Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weiand Street Warrior Intake Independent Engine Dyno Testing By Mast Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by macca33
Well, the results seem to mirror the claims, so we'll simply have to wait for them to be released and see how they compare to LS1/6 manifolds.

I find it amusing that people are still comparing them to a FAST - they are intended for different purposes and the advertising and sales spiel for the Weiand/Starr manifold NEVER said anything about a huge 6k+ rpm increase. They were designed for and are intended to give a good midrange boost for STREET cars. I cannot see too many people sitting at 6k+ all day long on the street. I can, however, see people taking advantage of the benefit of a manifold that will improve their car between 3-6000rpm.

I reckon these things are going to run out the door.

Cheers,

Macca
It isn't just the upper RPMs we want compared to the FAST intake...I want to see the whole curve to see just how much the FAST will lose to the Weiand down low. That is the data we are missing from this test, and it could potentially sway a lot of buyers to one side or the other. If the Weiand murders the FAST down low, thereby making more average power across the band (even with losing to the FAST up top), then FAST may not have many more customers. If the FAST is fairly close to the Weiand across the board and pulls away up top like it should, then the FAST is still the clear winner for more average power.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I am thinking that if it can make more then my fast in the 2000-6000 range, My Nova will get my fast from my T/A (6.0) and the T/A will get a Weiand . I have been thinking of dropping back to 3.73 gears any way since its more for cruising now then racing so it may help my but ometer replace what I loose without the 4.10's
Old 09-17-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
It isn't just the upper RPMs we want compared to the FAST intake...I want to see the whole curve to see just how much the FAST will lose to the Weiand down low. That is the data we are missing from this test, and it could potentially sway a lot of buyers to one side or the other. If the Weiand murders the FAST down low, thereby making more average power across the band (even with losing to the FAST up top), then FAST may not have many more customers. If the FAST is fairly close to the Weiand across the board and pulls away up top like it should, then the FAST is still the clear winner for more average power.

EXACTLY what he said ... and thats what I'm waiting to see average power curve and see which one has a more linear curve
Old 09-17-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you Mast Motorsports for posting the results. It was great to see results on a 427. It looks like I will get my L76 ported and call it done. The one thing that I don't need is a bunch more mid range torque. I was hoping for more power up top.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
I'm hoping the Warrior takes off...i like the one piece design...no gasket to leak and
they use a better material that will eliminate cracks.
Plus it already comes in black for those (like myself) that prefer it. The FAST intake (no, I'm not comparing the two intakes otherwise LOL) requires painting if you want black.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Ported FAST still looks like the way to go on an LS2 if you have the $$
Even for a 'bolt ons only' LS2 ya think?
The FAST works in that application for sure, that's been proven but I'm thinking that the Weiand might still excel in an LS2 with stock cam/springs/valvetrain and maybe stock gears as well.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

i agree, but....

come on people, you've all been browsing this site for a long time, used the products, have buddies that used the products, you all look at the charts in the dyno section....this intake is NOT going to yield that dramatic of a number down low or mid-range to sway buyers. 3 or 4 hp is NOT going to make any difference. that can be made up for by removing your back seats or shifting better or running lower tire pressure, etc.....IMHO this intake will just be a temporary remedy for the LS3/L92 crowd and a budget upgrade from a LS6 intake. FAST is still top dog...pending imminent tests of course.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
i agree, but....

come on people, you've all been browsing this site for a long time, used the products, have buddies that used the products, you all look at the charts in the dyno section....this intake is NOT going to yield that dramatic of a number down low or mid-range to sway buyers. 3 or 4 hp is NOT going to make any difference. that can be made up for by removing your back seats or shifting better or running lower tire pressure, etc.....IMHO this intake will just be a temporary remedy for the LS3/L92 crowd and a budget upgrade from a LS6 intake. FAST is still top dog...pending imminent tests of course.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

i agree, but....

possibly yes, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. I'm still a little up in the air all I can say is I can't wait to see the ported Fast92/92 up against the StreetWarrior/92... although another interest would be what does porting gain you on a streetwarrior?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:03 AM
On The Tree

i agree, but....

3 or 4 hp is NOT going to make any difference. that can be made up for by removing your back seats or shifting better or running lower tire pressure, etc.....IMHO this intake will just be a temporary remedy for the LS3/L92 crowd and a budget upgrade from a LS6 intake. FAST is still top dog...pending imminent tests of course.
What if a ported 92mm Street Warrior comes close to the FAST up top, along with considerably better power under the curve? It all depends on your application.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's great that it performs as advertised, and fills a "void?" in the market.
But, in all due respect to the manufacturer, there needs to be a manifold that competes ON PAR with the FAST if anyone ever wants the price of them to come down. The main reason the FAST is the price it is, IS THERE IS NO COMPETITION.
Additionally, the L92 guys need a manifold THAT MAKES MORE TOP END, not more midrange.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you..i want to see the total gain from the Warrior intake. If it's
supposed to make better power from low rpms and even better at mid-range
then i'll be getting one for sure. The only gains i've seen with the FAST was
high rpms. I could care less about a peaky rpm number. I want gains under the curve. That alone should have people rethinking about buying a FAST.
But it's not available yet so we'll see.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Amen to that!

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
...Additionally, the L92 guys need a manifold THAT MAKES MORE TOP END, not more midrange.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Guys-one thing that this new intake needs to do is to get the hell on the streets-

so much talk with so much delay-

Nick--
Old 09-18-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ballistic Jello
What if a ported 92mm Street Warrior comes close to the FAST up top, along with considerably better power under the curve? It all depends on your application.
The problem is not going to be corrected by porting. The runners are too damn long for top-end performance.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
It's great that it performs as advertised, and fills a "void?" in the market.
But, in all due respect to the manufacturer, there needs to be a manifold that competes ON PAR with the FAST if anyone ever wants the price of them to come down. The main reason the FAST is the price it is, IS THERE IS NO COMPETITION.
Additionally, the L92 guys need a manifold THAT MAKES MORE TOP END, not more midrange.
You have hit it on the head exactly in all of your posts. Most of the L92 guys like myself have more than enough midrange hp/tq, but my biggest complaint, and if you read all of the posts from other L92 headed guys is that the stock L92 intake can not sustain power over 6,000 rpms. Why are most of us on this site? For the most part we are all LSx enthusiasts that modify our cars and go out and race them. And for a lot of us we spin our motors well past 6,000 rpms whether we are drag racing or road racing. This new intake manifold will suit some guys who want more midrange in their daily driver/ mild setups, but I am having a hard time believing that the LS3/ L92 version is going to be a hot seller. Ill stick with the stocker myself, and wait to see what FAST will put out for us L92 guys.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by fastGBcamaro
You have hit it on the head exactly in all of your posts. Most of the L92 guys like myself have more than enough midrange hp/tq, but my biggest complaint, and if you read all of the posts from other L92 headed guys is that the stock L92 intake can not sustain power over 6,000 rpms. Why are most of us on this site? For the most part we are all LSx enthusiasts that modify our cars and go out and race them. And for a lot of us we spin our motors well past 6,000 rpms whether we are drag racing or road racing. This new intake manifold will suit some guys who want more midrange in their daily driver/ mild setups, but I am having a hard time believing that the LS3/ L92 version is going to be a hot seller. Ill stick with the stocker myself, and wait to see what FAST will put out for us L92 guys.
Thank god-

my 2 cents- i see this under the curve as a good point and i undertand it and it suits some people-

but last couple of months-this under the curve as been like a selling thing-

but each to their own-

Thanks

Nick--
Old 09-18-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

whats the rule for under the curve-lets average a good under the curve rpm-

so if its like 5-6 rpm-does that mean u guys have had enough? or just find the next gear or what?

what do u do after the curve?

Open to idea's

Thanks

Nick--
Old 09-18-2008, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

How would something like this work on a stock cubed LS1 H/C (231/237), stock TB on 150 shot? I normally shift at 6800 NA but only around 6200-6300 on the N20 so I may not notice a huge amount of decrease.

I agree that I want to see a comparison against an LS6 and FAST. They each have their place performance wise and on your wallet so it would be nice to compare the bunch when buying one.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Smile

the ls6 and the fast intake have been tested to death-not to sure between a ls6 vs the fast 92?

Thanks

Nick--

Quick Reply: Weiand Street Warrior Intake Independent Engine Dyno Testing By Mast Motorsports