Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

lead time on engine builds

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:17 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lead time on engine builds

Looking for experiences from anyone that has ordered an engine and had to wait beyond what was quoted when ordered. I ordered and paid 3/4 of the total and was told five weeks. It's now week ten and still no call from the builder. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JBM
Looking for experiences from anyone that has ordered an engine and had to wait beyond what was quoted when ordered. I ordered and paid 3/4 of the total and was told five weeks. It's now week ten and still no call from the builder. Thanks.
Who is the builder? Everyone has the right to know if thats how they are treating you, sponsor or not. And it might just cause your build to be finished quickly.

Also depends on what they told you up front, considering expected parts availability for your needs.

In the past, meaning over the past 15 years of me buying engines from different builders, I have waited longer than the agreed upon amount of time almost every time. But nothing really crazy, maybe just 2-3 extra weeks. But I always expected that. When someone is building an engine for you, you don't want that rushed.

The one time that it went just too far, I drove the 2 hours to the shop and walked in and took my engine/heads from them after 1 month of phone calls with no return call. I laid down a 1/3 deposit in the beginning for the assembly and parts, 4 months earlier. I left with my block and heads, PLUS a crank and rods that were all just sitting in my friggin original crate The block and heads were mine, the crank and rods that I left with were not paid for, but I figured the 4 months of crap and the deposit covered it, they owed me those free parts, so I kept them and didn't return their calls for about a month about the crank and rods. They never called again and I had someone else finish the build.

****Do what I did, go to the builder and take what is yours, and demand a check for the money you already paid for a deposit, period. Don't be one of those people who do nothing.****

And as far as giving deposits up front to builders....what do they really need? How about billing a customer every week for labor hours and getting paid the next week, whats wrong with that. The parts obviously have to be paid for up front. 50% up front is just hilarious.

Its all about how much **** you're willing to put up with.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JBM
I've ordered shortblocks from two sponsors on here and both were delivered earlier than promised and neither required that large of a deposit. The best thing to do at this point is call them (or stop by if they're local) for an update and an exact finish date. There's no reason they can't call you with updates, but sometimes you have to take the initiative. Like the saying goes.. out of sight, out of mind.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

i'm not going to say anything slanderous about my builder, because they're one of the best, and there are also extenuating circumstances.....but i sent my block off and it was received July 7th or 8th, IIRC, and i still have nothing. i paid in FULL up front, less the cost of head gaskets and return shipping, which i will pay when i get a price.

am i upset? yes, but like i said, my case is a little special (weather related). it's been almost 4 months, but the racing/cruising/joyriding season is over, so i've lost my anxiety and have coped with the fact that i'll get it when i get it.

If i were to do it again, i would have the construction put under way at LEAST 2-3 months before i needed it done. Weather, other customers with bigger pockets, professional teams (usually advertising for the shop, or sponsored in some way), backordered parts, highly custom parts, and a few other things can GREATLY affect the amount of time it takes a shop to finish your motor.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started my motor build in january 07
Old 10-29-2008, 05:55 AM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

Not realistic to drive there. Im sure that shoot out cars and such took priority over my build. The tough thing is I dont want to buy a 12k short block from a place that either rushed it, or finished it thinking the customer was a real a-hole. Either way, it may not be as good as it should be. Ill call one more time. In a few more weeks, I'll dispute the credit card charges and have one done locally if nothing has changed.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Best thing to do is call them or email them and find out a status. Like 2000 SS said there can be extenuating circumstances to a situation that was not for-seen. I would not worry about retribution such as a an engine being built poorly the builder will aways want to maintain their reputation for quality. Just don't be disrespectful when you talk to them and all should be fine. You do have a right to know whats up. A very busy shop is just that a very busy shop. I would not think it was an out of site out of mind situation but I don't know who you used. Also was it a complex build? Special order parts take a while. Best thing to do is communicate and not let your imagination get the best of you.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JBM

Demand money in return. When a business agrees to have a project done for a specified price within a specified timeframe and they are late they need to pay the penalty.

I personally would never do an engine build without having a thorough contract done on it first with the builder. Engine builds almost always run over schedule due to part backorders and shops being busy. Thats still no excuse to run over a stated schedule.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
Demand money in return.
That's terrible advice. Just call them and ask for a realistic ETA. Like stated by someone else above, don't go in being a hardass about it or they will not be inclined to help. There are circumstances that leave builders at the mercy of others (manufacturer's delays, custom build parts, etc).

The best thing you can do is call the builder, let them know you're disappointed and frustrated. Good communication is key.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
That's terrible advice. Just call them and ask for a realistic ETA. Like stated by someone else above, don't go in being a hardass about it or they will not be inclined to help. There are circumstances that leave builders at the mercy of others (manufacturer's delays, custom build parts, etc).

The best thing you can do is call the builder, let them know you're disappointed and frustrated. Good communication is key.
I disagree. If the builder gave him a price and date and he didnt meet that date then the price should be reduced accrodingly. Whether or not there was parts problems is not the customers problem if the builder gave a date. The builder gave him an ETA of five weeks and its way over that already.

If I give a customer a timeline to install a network in their office and I run a month over schedule there is no way I can charge the quoted price because I didnt make my end of the deal. I actually have insurance that covers problems like this because customers wont pay and rightfully so if I cant perform the service to the agreed upon specifications and timeline.

The auto business amazes me because it seems like the industry finds it acceptable to run over schedule on projects with no reprecussions. If they cant get the job done in five weeks then dont quote five weeks.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Banned

Not many companies have the luxury of having a shelf full of custom built engines.
This is hot rodding. Things take time. Vendors wait on parts, just like consumers. Almost everything takes longer than expected.
Speaking just about ourselves, we continuously streamline or procedures and processes to try and meet or beat deadlines. Sometimes that works out, other times not.
Stay in communication with your builder. Ask for updates. If there are delays, simply ask why. If they are legit, they will tell you why, and keep the lines of communication flowing.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brad8266
I disagree. If the builder gave him a time and date and he didnt meet that date then the price should be reduced accrodingly. Whether or not there was parts problems is not the customers problem if the builder gave a date. The builder gave him an ETA of five weeks and its way over that already.

If I give a customer a timeline to install a network in their office and I run a month over schedule there is no way I can charge the quoted price because I didnt make my end of the deal. I actually have insurance that covers problems like this because customers wont pay and rightfully so if I cant perform the service to the agreed upon specifications and timeline.

The auto business amazes me because it seems like the industry finds it acceptable to run over schedule on projects with no reprecussions.
You are in IT. Not Performance Automotive. Do you have any clue the profit margin in this biz? So the builder is going to drop his price, further reducing his already slim profit margin, possibly to the point of making NO PROFIT?
You may have to lower your price on an IT install, but do you work for free?
There is no insurance to cover engine builds that run over schedule. If there was, we would all have it.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Not many companies have the luxury of having a shelf full of custom built engines.
This is hot rodding. Things take time. Vendors wait on parts, just like consumers. Almost everything takes longer than expected.
Speaking just about ourselves, we continuously streamline or procedures and processes to try and meet or beat deadlines. Sometimes that works out, other times not.
Stay in communication with your builder. Ask for updates. If there are delays, simply ask why. If they are legit, they will tell you why, and keep the lines of communication flowing.
None of that is an excuse to run overschedule. I have trouble sometimes getting computer parts sometimes but I dont tell someone I will have their computer fixed in 1 week and then wind up not getting it done for 3 weeks because the motherboard was on backorder and try to charge them full price. Thers another shop around here that cant get **** done on schedule and his customers arent staying. If that situation did happen I would lower the price and hopefully still keep that customer as a future customer. Thats why my customers always come back, I guarantee my timelines and if i cant make it the price is reduced accordingly.

Last edited by brad8266; 10-29-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
You are in IT. Not Performance Automotive. Do you have any clue the profit margin in this biz? So the builder is going to drop his price, further reducing his already slim profit margin, possibly to the point of making NO PROFIT?
You may have to lower your price on an IT install, but do you work for free?
There is no insurance to cover engine builds that run over schedule. If there was, we would all have it.
Profit margins are irrelevant. Of course I dont work for free although there have been a few rare times where I had to do some free work. Work should be done on schedule. Maybe some builders should just give out more realistic timelines since we all know many builds run over schedule. If the builder just started out with saying 2 months the customer would already have been informed and wouldnt be upset.

The real nail in the coffin is that the builder hasnt even called the customer to give them a status.

Im not going have a pissing contest over this, we just have a difference in how to run things.

Last edited by brad8266; 10-29-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Brad your advise to canel the order without even talking to the builder is what is rubbing people the wrong way. Its not good advise. The first step is communication and you should be advocating that.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Brad your advise to canel the order without even talking to the builder is what is rubbing people the wrong way. Its not good advise. The first step is communication and you should be advocating that.

What are you talking about I never said to cancel the order at all? I said to demand money in return for the overschedule work, not all of it but part of it.

Communication is the first step and the builder should have initiated that communication when the project was running over quoted time which according to the OP didn't happen. The customer shouldnt have to call the builder when the project is not done on time, the builder should have called to give him a heads up on whats going on.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Communication could have solved all of this. As an engine builder, things seldom go according to plan during a build like JBM is doing. If the builder ran into a problem or a delay in parts delivery, there should have been communication as to the issue. When communication breaks down, emotion instead of logic prevails. JB, keep trying to call and try to be patient. I know what you are building and these builds always take more time than a normal street build. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JBM
Not realistic to drive there. Im sure that shoot out cars and such took priority over my build. The tough thing is I dont want to buy a 12k short block from a place that either rushed it, or finished it thinking the customer was a real a-hole. Either way, it may not be as good as it should be. Ill call one more time. In a few more weeks, I'll dispute the credit card charges and have one done locally if nothing has changed.
On a side note, that is pretty much BS that you're not getting at least your phone calls either answered or returned.
As stated before, there's always extenuating circumstances in this biz, but they should be keeping you informed.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I brought my unassembled short block to a local shop to get it balanced and assembled. They told me 1 week. Well next week became next week and next week. Im now at almost a month and a half. I think all shops quote for the best possible time and work from there.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Veteran

I wouldn't dispute the charge right away but I also wouldn't wait a few weeks without even a return call. I would say try to contact them everyday for a week. If you don't receive any return calls leave them a message or send an email saying if you don't get a return call in the next week you will have to dispute the charge.

I understand things take longer than expected but to have no communication is unacceptable. I have worked in the performance industry in the past so I understand what its like waiting on parts.

Quick Reply: lead time on engine builds