception of the hardcore guys, Our company could sell these as fast as we could get them delivered to my Corvette community. If you need C5/C6 measurements,let me know. This can include cowl'd hoods if necessary.

I am NOT in any way bullshitting you. This is a product that is LONG overdue, and i am willing to put my companies resources into the project, provided this is a "Real Deal" application, with the ability to produce not only a manifold, but results...

PM me if necessary.

Jeff

Originally Posted by sschoeffler
3 to 4 thousand for an intake manifold? Jesus Christ....
Good luck sellin that baby....

Quick Reply: LS7 Carbon Fiber Intake Manifold