Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weiand Street Warrior Intake Independent Engine Dyno Testing By Mast Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well its not like the Warrior intake falls on its face up top, it's just designed to bulster
mid-range power and to hold the power too the upper rpm range. It should benefit
most...but they need to start selling the damn things already...it's rediculous.
I like my stock manifold for my upcoming needs. The average gain thru the whole rpm
band doesn't justify me spend over $1,200 for a Fast 92/92. I can use the same money
to get top quality headers instead.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Even for a 'bolt ons only' LS2 ya think?
The FAST works in that application for sure, that's been proven but I'm thinking that the Weiand might still excel in an LS2 with stock cam/springs/valvetrain and maybe stock gears as well.
As part of a bolt-on package, I'd still take the FAST, especially a Tony Mamofied version. Looks like the midrange will be close and the top end will win out. The street warrior may be a better value, but the FAST ultimately makes power where it counts if you want to win races.
Besides, a lot of bolt-on cars suddenly make the jump to a cam when the owners get bored with their current performance. Up the shift point to 6800 with the cam and the FAST is the clear winner.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see the stock LS3 intake really falling off in this video ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VwDP...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vh1x...eature=related

Sure it may make less power at 7000rpm but it doesn't look like it's falling on its face at 6200rpm .
Old 09-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cws T/A
I don't see the stock LS3 intake really falling off in this video ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VwDP...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vh1x...eature=related

Sure it may make less power at 7000rpm but it doesn't look like it's falling on its face at 6200rpm .
That's on a 6.2L. That same manifold will be all done at 6000 on a 403 or larger.
On the 6.0L, I've had em pull all the way to 6800, and peak there. The bigger the motor, the sooner they peak.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

I personally cant justify the Fast intake cost plus the TB cost and what ever Tony
charges to port the Fast....all that money for a 20hp increase in the rpm range that
high up. Street cars spend 90% of their life between idle to maybe 4,000 rpm on a hard
take off, now for a all out street strip car thats designed to stay in the upper rpm range
then maybe i could see paying the price....now this is just my opinion since my car will
be only a street car since i'm not ready to cage it.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
I personally cant justify the Fast intake cost plus the TB cost and what ever Tony
charges to port the Fast....all that money for a 20hp increase in the rpm range that
high up. Street cars spend 90% of their life between idle to maybe 4,000 rpm on a hard
take off, now for a all out street strip car thats designed to stay in the upper rpm range
then maybe i could see paying the price....now this is just my opinion since my car will
be only a street car since i'm not ready to cage it.
.....so when you race on the street, you shift at 4000rpm?....and i ported my own FAST after reading up on it, gained 24rwhp peak and suffered NO LOSSES down low at all. it wasn't hard at all.

This Weiand intake is a pretty big disappointment...i've tried to refrain from saying that, but looking at it from every angle it's not THAT great of a part, and it is DEFINITELY not worth all the hype. why don't i like it? well....
-no power up top
-doesn't appear to be easy to port very well
-cheaper than a FAST, but not CHEAP

what do i like about it?
-LS3/L92 style flange...
-that's about it

if i were sitting on a built 4xxcid motor with badass CNC'd L92's and the perfect cam nobody has ever thought of, i would be waiting for Comp to come out with a LS3/L92 FAST intake. i would never consider running this Weiand manifold....and to call those runner "F1 style" is a travesty. as far as i can see, they have no features found on a F1 engine whatsoever. i hope somebody finds out you can port these somehow and they perform better than a box-stock FAST90, otherwise anyone that buys this manifold will have pissed away money that could have been spent elsewhere.

-rant over
Old 09-18-2008, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Well, to be honest, the only 'hype' we've seen is created on boards such as this (and others). The intake was shown at SEMA and Weiand/Starr made certain claims about it - that it would improve MID-range, 3k-6k rpm. We have had an independent test in Australia and an independent test over in the States, where those claims seem to be proven. Did Weiand/Starr ever say it was better than a FAST product for top-end; certainly not that I've read.

If people still want the gains that a FAST can provide, then good luck to them, if others want what Weiand /Starr say their manifold will do, then they now have an option that seems to provide that intended result.

As for FAST prices being reduced through competition, well Weiand/Starr are not responsible for that, FAST pricing is up to FAST to set. This mob is simply bringing out a product that will fit into a segment of the marketplace - if you don't like what it does, then don't buy it.

Cheers,

Macca
Old 09-18-2008, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
.....so when you race on the street, you shift at 4000rpm?....and i ported my own FAST after reading up on it, gained 24rwhp peak and suffered NO LOSSES down low at all. it wasn't hard at all.

This Weiand intake is a pretty big disappointment...i've tried to refrain from saying that, but looking at it from every angle it's not THAT great of a part, and it is DEFINITELY not worth all the hype. why don't i like it? well....
-no power up top
-doesn't appear to be easy to port very well
-cheaper than a FAST, but not CHEAP

what do i like about it?
-LS3/L92 style flange...
-that's about it

if i were sitting on a built 4xxcid motor with badass CNC'd L92's and the perfect cam nobody has ever thought of, i would be waiting for Comp to come out with a LS3/L92 FAST intake. i would never consider running this Weiand manifold....and to call those runner "F1 style" is a travesty. as far as i can see, they have no features found on a F1 engine whatsoever. i hope somebody finds out you can port these somehow and they perform better than a box-stock FAST90, otherwise anyone that buys this manifold will have pissed away money that could have been spent elsewhere.

-rant over

Racing on the street is a totally different story, plus i only street race once in awhile. And i've always used the stock intake and it pulled over 6,500 rpm
without feeling like the power was dropping off. But for normal driving, like i said in my earlier post, people spend more time between idle to 4,000 rpm.
So a manifold that doesn't do **** for me during a hard take off isn't worth it
for me...for others it might be but for my needs i can not justify the large
cost for the Fast, 92mm TB and to have the Fast ported. It's all about
the average overall gain that matters not just in the high rpms. There's one
thing i asked but never really got an answer....why doesn't the Fast show
only very little to no gain in FI setups. If the Fast is that much better i would
think no matter what setup is used the better intake should show gains.
Just food for thought.

I just read your post closer, you gained 24hp PEAK...who cares about peak power? The only people that are interested in peak numbers are guys that
dyno race. And at what rpm did you hit your peak of 24hp? And how much torque did you gain? And lastly what was your overall average gain when you
bolted on the Fast?
Old 09-18-2008, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by njc.corp
the ls6 and the fast intake have been tested to death-not to sure between a ls6 vs the fast 92?

Thanks

Nick--
Should have stated that I wanted to see all three compared against each other (Street Warrior, LS6, FAST (78). I was aware the other two have been tested before.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

1st off, i'm no dyno racer, don't put me in with that mob of window-licking ball swallowers (lots of them locally, i have 0 tolerance left)...i just like to know that my money was well spent by seeing the numbers. i felt the SOTP gains before i ever saw a dyno.

...and i don't have a pre-FAST graph to compare to. i just know the car made 393rwhp before (as i bought the car) and after the FAST with my porting, it made 417/383. i don't know how much torque it made beforehand either when i said i gained 24rwhp at peak, i was referring to my portwork being effective and not difficult to do, not that my intake is superior because Weiand didn't make it...

FAST's won't show too much gains/losses in FI cases because the air is forced in. it would take a drastically different style of intake, i.e. sheetmetal, to make a difference. in terms of airflow when not being forced in, a FAST is just a revised LS6, from what i understand....and FWIW i wouldn't use a FAST in a FI application, it's 3 pieces...i'd take a aluminum heat-sink intake over a FAST for a boosted motor.

average gains, mid-range, and all that are important, don't get me wrong...but how much good do they really do driving around town? yeah you might get off the line a little quicker, but that doesn't matter when you pull 2K more rpm's and the car falls on its face. just because you don't always need big power up top, doesn't mean you should do without it.

click the 452/395 link in my sig, i've got a graph up there from when i got tuned after the head install. notice it carries the torque from from ~4600-~5900rpm and 300ft.lbs.+ from 2700 up, and the HP doesn't start to fall off until almost 7K. that's not too bad for a NA 346 with not-so-topshelf parts, stock bottom end, and a 23x's cam. you will never convince me that the minuscule difference in low-end power a Weiand would have, would make the car more drivable or fun in any way. if i had the $600 to drop on that Weiand, i'd save 1 MORE PAYCHECK and buy the FAST. anyone could wait one more week to do that...at least i think anyway...

Racing on the street is a totally different story, plus i only street race once in awhile. And i've always used the stock intake and it pulled over 6,500 rpm
without feeling like the power was dropping off. But for normal driving, like i said in my earlier post, people spend more time between idle to 4,000 rpm.
So a manifold that doesn't do **** for me during a hard take off isn't worth it
for me...for others it might be but for my needs i can not justify the large
cost for the Fast, 92mm TB and to have the Fast ported. It's all about
the average overall gain that matters not just in the high rpms. There's one
thing i asked but never really got an answer....why doesn't the Fast show
only very little to no gain in FI setups. If the Fast is that much better i would
think no matter what setup is used the better intake should show gains.
Just food for thought.

I just read your post closer, you gained 24hp PEAK...who cares about peak power? The only people that are interested in peak numbers are guys that
dyno race. And at what rpm did you hit your peak of 24hp? And how much torque did you gain? And lastly what was your overall average gain when you
bolted on the Fast?
Old 09-18-2008, 08:24 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I know for a fact that I gained in the 2500-4000 area with my Vengeance ported FAST 90/90 combo as I had my VE table dialed in perfectly and when I added the Fast, I was lean in from 2500-6800 by a fair margine. Is that a dyno, no, but if it's getting more air in, and you need more fuel to maintain the same air:fuel ratio, then it's making more power.

My throttle response drastically improved, and midrange part throttle was far better than with the ls6 intake. That's proof enough for me and the reason why I asked how the Street warrior will stack up against a ported FAST, specifically because I do want more midrange torque, and if this new intake will deliver, then I'd consider picking up one, I'm just not convinced yet.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:29 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

And for more midrange torque, I plan on going with bigger cubes one day, after I finish the basement and put on a second 2+ car garage, but until then, I'll make do with what I got.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

what it all boils down to is this thing will sell like crazy to the L92/LS3 crowd, but i highly doubt their cathedral port model will be so hot....people who are going to dump several hundred dollars on an intake will save a little more and pick up a FAST.

my car, on the street, on drag radials, wouldn't completely hook until 3rd gear was halfway over with....i don't think those few extra ft.lbs. down low are going to be too beneficial...
Old 09-18-2008, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
1st off, i'm no dyno racer, don't put me in with that mob of window-licking ball swallowers (lots of them locally, i have 0 tolerance left)...i just like to know that my money was well spent by seeing the numbers. i felt the SOTP gains before i ever saw a dyno.

...and i don't have a pre-FAST graph to compare to. i just know the car made 393rwhp before (as i bought the car) and after the FAST with my porting, it made 417/383. i don't know how much torque it made beforehand either when i said i gained 24rwhp at peak, i was referring to my portwork being effective and not difficult to do, not that my intake is superior because Weiand didn't make it...

FAST's won't show too much gains/losses in FI cases because the air is forced in. it would take a drastically different style of intake, i.e. sheetmetal, to make a difference. in terms of airflow when not being forced in, a FAST is just a revised LS6, from what i understand....and FWIW i wouldn't use a FAST in a FI application, it's 3 pieces...i'd take a aluminum heat-sink intake over a FAST for a boosted motor.

average gains, mid-range, and all that are important, don't get me wrong...but how much good do they really do driving around town? yeah you might get off the line a little quicker, but that doesn't matter when you pull 2K more rpm's and the car falls on its face. just because you don't always need big power up top, doesn't mean you should do without it.

click the 452/395 link in my sig, i've got a graph up there from when i got tuned after the head install. notice it carries the torque from from ~4600-~5900rpm and 300ft.lbs.+ from 2700 up, and the HP doesn't start to fall off until almost 7K. that's not too bad for a NA 346 with not-so-topshelf parts, stock bottom end, and a 23x's cam. you will never convince me that the minuscule difference in low-end power a Weiand would have, would make the car more drivable or fun in any way. if i had the $600 to drop on that Weiand, i'd save 1 MORE PAYCHECK and buy the FAST. anyone could wait one more week to do that...at least i think anyway...

Thanks for the info. And i see your point about the Fast....and i got a huge laugh about the comment " window licking ball swallowers" LOL that was cool
I apologize for lumping you in that group. But you do make good points and offer good info. to backup your mods. I'm with you about the Warrior intake, only time will tell if its worth the hype.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Well, I know for a fact that I gained in the 2500-4000 area with my Vengeance ported FAST 90/90 combo as I had my VE table dialed in perfectly and when I added the Fast, I was lean in from 2500-6800 by a fair margine. Is that a dyno, no, but if it's getting more air in, and you need more fuel to maintain the same air:fuel ratio, then it's making more power.

My throttle response drastically improved, and midrange part throttle was far better than with the ls6 intake. That's proof enough for me and the reason why I asked how the Street warrior will stack up against a ported FAST, specifically because I do want more midrange torque, and if this new intake will deliver, then I'd consider picking up one, I'm just not convinced yet.
Hey Bri it's Dennis...it looks like you are still running the JPR heads correct? And i agree
with you about you having to retune for more fuel since the Fast makes more
airflow....You know how i like stage 1 or small runner heads and smaller cams so in your honest opinion do you think i would be happy with the Fast 92/92?
By any chance you in the market for a never used F-body D1SC tuner kit and
GTP LQ9 heads? Do you remember Tommy? He worked at Mall Chevy...well anyway him and i are gonna put our heads together to come up with a h/c setup. But i'm getting the feeling he's gonna want me to install the Procharger.lol Take care buddy.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:01 AM
Launching!

This intake needs to be installed on some cars before we can really make a judgement on it. I would like to see it tested on a stocker and not a car with bolt on's or mods. Too many different things come in to play when tested on a slighly modded car. Plus the only fair way to run a comparison with other intakes would be to use the same car as a base line and then try the Weiand , Typhoon & FAST. Most likely the FAST will shine when it comes to HP above 6500 RPMs . I am more concerned about low to mid range HP and Torque
Old 09-19-2008, 08:28 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by JJD49
This intake needs to be installed on some cars before we can really make a judgement on it. I would like to see it tested on a stocker and not a car with bolt on's or mods. Too many different things come in to play when tested on a slighly modded car. Plus the only fair way to run a comparison with other intakes would be to use the same car as a base line and then try the Weiand , Typhoon & FAST. Most likely the FAST will shine when it comes to HP above 6500 RPMs . I am more concerned about low to mid range HP and Torque

I agreee, it needs to be placed on several cars to get an average. I like that Mast Motorsports was able to do a test, but who's to say that the intake they got directly from Weiand wasn't a ringer???

Plus look at how all the threads about gains from the FAST, some say they gain nothing, while other's are picking up 10-15ft/lbs in the midrange and another 25hp up top. There's just too much variability, so to see a manufacturer supplied intake for the dyno testing is not enough proof for me. Get it in the hands of some consumers and lets see some real world results.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:36 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ONLY way to tell if u gained is hp/tq is on the dyno
Seat of the pants dyno's are poo...
Old 09-19-2008, 01:02 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by JS
The ONLY way to tell if u gained is hp/tq is on the dyno
Seat of the pants dyno's are poo...
Absolutely agree that subjective tests such as the "***-o-meter" are useless, but actual data showing a lean condition on a VE table that was otherwise spot on perfect, actually slightly rich prior to adding the intake is the data proof for me that my '***-o-meter' wasn't miscalibrated. Also I think throttle response and ease of driving isn't something that can be measured on a dyno.

Proof: Take an m6 and add 3.73s or 4.10s and get rid of the 3.42 gears. The dyno actually shows a loss of horsepower, but drivability is gained considerably, some may argue it's the best mod for street driven M6's.

So if my HPtuner data log can colaborate what my butt and foot are experiencing, then I'm a happy camper, but if this Weiand can actually prove to be a better midrange intake over my ported FAST, then I'll sell the FAST and pick up this Weiand.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

I just read your post closer, you gained 24hp PEAK...who cares about peak power?
Thats about a fender.

Quick Reply: Weiand Street Warrior Intake Independent Engine Dyno Testing By Mast Motorsports