Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

BIG PROBLEM!!!! Need some thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BIG PROBLEM!!!! Need some thoughts.

Last night when I pulled into my apartment complex, my motor was making a light know from the lower end. Wasn't anything loud our hard so I figured I would look at it this morning and see if it would repeat itself. Well I start up the car this morning, and no knock. The car sounded fine, so I took off for work. It's about an 8 mile trip down the interstate to work. So about a mile and a half away from work, my car makes a little lunge and this rattling starts from the motor. I slow down and notice my oil pressure went from about 30psi to 16psi. I have one stop sign where I exit the interstate and then my last half mile of 35mph driving. When I stopped at the stop sign, the car felt like it was running on 7 cylinders and knocking pretty bad. I limped my last little distance and parked the car and as I parked the check oil light came on and the pressure went to 6psi. After it cooled down I checked the oil and has gone from clean last night, to black and lots of grainy metal shavings. Obviously something internal went, but what normally would be gone with these symptoms? I haven't been hard on the car in forever since there has been so much snow lately and it's my DD. The car did sit for 2 weeks over the holidays. I had my oil changed exactly 261 miles ago and made the swap to full synthetic. To me I am thinking I spun a bearing. I just don't know.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 05JUDGE
Last night when I pulled into my apartment complex, my motor was making a light know from the lower end. Wasn't anything loud our hard so I figured I would look at it this morning and see if it would repeat itself. Well I start up the car this morning, and no knock. The car sounded fine, so I took off for work. It's about an 8 mile trip down the interstate to work. So about a mile and a half away from work, my car makes a little lunge and this rattling starts from the motor. I slow down and notice my oil pressure went from about 30psi to 16psi. I have one stop sign where I exit the interstate and then my last half mile of 35mph driving. When I stopped at the stop sign, the car felt like it was running on 7 cylinders and knocking pretty bad. I limped my last little distance and parked the car and as I parked the check oil light came on and the pressure went to 6psi. After it cooled down I checked the oil and has gone from clean last night, to black and lots of grainy metal shavings. Obviously something internal went, but what normally would be gone with these symptoms? I haven't been hard on the car in forever since there has been so much snow lately and it's my DD. The car did sit for 2 weeks over the holidays. I had my oil changed exactly 261 miles ago and made the swap to full synthetic. To me I am thinking I spun a bearing. I just don't know.
I think your right...regardless its coming apart.
let us know!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Sounds like a spun bearing to me! Drain the oil and remove the filter and cut it open. If you find a bunch of copper/brass looking particles in there, it's definitely a spun bearing! (ask me how I know?)

Jimbo
Old 01-13-2009, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

What typically causes a spun bearing? It's been driving to and from work(20miles round trip) since August with no banging on it at all. Just doesn't make since.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Sometimes **** happens like that, when it's time to go, they go.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv
Sometimes **** happens like that, when it's time to go, they go.
6k miles just doesn't seem like it should be time to go...lol...
Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil pressure is built up by the clearance in the bearings. As the clearance increases, oil pressure goes down...Unfortunately.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is the oil full on the dipstick? See if you have any leaks somewhere, and yeah 6k miles on it it wasn't time for it to go lol. You should have a warranty on that don't you?
Old 01-13-2009, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jon5212
Is the oil full on the dipstick? See if you have any leaks somewhere, and yeah 6k miles on it it wasn't time for it to go lol. You should have a warranty on that don't you?
Oil is full, but nasty and as for warranty, it's covered on workmanship, but I am thinking I might have other issues after talking to some people.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by 05JUDGE
6k miles just doesn't seem like it should be time to go...lol...
I lost a Bearing at 2500.. brand new build. Oil Pump failed internally, that is the only thing we figured to cause it, cause everything else was fine.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

I just hope I can salvage most of the parts. I am thinking about just selling off the motor for parts and doing something different with the car.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only if I was so fortunate. A spun bearing is nothing to worry about lol. Try throwing a rod through your resleeved block and oil pan while internally destroying the block as the broke rod flung around at 4K rpms....This is what I'm dealing with right now....arg.

Good luck on your car!
Old 01-13-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Haans249
Only if I was so fortunate. A spun bearing is nothing to worry about lol. Try throwing a rod through your resleeved block and oil pan while internally destroying the block as the broke rod flung around at 4K rpms....This is what I'm dealing with right now....arg.

Good luck on your car!
Ummmm...... Dam post pics, Just do the the 3 B mod Bigger, Badder, Better
Old 01-18-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds to me like the main bearings let loose.

Hard to detrmine why without inspecting the motor. How many miles did the motor have on it ?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

Here are the damage pics. #6 rod bearing spun. The #6 rod ground about .030 out of the crank in that position. All of the rod bearing were scored and as soon as we took the caps off the bearing were falling out. Not locked in place at all. All of the main bearings were scored and damaged. The best of all the mains, was the thrust bearing. The crank is ruined, the rods are more than likely ruined. The block came through with no damage, as well as the pistons.
Crank damage after removing #6

Whats left of the #6 bearing

Whats left of the #6 bearing

#6 rod damage

Scored main bearings

Crank damage after rods removed
Old 01-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

How many miles were on that, and who built that?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Damn dude that sucks. What better time to throw some forged pistons/rods in than now though.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RyderTA
Damn dude that sucks. What better time to throw some forged pistons/rods in than now though.
Lol, you can't tell those are already forged pistons/rods?

Looks like a serious mess! If no other rods bearing had spun, you may only need to replace the one rod.

As far as the crank, thats scrap metal now. What shop built this? I would leave it where it is now, and then start some court actions against faulty workmanship. You maybe able to get it rebuilt on their dime by another shop.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Haans249
Lol, you can't tell those are already forged pistons/rods?

Looks like a serious mess! If no other rods bearing had spun, you may only need to replace the one rod.

As far as the crank, thats scrap metal now. What shop built this? I would leave it where it is now, and then start some court actions against faulty workmanship. You maybe able to get it rebuilt on their dime by another shop.
LOL. We built it.

You're the stereotypical American who gets all lawyer happy aren't you? You don't even know what happened to it, how long it ran flawlessly, etc and you're saying get a lawyer?

Jason, shoot me a line and we'll see what we can figure out about what happened and we'll try to help in whatever way we can to get you back on the road.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-19-2009, 10:07 AM
10 Second Club

That's an awful lot of damage caused by one spun rod bearing. When I lost #2 rod bearing on my new build at 1700 miles, all it did was ruin the #2 rod.
The forged crank wasn't damaged at all and just needed to be polished.
Builder replaced the rod, all the rod, cam and main bearings, put a fresh hone job on the cylinders and replaced the rings. It was all done under warranty and now the motor is back in the car and running fine.
If you can, you should post up here about where the motor was built and what they are going to do to help you out! Good luck and sorry to see that mess!

Jimbo

Quick Reply: BIG PROBLEM!!!! Need some thoughts.