Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

BIG PROBLEM!!!! Need some thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
wow i meant not to use synthetic oil. as far as your tolerances you can use yours and ill go with my standard. I found a bar and raised it to my expectations. Now i know why my parents tought me that when a man has to use profanity it actually shows how much of and idiot he really is lol.
Maybe your parents should have tought you to spell taught. Who's the idiot? How much of and idiot? You are kidding right?

As far as being and idiot, try using the shift key, and spell check.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by code4
lt looks like on your 60-140 video that you are bouncing off the limiter at above 7G's. Isn't that a little tough on a 4.1 stroke?
Well considering that the Rev limiter is AT 7000 I wouldn't think so. I mean what's a dyno?

We stopped at 7k because it was my DD
Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=edcmat-l1;10901716] Brown and Sharpe, Starrett, it doesn't matter the brand.QUOTE]

well hech (heck) they dun tought me goad here. maybe you should have listed all of them i prefer lol Central.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

tust me i know you are one of the best engine builders, but when someone drops $5000 dollars into an engine, im gonna measure everything to fit my .0001 std even if it means grinding a new crank and polishing it to fit the bearings. I know how he has drove this engine, and it has not been hard. what i am tring to get at is (and correct me if i am wrong) if you run a loose clearnce they should make the buyer aware in their break in guide to not run a thin oils such as 5w30 to keep oil pressure. i know that it also depends on the oil pump but it should be brougt up.
If you tried to get an engine builder to set clearances within a REAL .0001 range they would probably charge the $5000 the engine cost him just to set the clearances. You are talking closer tolerances than pro stock or nascar where they spend millions per year on engines.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

all I can say is I build trannies and deal with tolerances in the ten thousanths ursually measuring the pumps at what have you....man .0001 is really far fetched and as said before if the room temp changes 10 degrees it will change the measurements so lets say you are measuring during the day and get 4 rods complete and then you come back at night and do the rest or even later in the day your measurements will not be right a strand of hair is around .001 id dont even know what to measure to give a example of what .0001 is that is like nothing so to do this type of measuring you would have to have a climate con trolled room to the T and not be able to touch your parts so I doubt that you are making clearnces that close to each other
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Banned

well hech (heck) they dun tought me goad here. maybe you should have listed all of them i prefer lol Central.
Wow brainiac. If you prefer Central over B&S or Starrett, that really says alot about your knowledge and expertise.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

dont they sell central at harbor freight and sears
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Wow brainiac. If you prefer Central over B&S or Starrett, that really says alot about your knowledge and expertise.
to each his own i guess, i just find it funny that sponsers are the only ones that are arguing. i gues my standards are just too high. i measure multiple times before i assemble an engine, and i know that with heat sizes will change but if you keep the measuring tool next to the item it is measuring it stays pretty close. that way they stay the same temp.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i guess i better start putting engines together with calipers if tenths dont matter.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Banned

to each his own i guess, i just find it funny that sponsers are the only ones that are arguing. i gues my standards are just too high. i measure multiple times before i assemble an engine, and i know that with heat sizes will change but if you keep the measuring tool next to the item it is measuring it stays pretty close. that way they stay the same temp.
Maybe it's just sponsors that know you're full of it. No one holds tolerances that tight. Especially with Central tools. They are the Walmart brand of measuring tools. B&S and Starrett would be considered the Cadillac and MB of measuring tools.

You mean to tell me, that if you have a crank with rod journals that are out by .0003, that you are going to polish them until they are within .0001?

I find it amusing that your measuring standards are as high as they are, yet you can't spell to save your ***. It's sponsors, not sponsers. Guess has 2 s's, not one. "I" should be capitalized. You must be the machinist "Rainman".
Old 01-22-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by the_merv
I lost a Bearing at 2500.. brand new build. Oil Pump failed internally, that is the only thing we figured to cause it, cause everything else was fine.
Id kill myself if this happened to me! haha

but dude that sucks good luck to you
Old 01-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Banned

i guess i better start putting engines together with calipers if tenths dont matter.
I never said tenths didn't matter. I said you can't hold your tolerances to one tenth. There's a big difference between half a thou (.0005) and one tenth (.0001)

Even at a half a thou, your tolerances will be +/- a few tenths. Not one tenth.

You're trying to bullshit too many people that know what they're talking about.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

not trying to bash you but if you are building motors to this standard where are they at? give me a big name cause withthat kind of standard ashley force, jeff gordon, f1 races, rally, they should all be using your motors hell I would buy from you in a heartbeat....the only reason that I am saying this is becuase having to measure tranny parts in the 10 thousnaths I know that it is basically impossible to measure .0001 with accuracy....man just be real. if you are makng these types of engines you will make a killing on this site get sponsorship you will put everyone else out of business and at 22yo man you are on the fast track for sure

Last edited by performabuilt2; 01-22-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by performabuilt2
not trying to bash you
I don't mind bashing him, he's full of ****. He doesn't even use high enough quality tools to measure something that accurately.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=05JUDGE;10877010]Here are the damage pics. #6 rod bearing spun. The #6 rod ground about .030 out of the crank in that position. All of the rod bearing were scored and as soon as we took the caps off the bearing were falling out. Not locked in place at all. All of the main bearings were scored and damaged. The best of all the mains, was the thrust bearing. The crank is ruined, the rods are more than likely ruined. The block came through with no damage, as well as the pistons.

I'm sure the cam is hurt as well. Shared the same oil. I'd be surprised if you couldn't clean up and reuse the rods though.

I had this happen to my mustang 5.0 after just 50 miles or so. Same story, you never know. It was built by a engine shop, then when it went out, I built it again myself, it ran strong with good pressure. Never had the issue again.

Last edited by 01Z28Camaro; 01-22-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not trying to bash you but if you are building motors to this standard where are they at? give me a big name cause withthat kind of standard ashley force, jeff gordon, f1 races, rally, they should all be using your motors hell I would buy from you in a heartbeat....the only reason that I am saying this is becuase having to measure tranny parts in the 10 thousnaths I know that it is basically impossible to measure .0001 with accuracy....man just be real. if you are makng these types of engines you will make a killing on this site get sponsorship you will put everyone else out of business and at 22yo man you are on the fast track for sure
glad to see admirers, Mitchell is the name and perfection (or near )is the game. I build engines that preform and last. drive it to the track and drive it home, not just go down the track a few times. i know you have heard that last name. also have family in the tranny bizz in des moines Ia. Youll probubly bash but they merged with ammaco
Old 01-22-2009, 08:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

no ammaco is a reputable company and some good tranny techs and some bad ones as everywhere...your thought is great and those standards are great I do admire you for having that high of standards howver what you are saying is for the most part impossible. youu can se those clearances to that close and the next day they will not be the same.

so the next day comes and they are .0002 larger well how are you gonna make them tighter and then when you do that the next day they are different what are you gonna do. you will spend a year getting a short block together...here is a question for you answer this and I will beleive that yo are as skilled as you say you are

How can you make cam duration longer in a pushrod engine without changing the cam profile. this would be something a precision machinist would do

Old 01-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Banned

glad to see admirers, Mitchell is the name and perfection (or near )is the game. I build engines that preform and last. drive it to the track and drive it home, not just go down the track a few times. i know you have heard that last name. also have family in the tranny bizz in des moines Ia. Youll probubly bash but they merged with ammaco
I've never heard the name. Unless you mean Mitchell information.

Please educate me on how you measure and hold tolerances tighter than anyone else in the biz, including the highest level of engine builders. And do so with junk tools.

What equipment do you use? We know you use junk tools, what equipment do you use for you machine work? How much time do you spend assuring all of your tolerances are within .0001 of each other? What do you charge for your machine work?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
I've never heard the name. Unless you mean Mitchell information.

Please educate me on how you measure and hold tolerances tighter than anyone else in the biz, including the highest level of engine builders. And do so with junk tools.

What equipment do you use? We know you use junk tools, what equipment do you use for you machine work? How much time do you spend assuring all of your tolerances are within .0001 of each other? What do you charge for your machine work?
well we have a crank grinder by Storm Vulcan (modle 15a) and a Van Norman (m111 for big cranks like in diesles). Barco and sunnen surface grinder and miller. rottler hone and boring tool, and also a ck-10 sunnen hone. Sunnen pin setter and rod condictioner. Many other machines. some prices a bore and torqueplate hone is 25 a hole, 125 to grinde a crank, 200 on up for balancing,25 to polish a crank,250 to line bore a block. im not gonna get in a pissing match with you. to end this ill say your right and im worng.

Last edited by novaflash2002; 01-22-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no ammaco is a reputable company and some good tranny techs and some bad ones as everywhere...your thought is great and those standards are great I do admire you for having that high of standards howver what you are saying is for the most part impossible. youu can se those clearances to that close and the next day they will not be the same.

so the next day comes and they are .0002 larger well how are you gonna make them tighter and then when you do that the next day they are different what are you gonna do. you will spend a year getting a short block together...here is a question for you answer this and I will beleive that yo are as skilled as you say you are

How can you make cam duration longer in a pushrod engine without changing the cam profile. this would be something a precision machinist would do
honestly i havent gotten hard core. i know how to do the basic measurement very well and also the basic machining. but if i were a betting man i would say you couldnt. but i am open to learning

Quick Reply: BIG PROBLEM!!!! Need some thoughts.