Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Anyone info on the new GMPP LSX-DR heads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSpd
I spoke to the head GM engineer/designer of the LSx program for about 45 minutes at the SEMA show...we went over alot of things that he asked me to not repeat on the internet regarding the details of their LSx parts in development...but i do have some details on the DR heads I can repeat
You can't just post such a comment and not spill the beans.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

DR = Drag Race... not streetable.... i didn't see any of the info saying they were meant for street use. Select heads based on driveability for the street(IE your application), if you want big power, get a blower or n2o.

Just because they are new, doesn't mean they are better for you!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
Whats a BBC LS6 head?
?
the LS6 was originally the RPO code for the 450hp 454ci big block in the 1970 Chevelle SS and El Caminos and such
Old 11-10-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by njc.corp
if what u are saying is true-i dont think anyone would dare run them on the street-

but as always their will be one nutter--
I'm that Nutter The new 482 and 500ci shortblocks hitting the market could use the CFM these heads produce.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Not sure what this "overkill" is you guys talk about for a streetcar...

Old 11-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tweaked Zed
Not sure what this "overkill" is you guys talk about for a streetcar...

Its not.

I'm a little lost on that one too. Its pretty ridiculous to think that LS7 heads and All-Pro heads are capable of offering enough air for a 427ci-454ci engine. We need better flowing heads to make more and more power from these sized engines, the LS7/All-Pro stuff isn't near whats needed to feed big cube engines to their max potential.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Street car

Hahahaha, it's all realitive. To some a car that gets less than 10 MPG and isn't a stock shortbock doesn't qualify as a street car. I know guys who drive 700 Horsepower cars to and from work when the weather is nice.

It's the guys who only have one car, and want it to make 800 RWHP, get 28 MPG and idle like a new caddy that are out of touch.
Really things have changed so much in the last 20 years most of the young guys are spoiled.
You really can't use much more than 500 Horsepower on the street anyway.

These heads whie designed as higher horsepower larger cubic inch LSX combinations. Really by the time you buy the custom valves and the shaft rockers they are going to be a little out of reach for a street car. There is nothing stopping you from running them if that is what works for you.

Robin
Old 11-11-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin L
Hahahaha, it's all realitive. To some a car that gets less than 10 MPG and isn't a stock shortbock doesn't qualify as a street car. I know guys who drive 700 Horsepower cars to and from work when the weather is nice.

It's the guys who only have one car, and want it to make 800 RWHP, get 28 MPG and idle like a new caddy that are out of touch.
Really things have changed so much in the last 20 years most of the young guys are spoiled.

These heads whie designed as higher horsepower larger cubic inch LSX combinations. Really by the time you buy the custom valves and the shaft rockers they are going to be a little out of reach for a street car. There is nothing stopping you from running them if that is what works for you.

Robin
I think we'll see these new heads on a lot of "street" applications. Pricing really won't matter much, as there are tons of guys out there who are running All-Pro heads on their motors, and those things are not a cheap hunk of metal.

It will be interesting to see how all these new motor combinations work, but i'm sure it'll be several years before we really start to see some huge power numbers out of street applications as cam settings get dialed in.

I'm just curious to see if all of this actually will come to light, given GM current huge loses, and if they file Chapter 11, might as well say bye bye to all the hype.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Banned

Robin
True, it does boil down to "what is" a street car to each person. The local car show here every Friday night has a minimum of 20 BBC cars with giant blowers on them you can here coming a mile away, cruising around all over the place, then the next lane of cars are twin turbo V8's with 1,000+ RWHP set-ups with full interiors and A/C. I don't think anyone really puts a car in a street class because of bad gas mileage.

500 RWHP is not all the limit for a street car, again, it all has to do with the person driving it. My daily driver, 490 RWHP, is just about the most boring car in the world, but I've had it for years now. Tell the dozens of guys around here with 1,000+ RWHP cars that drive their cars every day and like to roll race that 500 is a limit. They will laugh. But roll racing requires big hp. From a dig on the street, 1,000+ RWHP is useless. Not from a roll.

The LSX-DR heads will be all over the streets soon enough. If they build it, they will come and they will use it on the street for daily drivers.

Last edited by LS6427; 11-11-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

okay maybe i said it wrong

if it were me buying these heads-and getting the specail stuff made-i would want to race it flat out on the track-

like robin said- anything over 500-600 is just out of this world for me on the street-lets not kid our selfs-u cant lay that **** down

we said we can but if we could why do we race in a roll on fashion????

sounds great ripping the tyres but lets face it its not the name of game-

while others might be different- so thats the way i feel about this head-

these ls7 heads wether its allpro or the et stuff are more then enough for me to make good power-
Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Banned

any more info on these heads...like when will they be available?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Of all the things that we are waiting for I hear that we are getting close on these.

I heard that there might be some test castings floating around in several weeks. will see what I can find out.

Robin
Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great news!

Kurt
Of all the things that we are waiting for I hear that we are getting close on these.

I heard that there might be some test castings floating around in several weeks. will see what I can find out.

Robin
Old 01-15-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

I doubt you will be seeing alot of these on the street. For most people this head is going to be waay to much...the machining for seats and guide work then cnc work and blending etc etc...is not going to be cheap for these heads..when all said and done is going to be 10k or so complete with rockers...wild guess who knows. Isnt a C5R head roughly 1800 a piece just for bare castings?

I take it there will be castings with small ports and chambers for a head porter? Looks similar to the Glidden Victor 2 heads I mess with
Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess would be they are going to try and price these rather competitively or at least I hope they will. The pictures released to the public appear to already be ported. I'm not sure if they are going to show up that way or not?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UGotBeaT
I doubt you will be seeing alot of these on the street. For most people this head is going to be waay to much...the machining for seats and guide work then cnc work and blending etc etc...is not going to be cheap for these heads..when all said and done is going to be 10k or so complete with rockers...wild guess who knows. Isnt a C5R head roughly 1800 a piece just for bare castings?

I take it there will be castings with small ports and chambers for a head porter? Looks similar to the Glidden Victor 2 heads I mess with
I sure hope your wrong about that price guess, or I've been wasting my time waiting. But I;m almost certain you are. I have a contact that speaks regularly with the GM team. Its a builder/friend of mine who talks to the GM people regularly. He doesn't tell me their names because he knows I post on forums but I guess I understand that.

Aren't C5R heads old news anyways? There's much better flowing heads then those. Don't ported LS7's crush them?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
My guess would be they are going to try and price these rather competitively or at least I hope they will. The pictures released to the public appear to already be ported. I'm not sure if they are going to show up that way or not?
Do you have part #s for those heads?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:26 PM
9 Second Club

I Got the new 2009 Gm Parts Catalog today. The part # is 19166979.
Description
LSX-DR CYL HEAD
356-t6 alum. racing head
LSX-DR rectangle intake port (requires LSX-DR manifold)
LSX-DR spread port exhaust port pattern
Cast-in down-nozzle bosses
Designed for upto 2.28" intake and 1.62" exhaust valves
(4.165" min Bore)
Fully CNC ported
Machined for 1.66" valve springs
11 deg. valve angle
Min Bore is 4.125"
313cc CNC'd intake port
116cc CNC'd exhaust port
50cc CNC'd combustion chambers
Capable of over 900 hp NA!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:29 PM
9 Second Club

They also make the same head for circle track, with a little different specs.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

The C5R is still one of the heads to use as far as naturally aspirated racing with ls motors, but then theres the ET canted valve head and then the new edelbrock LSR head. Throw the flow numbers out the window when it comes to cylinder heads like these. I believe the school is running the C5R in there camaro and ran what a 8.75? Not sure what honeycutt is running for heads. Dont see any LS7 heads doing that..that ive seen anyways (not saying theyre bad)

Back on topic, you'd still have to get custom valves. Im guessing its going to need a 6.250 oal valve roughly which are around 90-100 a piece (thats a shelf titanium valve). Either way im guessing 7-10k for depending on what parts being used and how much castings are? Maybe robin can give us some insight on that. Would also like to know if there will be some bare port castings..

Quick Reply: Anyone info on the new GMPP LSX-DR heads?