Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AES Racing
If you were to run these heads I take it you would be looking to run .470-.500" lift lobes?

On a similar build using PI LS7 285 heads, .800 lift.

PAC 1328 springs $400
Xceldyne 8º retainers $377
Xceldyne 8º locks $110
Xceldyne lash caps $200 (titanium valves)

Running 350 seat/ 850 open, the chinese Ti retainers and stamped locks
arn't gonna cut it.

Figure you're gonna run copper intake seats with Ti valves? $400

Pushrods, $140 will get you some 3/8" pushrods .080 wall, would be like a soggy noodle with that vavletrain, you're going to want 3/8 or 7/16" heavy wall pushrods Manley, Trend, Manton, our pushrods for the above build were $500, three pc. 7/16" with tool steel ends. Trend or Manley pushrods .135" wall run $250.

.904" lifters are $750

I'd expect closer to $3000 for a sheetmetal intake

It starts to add up quick.
Fraser...It's still under 10K for the top end...I have bought and paid for what you are describing...I can throw out $$ all day. The fact is it's not as bad as you say. Oh, and my lifters...cost quite a bit more than you say...LOL Still under 10K for the top end...
Old 07-25-2010, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by UGotBeaT
Even at that titanium valves from del west or xceldyne will run around a 100-110 a piece and 140+ on intakes for hollow stems (n/a applications). I think the overall length on these heads for valves, depending on seat depth etc, would around 6.250 maybe a little taller. Id like to see what Cary's new Moses heads do..
It's too bad Cary doesn't return phone calls or emails...I'm looking for someone who can provide support before, during and after the sale and Cary isn't capable of it...
Old 07-25-2010, 07:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even at that titanium valves from del west or xceldyne will run around a 100-110 a piece and 140+ on intakes for hollow stems (n/a applications).
I don't think you're gonna run hollow stem valves on these heads, the spring pressure will tear them up. If you're implying running a splayed valve head with hydraulic roller valvetrain? You're better off running an LS7 head.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:38 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by barkingspud
It's too bad Cary doesn't return phone calls or emails...I'm looking for someone who can provide support before, during and after the sale and Cary isn't capable of it...
He is a VERY busy guy but we can always get in touch with him if we need anything or have any questions.

Maybe you should have tried Shawn @ Va. speed or another sponsor that sells Cary's heads and leaned on them for support.

Cary has the baddest stuff out there IMO.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:46 PM
FormerVendor

Fraser...It's still under 10K for the top end...I have bought and paid for what you are describing...I can throw out $$ all day. The fact is it's not as bad as you say. Oh, and my lifters...cost quite a bit more than you say...LOL Still under 10K for the top end...
I don't know what your point is?

Its easily 10k+ for assembled heads and intake manifold, if not more, now we're talking about Edelbrock heads, not yours right?

My point is, for a build everyone gets a number in mind for all the parts costs, generally its lower initially. ie It should cost $600 for valvetrain, I just showed it costs $1100, for springs, retainers, locks, lash caps alone.

Take for example assembled SB2 or SBX heads + sheetmetal intake, 10k, basically same parts content.

Last edited by AES Racing; 07-25-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That's what I was figuring my #'s around was these costing about the same as the top of the line CFE sb chevy stuff or the like.

Still think it's gonna be to see what these would be capable of in an all out race application, in a car that's under 2900 and with a real race n/a type tranny like a liberty.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Nicely put. Reminds of years ago when I dumped BIG money into a 14* headed 400" SBC. Custom everything as you mentioned. Only to be spanked by the 632" with 2-3 stages. Not to mention when they hurt theirs they could get parts tomorrow, mine, back on the waiting list. Biggest mistake of my racing career. My advice, stay with the mainstream stuff. Cubic inches will win everytime.

Engines like these are for BIG dollar guys that don't flinch at a 35K price tag. Whatever your adding up in your head add a 1/3 more to it, at least.

Don't be disappointed when your parts take months to get.

Originally Posted by JBM
Not even close. Big dollars and one off custom everything to make them work. Everything? Yes everything: headers, head studs, manifold, gaskets, spark plug tool, etc. As an example, the only available rockers for these heads are jesels that go for a cool $2600. If you want a fast n/a car, build a big block chevy and have enough left over to buy a new duramax 2500 to tow it around with.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

I don't think you're gonna run hollow stem valves on these heads, the spring pressure will tear them up. If you're implying running a splayed valve head with hydraulic roller valvetrain? You're better off running an LS7 head.
Didnt even think about running hydraulic roller crap with these heads..Ive never had an issue running hollow stem titanium intake valves with 1000 lbs of open pressure for n/a applications.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:42 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by helicoil
Nicely put. Reminds of years ago when I dumped BIG money into a 14* headed 400" SBC. Custom everything as you mentioned. Only to be spanked by the 632" with 2-3 stages. Not to mention when they hurt theirs they could get parts tomorrow, mine, back on the waiting list. Biggest mistake of my racing career. My advice, stay with the mainstream stuff. Cubic inches will win everytime.

Engines like these are for BIG dollar guys that don't flinch at a 35K price tag. Whatever your adding up in your head add a 1/3 more to it, at least.

Yeap,
I did a NEW SB2.2 (not cup take off parts) a few years back and in some way shape or form, I am still paying for it. Max cool points, but all in all, who cares. When the hood is slammed shut and you are blasting down the track I guess it doesn't matter what you have in there just so long as it runs good and you are happy.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:49 AM
10 Second Club

I don't know what your point is?

Its easily 10k+ for assembled heads and intake manifold, if not more, now we're talking about Edelbrock heads, not yours right?

My point is, for a build everyone gets a number in mind for all the parts costs, generally its lower initially. ie It should cost $600 for valvetrain, I just showed it costs $1100, for springs, retainers, locks, lash caps alone.

Take for example assembled SB2 or SBX heads + sheetmetal intake, 10k, basically same parts content.
Fraser, Ok you have the advantage of being on the "other" side of the counter. But I'm using my top end (which, by the way is fairly exotic compared to most) as a reasonable comparison of what it would take to assemble a pair of Edelbrock 770469 heads. The hardware would be very similar in price. The LABOR to get the 770469's ready, would cost between $2000-$5000 depending on how much R&D is put into the porting.

And no, I don't have a budget so, I am not shocked at ANY price for any part of my build, it's all part of going fast. My point (again) that a pair of 770469's assembled, would probably not be any more expensive than what I have currently.

That said, EVERYTHING we've been debating is conjecture, until someone actually puts a set together, we'll not know. That's why I am calling Edelbrock today, to get the skinny on a few details related to hardware requirements. I'll post up here with any new (real) information.

Cheers
Old 07-26-2010, 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

Didnt even think about running hydraulic roller crap with these heads..Ive never had an issue running hollow stem titanium intake valves with 1000 lbs of open pressure for n/a applications.
LOL Hydraulic? LOL!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by helicoil

Tell me about it. Just getting valve covers for my ETP's took an act of god and Cary begging their casting guys to do a short run of covers for the few sets of heads they sold...
Old 07-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Race your car!

That is a problem, I need a set of valve covers for Cary's heads.. the moroso ones I have sitting here I know aren't gonna work, and the last set of fab'd ones I had leaked like a BP oil well.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
That is a problem, I need a set of valve covers for Cary's heads.. the moroso ones I have sitting here I know aren't gonna work, and the last set of fab'd ones I had leaked like a BP oil well.
Which heads do you have?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Guy's I will say one thing here.

Their is not a chance that using thses heads would cost less then $15,000 when said and done. Also by the time you add up all the other parts that you need to go with it all it will be well more then that. I have over $5000 in lifters, rockers and push rods into parts for my PI heads. Anyway if you plan on getting a set you can't worry about the cost.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Race your car!

Which heads do you have?
4 inch bore ls7 heads, with custom 1.8 crower solid roller rockers.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
4 inch bore ls7 heads, with custom 1.8 crower solid roller rockers.
And there are no valve covers offered? Not even a prototype? WTF? THAT is what burns my ***. How can you manufacture heads and NOT offer a valve cover (if it's a rare or one off type) or at least a CAD prototype?

Let me guess, your rockers hang out over the top of the heads right?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

When I worked at kuntz we did a few sets of the Edelbrock SC1s and for a tricked out set they ran 8-8500 with all titanium intake valves and BeCu seats and all the nice stuff pretty much. Thats just heads assembled with no rockers so I imagine the LSR's would be in that range but everyones got different prices and more R&D..
Old 07-26-2010, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

I've been saying it...hardware is a pretty easy cost to figure. Labor (R&D) is another thing entirely. The top end hardware might "only" cost 10k but as I've said, you might pay 5k (or dare I say more) to finish the heads.

Regardless, I just might have to pick up a pair of these heads and see what they can do. Didn't get a chance to talk to Edelbrock today, hopefully I'll have a chance tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Race your car!

And there are no valve covers offered? Not even a prototype? WTF? THAT is what burns my ***. How can you manufacture heads and NOT offer a valve cover (if it's a rare or one off type) or at least a CAD prototype?

Let me guess, your rockers hang out over the top of the heads right?
No I don't think I will have any problems with that.. the moroso ones I have probably won't work becasue I know they leak like craz, 2 people I know have tried them, neither had good luck with them.

The Nasty ones I had on my last motor, same deal, corners leaked like mad, had I bought them strait from Nasty and not another member on here (and I know why he sold them after putting them on) I would have sent them right back.

The spacers, they're a pita, and I don't think it would work, that with a stock cover wouldn't fly.

I know this is sad.. if I could post a pic on here I'd to pull the bag off the motor and put a couple up. Other then there not being alot of room for clearance around the rockers for the bolts (enough, but not much) I don't think it will be a problem, at least I hope it won't be.

Quick Reply: New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head