Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

So lets say I wanted to put 11k into an LSx Build. What is the outcome?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright for the fun of it, 11k budget with an lsx. Some fun for rotory lovers

Ok First this is mainly just a thread due to some questions I have about my personal choices in a build.

This started by me making the mistake of telling a few Rotory Fanatics I would rather have an LSx then a Rotory... After some searching and of course quite a few comments against me they really can not show much.
First they felt the bottom end could not go above 400-500 so I showed them NicD's Camaro Dyno at 815whp (Could not find the GTO he has). So now its a matter of cost yet they still can not produce this magic Rotory for me that can do 1000 or so HP. I said with 11k I am sure car already present I could have a much nicer LSx then a Rotory (Highest 20b I found using google was 775HP so far one guy found one higher, of course the 2045HP LSX came up which I am sure many have seen).

So basically my question is for those looking to spend a little free time joining in on the fun with me.
What would you do with 11k to build a motor? What would be the outcome on just an Engine Dyno for that motor. Thats all were looking at is the motor build.

Thanks for those willing to spend a little time playing around with passing around more groans from the Rotory... fanatics (And I personally never said I did not lik the rotory, I said I pref the LSx for gas mileage and TRQ if I was going to spend money, not to mention User Base. I am not just being an *** to them.)

---How is this build for Juice? I wrote it for the other forum so ignore my sarcasm I am giving them a hard time lol---
Anyway here we go:
1) According to most the L92 CNC Head is about 580.00 through GM Depending on Dealer etc. The Modified one with Manley valves and dual extreme springs is around 870.00 Each. However right now Texas Speed is having a sale so heres what I choose:
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=697&catid=40
PRC LS3 & L92 CNC Ported Heads
Item#:
199-62l
These are dyno proven as the page shows, and set me back 1125.00 plus the 250 valve spring upgrade. (Why not) so were at 1375 and we have the heads for our monster (I will probably be using the same heads for the FI car... why not lol)

2) Next I was drawn to these Intake Manifolds. Now the HP rating is of the amount of Juice it can handle not max HP for the Manifold... incase someone does not understand. I choose the unpainted one... yeah I am being cheap but I did go for the bottle upgrade. So I got the Nitrous Outlet 4 Solenoid as my choice. Here is the link:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...-products.html
Cost with 15LB Bottle upgrade is 2460.00

3) Now lets look at blocks because this can make or break the bank. I was informed by a helpful vendor of yet another special! God this must be the time to build lol. However I have not heard back for the link to his site so I decided hell lets take a look at a few others to keep it fair like you rotory guys have :p I was lazy and just stuck with Texas Speed and threw this together:
http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp
Name:
402/408cid LS1/LQ9 or LSX Iron Stroker Short Block
Item#:
25-402IronSB
It costs 4298.00 and comes nicely setup.
We have the following Mods as well:
Diamond -2cc Pistons
Total Seal HD Steel Top Ring Set
Callies 6.125" LS1 Compstar Rods (Following the advice of another on this change from the Scat ones)
Callies Dragonslayer Crankshaft
ARP Main Stud Kit
GM LQ9 6.0L Longblock
This is a Stroker Block if you did not catch that. So now we have the Manifold, Built Bottom End and Nice Heads and still over 2000.00 left not to bad yet.

4) A set of headers of course then some other fun stuff. I just choose the Texas Speed set, there are cheaper but I got the rest from here why not again.
With the gaskets and bolts we got the O2 Extensions for good Measure lol. So 543 for that.
Name:
ALL NEW Texas Speed 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Item#:
25-178LT
Straight forward there.

5) I am working on the link for TB's thats another vendor or a pick up from the Classifieds so we will go with the High price of 350.00
PTM 92mm TB=$350
NM Found it on Texas Speed for the same price I said so here is the item number and a link as always.
http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=891
Name:
P.T.M. 92mm Throttle Body
Item#:
25-PTM92

6) For our O2 Readings again FAST seems the way to keep going so why not. Dual O2's in a kit that has things I could probably get cheaper but again links are what makes it all work. Cost is $440.00
Name:
F.A.S.T. Air/Fuel Meter
Item#:
111-170401

7) Next our fuel lets say 60LB/h High Impedance Injectors how that? I am working on a link give me some time here. We have 480.00 for them unless you go to eBay if you want cheaper (Which goes for all this but I stayed away from that just for the fun of overspending why not lol, playing around is fun!)
I have the FAST Part number I will provide a vendor shortly but again looking through the FS Section I am sure we could do even cheaper. (Not to mention I saw a few Stroker Motors in there lol)

8) Oh because I was not sure it was included lets add this oil pump, I believe this is the right one otherwise screw it the Mahelli is not to much more and we have some cash still lol.
150.00 for this one.
http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=151&catid=55
Name:
TSP Ported LS6 Oil Pump
Item#:
25-12586665M

So we have over 800.00 left.

Last edited by Cross; 12-18-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:04 AM
FormerVendor

Basically for $11k you would be able to put down some impressive numbers. If you had $11K for JUST the motor to make as much power as you could, is that what youa re asking? Power adder included in the $11K? (do I have to buy my blower or turbo AND the motor with the $11K is what I am asking)

If NO, then:

LSx tall deck block
Scat crank
Scat Rods
Wiseco Pistons
Come in @ 427-440" and @ 9:1
Solid Roller Cam
L92 heads just cleaned up to save some money.

Thats an honest $10K right there. On motor, it would make an easy 650 FWHP. Then add your blower or turbo and make some kind of stupid power

If you needed to make due for a TOTAL of $11K...

I would go through the classifieds here on the board, and pick you up a nice motor already built that someone can not finish or lost interest for @ $6-$7K and throw a blower/turbo on it and call it done.

Because buying ALL NEW parts, your not gonna make 1000 HP for under $11K. Well, at least reliably anyways. You may be able make it once or twice, but won't last.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^Bump that compression up a bit and spray a 250-300 shot on it for an easy 1000rwhp.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Ok deals are allowed, if you know of one hell yes its allowed provided a link is included.

This is for power adder and motor, and we are looking for it to be able to be say a weekend warrior.

Now with that said,
How about some fuel questons for just the sake of asking (nothing to do with the costs). I was under the impression the lsx ecu could handle this but a few have brought it up and claim an outside fuel managment system would be needed, thoughts?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Oh and I love the higher comp and juice idea. I would like to see more there. (Personally)
Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gen414
Basically for $11k you would be able to put down some impressive numbers. If you had $11K for JUST the motor to make as much power as you could, is that what youa re asking? Power adder included in the $11K? (do I have to buy my blower or turbo AND the motor with the $11K is what I am asking)

If NO, then:

LSx tall deck block
Scat crank
Scat Rods
Wiseco Pistons
Come in @ 427-440" and @ 9:1
Solid Roller Cam
L92 heads just cleaned up to save some money.

Thats an honest $10K right there. On motor, it would make an easy 650 FWHP. Then add your blower or turbo and make some kind of stupid power

If you needed to make due for a TOTAL of $11K...

I would go through the classifieds here on the board, and pick you up a nice motor already built that someone can not finish or lost interest for @ $6-$7K and throw a blower/turbo on it and call it done.

Because buying ALL NEW parts, your not gonna make 1000 HP for under $11K. Well, at least reliably anyways. You may be able make it once or twice, but won't last.
Why would you put up a block that isnt available yet....this is a build for an engine that will have parts avail would be my guess....and why the heck would you say scat rods and crank. I mean they are good pieces..but i dont think your math is right.

If you want a descent build...go with the callies compstar. although i have not seen alot of scat things go bad, why not build it with better parts. esp if you are increasing load on everything, get a better part to start with. You wouldnt need a solid roller cam either...and really why cheap out on the pistons also? there are plenty of L92s that are upgraded by the seller and come CNCd from GM that arent budget breakers either.

If you are buying scat/wiseco rotating assys for that price...i would rethink who you are buying them from.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

I def would like more of the information on the gm parts you mentioned.

I know some going for lower budgets and levels have brought up the truck 6L blocks being a great start. So more information on this and others is def something I would like to collect more information on. Because even though I have an ltx formula, I do want to put an lsx build in an fd for a weekend warrior in the next 2 years so I def would like to collect info. I am still going back and forth with the idea of FI vs NA + Juice.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well you would def need to use the LS2 or the truck iron block for any L92 build. In all reality the costs come out to about the same from either the truck block or the alum blocks. Machining is always involved. If you have a stockish block to work from, the harder parts like plug kits, and such are done for you. The most costly part is bits a pieces...not the larger things really. Plus you have to focus on what you want. Also competitive pricing is always a good thing, because in the end you do not have to get your parts from one place, but if you do, sometimes you can get a break. short blocks will range from 4k to 6k depending on what you want from there. long blocks will range anywhere from 6k to 9k really. those would be nearly turnkey. those engines will range from mid 400 HP to well over 600 ideally.

The GM heads are a CNCd L92 head. They sell them as a stock number. They flow very well. They run anywhere from $580 per head...so thats a good flowing stock CNCd head set for 1160. Upgraded they run i believe somewhere in the $870ish range. Upgraded means Manley valves and dual extreme springs...just some food for thought
Old 12-18-2008, 10:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're wanting bang for the buck from a CNC'd L92 head, check out the PRC line-up! They out-perform the GM CNC's L92 head for the same kind of money We've also got them on a sale until the end of the year!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TSP 408 long block prc L92's= $6,500 + or - $1,500 depending on internals

Nitro Daves Fiber Tuned intake with 4 solenoid direct port N2O=$3,200

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...-products.html

PTM 92mm TB=$320

thats adds up to between $10,200 and $11,700 and the intake and nitrous set up is good for up to a 600 shot
Old 12-18-2008, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Ok I def like the links etc but guys I am not buyin a block right now I am just finishing the 355ltx to have it out this month on the road, its a alittle ways off.

Here's another question that they keep sitting on, the lsx ecu fuel maping and map sensor being fixed. My understanding is you can swap them and the lsx ecu can pretty much be reprogramed for all of it.
They also seem to think it can not handle bigger injectors... I know it can lol. So someinfo on the side again, what's the limits of our ecu?
Also they brought up theftlock 3, is that a problem or how is it dealt with as honestly I had not considered it.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Comparing the LSX series of engines to the 20b seems a little like apples to oranges.

With less than $1K I could make over 500whp, some crazy torque, and get 30+ MPGs. If you look around the N2O section you'll see some big numbers with stock internals. Nitrous is the key to making nasty amounts of power on a budget. I also think streetassasin's setup would pretty much run circles around any rotary you can find.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

I was trying to stay away from juice because I knew they would cry they can not match it.

However I don't mind having it since they are getting... rude lol.

However I want to look myself but at work on a sidekick I thought I would ask.

Also I only stated I would pref an lsx in an fd and it started from there when they asked why and I answered nicely but also honestly... u know how those fan boys can be then. Some are quite nice though.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

So I was lazy and just went with Texas Speed hows that for a build, will it do the job with Juice? I wanted to ask before I posted. I am going to keep hunting but that was a quick throw together to give an idea of what I was thinking about showing.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by gectek
Why would you put up a block that isnt available yet....this is a build for an engine that will have parts avail would be my guess....and why the heck would you say scat rods and crank. .

Huh? That block has been available for awhile now.

Obviously you need to get around the block more as Scat make KILLER cranks. If you think I was refering to their $800-$900 crank, I wasn't. You do know that Scat supplies cranks to some of teh big guns in TOP FUEL, don't ya?
Old 12-19-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

#1 a normal person will not be able to get ahold of anything like that
#2 Scat makes good budget cranks. PERIOD. Everyone knows this. Maybe you need to get out more. If they made "killer" cranks, callies would not be in business.

#3 The tall deck LSX has not been released yet, nor does it have a release date. Its like the fabled Street Warrior intake only ADD 2 years.

#4 This aint my first rodeo. It sounds like you are talking through your mirror belt buckle on this one. He didnt say he wanted to build a top fuel engine...Yes they are good cranks, NO they are not as high a quality as the callies compstar or above that the dragon slayer. Next you will try to compare them to Lunati Sledgehammers. HAH

I have my facts straight...dont believe everything the liberal press tells you
Old 12-19-2008, 08:46 AM
FormerVendor

#1 a normal person will not be able to get ahold of anything like that
#2 Scat makes good budget cranks. PERIOD. Everyone knows this. Maybe you need to get out more. If they made "killer" cranks, callies would not be in business.

#3 The tall deck LSX has not been released yet, nor does it have a release date. Its like the fabled Street Warrior intake only ADD 2 years.

#4 This aint my first rodeo. It sounds like you are talking through your mirror belt buckle on this one. He didnt say he wanted to build a top fuel engine...Yes they are good cranks, NO they are not as high a quality as the callies compstar or above that the dragon slayer. Next you will try to compare them to Lunati Sledgehammers. HAH

I have my facts straight...dont believe everything the liberal press tells you

Last I checked, the man wanted an opinion on IF he had $11k to spend on a motor, and asked how we would spend it. That's how I would. You don't like it? Move on.
If you want to continue your pissing war, do it through PM and not hijack the mans thread

Last edited by Gen414; 12-19-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Huh? That block has been available for awhile now.

Obviously you need to get around the block more as Scat make KILLER cranks. If you think I was refering to their $800-$900 crank, I wasn't. You do know that Scat supplies cranks to some of teh big guns in TOP FUEL, don't ya?
Ahhhh, the unicorn block. A production tall deck block has never been touched by consumer's hands, it is still not available.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 12-19-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Last I checked, the man wanted an opinion on IF he had $11k to spend on a motor, and asked how we would spend it. That's how I would. You don't like it? Move on.
If you want to continue your pissing war, do it through PM and not hijack the mans thread
no he did ask for that, but also said it was going in a rotary car....AND prob driven around...not down the 1320 only on weekends and only at sanctioned tracks and so on.

You recommended an egregious misuse of money. If you were willing to spend that much on those parts, you shouldnt be posting at all, but working 24/7 to afford the loan you just took out for it.

Those parts would make what he was wanting, yes, IF the block were available. But why not use the same amount of money to get better parts. You were posting up the walmart parts for the Macy's price. i dont get it. you were wrong, I was right...so move on.

This is not hijacking the thread...if you would look at his edited first post instead of focusing in on mine, then you would see that MY recommendations went on there. This is all good technical info mixed with personal opinion, except mine is proven opinion...aka fact.

Ok so think of something else witty to come back with...i got keyboard handgrenades all day if you want them. Save the OP some time though...realize scat = budget crank and not comparable to any of the higher end stuff and def not worth the cost percentage you put.

Also there is no need to "clean up" the stock L92s when you can get cncd ones for nearly the same price.

and just because parts are available to the Pro drag circuit doesnt mean it is available to the general public, and def doesnt mean they use ANY of that same design in their for the general public parts
Old 12-19-2008, 09:15 AM
FormerVendor

no he did ask for that, but also said it was going in a rotary car....AND prob driven around...not down the 1320 only on weekends and only at sanctioned tracks and so on.

You recommended an egregious misuse of money. If you were willing to spend that much on those parts, you shouldnt be posting at all, but working 24/7 to afford the loan you just took out for it.

Those parts would make what he was wanting, yes, IF the block were available. But why not use the same amount of money to get better parts. You were posting up the walmart parts for the Macy's price. i dont get it. you were wrong, I was right...so move on.

This is not hijacking the thread...if you would look at his edited first post instead of focusing in on mine, then you would see that MY recommendations went on there. This is all good technical info mixed with personal opinion, except mine is proven opinion...aka fact.

Ok so think of something else witty to come back with...i got keyboard handgrenades all day if you want them. Save the OP some time though...realize scat = budget crank and not comparable to any of the higher end stuff and def not worth the cost percentage you put.

Also there is no need to "clean up" the stock L92s when you can get cncd ones for nearly the same price.

and just because parts are available to the Pro drag circuit doesnt mean it is available to the general public, and def doesnt mean they use ANY of that same design in their for the general public parts

Quick Reply: So lets say I wanted to put 11k into an LSx Build. What is the outcome?