Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 Carbon Fiber Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff@TotalPerformanceEng
Some guys on this board (me included), have 100-150K invested into their cars. Not that we're wealthy by ANY stretch of the imagination (actually its usually the opposite), but if you take this sport seriously, and dont look at it in the perspective of trying togain 100rwhp for 40 bucks, then 3000-4000 is MORE than acceptable. Especially when it comes down to winning or loosing.

I think with a few design changes, (ie..double edged flange around the perimiter, with removeable adhesive, SS Nuts/bolt, and 2-3 plenum braces, like the FAST and stock intakes run, possible burst panel provisions, and nitrous port provisions this would be a solid performer, and my company woulld be willing to purchase "In Bulk" IMMEDIATLY for the Corvette community.

But without some sort of physical restraint between the top and bottom, this manifold will crash and burn. This is PRECISELY why GM instatuted their plenum supports. They were getting too much plenum vibration under "stock" applications.

Provided we were able to see some real world mule testing on high hp NA, med-high boost F/I, and nitrous applications of course..

If you make these changes, we (meaning Total Performance) will contract with LME, to build 3 specific longblock LS7 motors, utilizing TSP LS7 heads, w/forged internals, and run them on a 3rd party engine dyno at QMP machining in Los Angeles, CA.

I will commit right now to this project, and fund all 3 motors AND testing, if you build the manifolds to those specs. Of course, I think before ANY modifications were made, there should be a meeting of the minds of the LS Based F/I tuners, on this application. IF the tuners can bring all of their ideas together, we might just have a winner here.

Although the F-body market will most likey not go for this type of manifold due to its cost, with the exception of the hardcore guys, Our company could sell these as fast as we could get them delivered to my Corvette community. If you need C5/C6 measurements,let me know. This can include cowl'd hoods if necessary.

I am NOT in any way bullshitting you. This is a product that is LONG overdue, and i am willing to put my companies resources into the project, provided this is a "Real Deal" application, with the ability to produce not only a manifold, but results...

PM me if necessary.

Jeff

How many billet IR manifolds have you sold to all these high dollar customers????
Old 08-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the comments all.

This was never meant to compete with the high volume plastic intakes, and the reason the LS7 was first was primarily due to the target market (ie. Corvettes).

I am just showing my pet project that I am passionate about. Dont want to have to defend, but CF is not cheap. This is not a ricer CF hood that is made from fiberglass and then wrapped with 1 layer of CF to make it a "CF hood"; this is 7 layers moulded in steel moulds for high accuracy.

As everyone knows, you need to match intake-heads-cam. The intake was not designed for a stock LS7 and I will be totally honest with any numbers I show. Unfortunately, I have only had the opportunity to test on a stock LS7. Hopefully in about 6weeks I can access a cam-only LS7.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:40 PM
FormerVendor

I wont sell a billet IR manifold.. They are nothing but heatsinks, that cause your IAT's to exceed 130-140*+. Although they sure are good looking, they SUCK in the performance catagory. I know, I've got first hand experience in that...

A carbon IR intake would eliminate that issue..

Originally Posted by zipdog
How many billet IR manifolds have you sold to all these high dollar customers????
Old 08-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Video:

Old 08-23-2008, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

Wicked video
Old 08-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

I wont sell a billet IR manifold.. They are nothing but heatsinks, that cause your IAT's to exceed 130-140*+. Although they sure are good looking, they SUCK in the performance catagory. I know, I've got first hand experience in that...

A carbon IR intake would eliminate that issue..
I see, how hot do you the port in the head is?
Old 08-24-2008, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet even at the price which is reasonable for your target customer.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:11 AM
FormerVendor

I couldnt understand your question, but I assume you meant, How do I know how hot the IAT's inside the ports were...

We tapped the rear of the manifold with an IAT sensor. This way we got the most accurate temps. In city driving at night when the ambient temps were around 70*F, we were seeing in excess of 140*. At 100+mph, it came down to the low low 130's. I think the lowest we ever saw it was 128*.

Originally Posted by zipdog
I see, how hot do you the port in the head is?
Old 08-24-2008, 04:00 AM
Launching!

Some design shots:

Looking through the C6 Z06 hood (skin hidden) w/ top of intake taken off:

Cross-section down middle of C6 Z06 showing firewall (tight fit) and hood clearances:

Mockup on engine (custom CNC fuel rails):

Last edited by c5blkvette; 08-24-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn, that thing is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Thats a thing of beauty for sure, nice job man.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:14 AM
Launching!

Thanks all for your comments. Will let you know how it goes as soon as I test it on a modded engine.

The LS3 variant should be done in about 3-4weeks also.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:39 AM
Staging Lane

drop me a line id be glad to try on out on my l92 headed 427 down here in ballarat(vic),just pm for any details you need,only too happy to help.
cheers dave.

vn commodore,iron 427,10.5:1comp.236/246 come cam,l92 heads(std),1 7/8"custom headers,twin 3",flowmaster super44s,3300 stall,th400,3.70:1 9"diff,11.28@128mph(with old cam).full street trim(drive there/drive her home).
Old 08-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by c5blkvette
Some design shots:

Looking through the C6 Z06 hood (skin hidden) w/ top of intake taken off:

Cross-section down middle of C6 Z06 showing firewall (tight fit) and hood clearances:

Mockup on engine (custom CNC fuel rails):

Nice work James
Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 AM
FormerVendor

I couldnt understand your question, but I assume you meant, How do I know how hot the IAT's inside the ports were...

We tapped the rear of the manifold with an IAT sensor. This way we got the most accurate temps. In city driving at night when the ambient temps were around 70*F, we were seeing in excess of 140*. At 100+mph, it came down to the low low 130's. I think the lowest we ever saw it was 128*.
Jeff, a standard IAT sensor threaded into a metallic intake manifold will not give you accurate IAT temps. You need a RTD or a thermocouple inserted into the intake at least 2". Your IAT that is threaded into the manifold will pickup the intake runner temperatures more so than actual air temps within the intake. The engine will heat up the shell and that could very well be what you are reading. Incoming air flow that is moving will not be at the same temperature as the intake manifold skin.

By the way how is KB doing with the LS7 blower kits? Have you seen MTI's TVS blower for the Z06 that they just introduced?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you guys are giving him **** about the price but you should see the cost of "hard tooling" . A simple mold will set you back $15-20K . What you've made is awesome , I just think you need to spend more time developing your manifold design to achieve more power . I'll be doing something similar when my time arrives . I recently finished training on a brand new Hurco and I'm pretty excited .
Old 09-11-2008, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

wow... this is unreal! LEt us all know when you get this intake ready for some forced induction applications..
Old 09-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by c5blkvette
Thanks all for your comments. Will let you know how it goes as soon as I test it on a modded engine.

The LS3 variant should be done in about 3-4weeks also.
Can't wait to see the results on the modded engine.

The fact that you made 8 horsepower over the LS7 stock intake that appears to be nicely matched to the LS7 heads and cam is encouraging.

Hopefully your new intake will be better positioned to take advantage of the greater airflow requirements imposed by a bigger cam and/or head porting.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, that intake is a thing of beauty. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Quick Reply: LS7 Carbon Fiber Intake Manifold