Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

BIG PROBLEM!!!! Need some thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00_STANG_KILLER
Sounds reasonable just seems there should be more support but i guess when it comes to toys your own your own if **** breaks. Well Good luck with the house and getting rid of your car hope it all works out.
Oh it will. I think an 05 GTO with a cammed Iron 6.0 should sell easily if I ask my payoff.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 05JUDGE
I just wish I would have actually gotten to "thrash" on mine. I got 3 track passes and a couple of WOT runs for HP Tuners logs. I guess this is the parts where "**** happens".
Just want you to know my post was not an attack on you. Only a generalized statement about the biz as a whole.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Just want you to know my post was not an attack on you. Only a generalized statement about the biz as a whole.
Oh I know. I would just have felt a lot better if I had been bouncing off the rev limiter when this happened. Then I would feel completely responsible for it breaking.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
tust me i know you are one of the best engine builders, but when someone drops $5000 dollars into an engine, im gonna measure everything to fit my .0001 std even if it means grinding a new crank and polishing it to fit the bearings. I know how he has drove this engine, and it has not been hard. what i am tring to get at is (and correct me if i am wrong) if you run a loose clearnce they should make the buyer aware in their break in guide to not run a thin oils such as 5w30 to keep oil pressure. i know that it also depends on the oil pump but it should be brougt up.
I didn't measure any bearing clearances, I did have everything balanced, and I helped build my motor from bare GM LQ9. I filed the rings for the first time as well as many other firsts on my motor. My break in was, turn the car on had 0 oil pressure. After letting the car idle for at least 3 minutes the guy in the driver seat realized there was no oil pressure. No front oil plug. After that I ran 100 miles, changed the oil, 500 changed it, and at 1000, after that I BEAT THE LIVING **** OUT OF THE CAR. And I have been doing that ever sense.

Heres the proof........

http://videos.streetfire.net/profile/MyWs6.htm

Funny that a BIG corpration such as gm will sell you a brand new ls2 with a 30,000 3 year warranty that is massed produced and more supsectable to failure but yet a "Professional" known motor building shop that build engines for specific application
to do a certain job andwont warranty 5k worth of motor.sounds shady to me just another bad thing ive herd about a "Professional" motor building shop........Just my thoughts and b/c ive had friends have the same type of crappy customer service over amail order tune that nearly blew up his motor.
Big difference between a stock ls2 from gm and a built 427 race motor. Go ahead and put headers on that stock ls2 then take it to Gm when it fails, see if they give you a new one, hell not even headers, just paint the valve covers, let us know how that turns out. I Spent well over 15k with TSP over the years, and when I have lost motors I never got mad at them or any one that touched my motor or I bought the parts from, because of the simple fact, you have to pay to play. Each time I would just call Jason up and within a couple days Id have boxes at my door. And Don't knock the mail order tune, thats just silly.

They sure dont mind making you pay though. I guess more are for money than respect. I work at a independant Repair shop and we warranty our work 12k miles or 1 year weather we do a simple brake job or major engine repair and thats taking old apart and puting old /new back together and we are by no means funded like a dealer its paycheck to paycheck and i think we are very respected for that Just my 2 cents but im kinda old fashioned i guess
AWESOME! So when my current motor goes I can just bring all the new parts and block to you guys, and as long as yall put it together yall will give me 12k or 1 year! It makes me so mad when people like yourself get on forums like this one and make poor ignorant attempts to discredit companies.
I just know what its like saving up hard eraned money buying what you think is the best and will be worrie free and it ***** out and they say oops sorry even after the proper break in and everything i just dont see that but this is all my opinion sorry if all you guys that have money like it grows on trees have a problem with that which im sure your not b/c you dont make money being honest anymore so take up for another person just like yourself im being sensable it only makes sense to treat people good bc in the long run you will make your money but i know they have lost any sales to me and about 4 other local f body owners all it would take is at least partial money back torwards a new engine at least its still putting the name out and saying well the first one fucked up so we worked it out and got him a new engine from our shop and hes rolling again.
Your Nucking Futs! 6,000 miles, months, track runs, and 60-140mph pulls later. Everyone knows what its like to save hard earned money, but like I said before, pay to play man.

Im an auto mechanic not a grammar/english teacher thats nice that all u have to offer this thread is a ******* comment bashing me i have not made any personal attacks i just was questionaing the build quality and honestness of the company with suck a coastly motor that had a short life. So take your shittalking elsewhare which then again this is probly all you have to do at your office job waiting on your car to be built by other people that you hope know what there doing. I just dont see it being right that he spent so much money thinking he was doing it all right and had a catosrophic failure and no support to get back on the road and an empty savings account especially on his daily driver.
Do you have any idea how many short blocks they send out in a year, a month, a week, each day? Your logic is so *** backwards, do you polish cranks to get .0001 too?

I have a local shop, that the business I work for uses, do it. I always, and I mean ALWAYS double check their work before I leave the parking lot. I check the oil, look under the car at the filter and listen to the car before I drive off. If I had the time, and a place that wasn't below 20 degrees, I would do it myself.
Thats what I was thinking on page 3. Can you test the oil to make sure it is indeed the oil that was supposed to be in there?

Originally Posted by 1997bird
But that still doesn't mean that the car wasn't "dry" fired in the shop sorry to say. Our store there in Denver was real close to a Jiffylube and had a lot of customers tell a few stories of said instances. Things seamed to be ok for a week, maybe two, then the rods would start knocking. Maybe this didn't happen, but it just sounded way too familar to me.......
+1

Oh I know. I would just have felt a lot better if I had been bouncing off the rev limiter when this happened. Then I would feel completely responsible for it breaking.
I am sorry for you man, I hope everything works out some how.

Jeff
Old 01-25-2009, 01:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

damn, first off I just have to say its a damn good thing I'm waiting up for my g/f otherwise I would have been real pissed off if I took this much time to read through this thread to listen to half of that garbage. I hope none of the mods get pissed at me for saying this but some of that **** should have been shut done ages ago.

Here we have a guy with an *** raping situation and we have people bickering over measurements. I mean hey I have an opinion on that matter too... but does anyone give a ****? How did that whole argument end? It didn't, no ground gained and it in the end did NOTHING to benefit the poster which has the original problem. Not attacking anyones motives, workmanship or capabilities here I'm just saying there was no need for it and I don't see why it wasn't shut down.

Anyway, time for me to get to the point of this whole thread too. I'm sorry to see all this happen man. I'm in the process of a build that could cost upwards of 10000$ of my hard earned money. I can't even imagine how I would be feeling if this happened to me. However, its clear nothing can be done and you do have to pay to play. I almost feel like there should be a charity on this board for you lol. Good luck with all and atleast you can keep your brains and cool through all of this.

Good call MyWS6 I've probably watched that video 100 times. I guess you never really know what/how/when somethings gonna give out... its all a gamble don't bet more then you're willing to lose.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

I have noted my 403 will drop oil pressure at the top of the revs on a hard pull.
Between the GTO front sump pan, the pickup position and the head drainback rate you have to keep it full to slightly overfull if ya want to turn higher than 6.7k dragracing or hardcore cornering.

This drop was momentary and so quick the gauge didn't show it. I caught it on a frame by frame of some road course logs I was reviewing.
Cured with 1/2 qt extra oil.
My TSP shortblock, CL77 Eagle crank setup has 15k miles on it, running 12 to 1 and a Melling HV pump. I have run 15 40 Rotella since fireup.
FWIW...
Old 01-25-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

good info SwampGoat, I've just recently realized that GTO's use a front sump oil pan and was curious of the negative effects of this design. BTW I assume the front sump design was made because of K-member clearance problems?
Old 01-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Teching In

[ I had an issue with some heads about 2 years ago that I bought on this board. I called the vendor up that built them and the FIRST thing they did was ask me to send them in. I immediately sent them in and within a day got a call back. They found the problem to be something that I had mistakenly done and it ruined the heads.

If you don't mind would you tell me what you did to the heads that ruined them? PM me if you like. Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bouvs
good info SwampGoat, I've just recently realized that GTO's use a front sump oil pan and was curious of the negative effects of this design. BTW I assume the front sump design was made because of K-member clearance problems?
Yup
The car is a rear steer setup, so the rack/tie rod ends hook to the rear of the knuckles/hubs. The GTO engine is packaged very nicely compared to F body cars.

The front sump oil pans are perfect for RX7/240sx/280 Z swaps.

The manual on 04 models specifies an extra qt oil for track or competetion use.
All the LS2 guys got letters saying watch your oil closely, esp if you go over 3000 rpm.
Say what? 3k? Pfft them.
Gotta keep a Goat topped up.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny that a BIG corpration such as gm will sell you a brand new ls2 with a 30,000 3 year warranty that is massed produced and more supsectable to failure but yet a "Professional" known motor building shop that build engines for specific application
to do a certain job andwont warranty 5k worth of motor.sounds shady to me just another bad thing ive herd about a "Professional" motor building shop........Just my thoughts and b/c ive had friends have the same type of crappy customer service over amail order tune that nearly blew up his motor.
Im pretty sure GM is a nationwide corporation where TSP is one shop in Texas. I think that GM has a little more money to throw around. Im also sure that GM will not just warranty and engine on a whim unless you bought it at their dealership and it was installed and flashed by a shop that GM would trust and back. Like Jon and Matt said look out there and see how many companies warranty short blocks that arent installed at their shops.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CamaroSS22
Im pretty sure GM is a nationwide corporation where TSP is one shop in Texas. I think that GM has a little more money to throw around. Im also sure that GM will not just warranty and engine on a whim unless you bought it at their dealership and it was installed and flashed by a shop that GM would trust and back. Like Jon and Matt said look out there and see how many companies warranty short blocks that arent installed at their shops.
Only one's that do warranty their motors have to be installed by an approved installer, not a shadetree mechanic.

It's not really a question of your skill level as there are some guys out here that are lot better than the garage mechanics on the other hand there are lot guys who don't what they're doing and take short-cuts that end up costing them twice as much.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlownVette 2001
Only one's that do warranty their motors have to be installed by an approved installer, not a shadetree mechanic.

It's not really a question of your skill level as there are some guys out here that are lot better than the garage mechanics on the other hand there are lot guys who don't what they're doing and take short-cuts that end up costing them twice as much.
Exactly. I was just saying that I see where TSP is coming from not offering a warranty on them. The company I have seen that may offer one is SDPC and that is only because they are a huge GM rep.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by myws61
I didn't measure any bearing clearances, I did have everything balanced, and I helped build my motor from bare GM LQ9. I filed the rings for the first time as well as many other firsts on my motor. My break in was, turn the car on had 0 oil pressure. After letting the car idle for at least 3 minutes the guy in the driver seat realized there was no oil pressure. No front oil plug. After that I ran 100 miles, changed the oil, 500 changed it, and at 1000, after that I BEAT THE LIVING **** OUT OF THE CAR. And I have been doing that ever sense.

Heres the proof........

http://videos.streetfire.net/profile/MyWs6.htm

Big difference between a stock ls2 from gm and a built 427 race motor. Go ahead and put headers on that stock ls2 then take it to Gm when it fails, see if they give you a new one, hell not even headers, just paint the valve covers, let us know how that turns out. I Spent well over 15k with TSP over the years, and when I have lost motors I never got mad at them or any one that touched my motor or I bought the parts from, because of the simple fact, you have to pay to play. Each time I would just call Jason up and within a couple days Id have boxes at my door. And Don't knock the mail order tune, thats just silly.

AWESOME! So when my current motor goes I can just bring all the new parts and block to you guys, and as long as yall put it together yall will give me 12k or 1 year! It makes me so mad when people like yourself get on forums like this one and make poor ignorant attempts to discredit companies.

Your Nucking Futs! 6,000 miles, months, track runs, and 60-140mph pulls later. Everyone knows what its like to save hard earned money, but like I said before, pay to play man.

Do you have any idea how many short blocks they send out in a year, a month, a week, each day? Your logic is so *** backwards, do you polish cranks to get .0001 too?

Thats what I was thinking on page 3. Can you test the oil to make sure it is indeed the oil that was supposed to be in there?

+1

I am sorry for you man, I hope everything works out some how.

Jeff
I know where you're coming from, I've been there with another company(not to name) and basically got nothing out of it. I've spent my fair share with TSP and Jason and Jon have never done me wrong. I had a set of the 243
LS6 heads that had problems and they upgraded them to the L92s when I sent them back. Say what you want but from personal experience TSP on the top of my list for LSX parts.

Blake
Old 01-26-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Exactly. I was just saying that I see where TSP is coming from not offering a warranty on them. The company I have seen that may offer one is SDPC and that is only because they are a huge GM rep.
I too understand where TSP is coming from, however the engine went 6K miles so I think it was installed and tune correctly.

Most botched installs don't last near that long, if at all. The engine showed no signs of detonation so more than likely it was some sort of mechanical failure, just not sure what it was and I doubt we ever will.

It just sucks when this kind of thing happens to you.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

I too understand where TSP is coming from, however the engine went 6K miles so I think it was installed and tune correctly.

Most botched installs don't last near that long, if at all. The engine showed no signs of detonation so more than likely it was some sort of mechanical failure, just not sure what it was and I doubt we ever will.

It just sucks when this kind of thing happens to you.
I know I've been in this exact situation. My 402 from some other rep not to named was dead in about the same time frame. It sucks, but people don't remember when you buy race parts, they are meant to do just that, if you want a DD motor with a warranty almost guaranteed to have no problems then have GM put in a crate motor. Not trying to get into a pissing match, but if a race engine was meant to last 100,000 miles then this thread may never have started.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know I've been in this exact situation. My 402 from some other rep not to named was dead in about the same time frame. It sucks, but people don't remember when you buy race parts, they are meant to do just that, if you want a DD motor with a warranty almost guaranteed to have no problems then have GM put in a crate motor. Not trying to get into a pissing match, but if a race engine was meant to last 100,000 miles then this thread may never have started.
Well I hope the 416 (LS3) that I just bought gets a lot more than 6K miles or i'll be putting a crate motor back in. I went the forged route because I want a turbo and some depend-ability. I'm only going to run 8 - 10 psi as I only want 650 rwhp.

Also going to convert from a six speed back to an auto (car use to be an auto anyway).

I'm hoping to get at least 50k miles having a little fun and cruising.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Well I hope the 416 (LS3) that I just bought gets a lot more than 6K miles or i'll be putting a crate motor back in. I went the forged route because I want a turbo and some depend-ability. I'm only going to run 8 - 10 psi as I only want 650 rwhp.

Also going to convert from a six speed back to an auto (car use to be an auto anyway).

I'm hoping to get at least 50k miles having a little fun and cruising.
Im in the same boat that same 402 that I rebuilt just went out and Im calling Jason tom about a 427. Im hoping I can get at least 50k out of it too. That should be a pretty killer setup, you'll have to let us know if you hit you're goal.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im in the same boat that same 402 that I rebuilt just went out and Im calling Jason tom about a 427. Im hoping I can get at least 50k out of it too. That should be a pretty killer setup, you'll have to let us know if you hit you're goal.
It's been a long project (4+ years) and counting. The body work and paint is getting finished up and then I'm going to drop the drive train and motor out of it along with the suspension.

The entire interior needs to be redone (I converted from a coupe to a hardtop) along with a wide body kit. I had always wanted to do a few high speed runs but all of the rules and safety equipment would have destroyed all the body work that I have done, so I shelved that idea.

Also need to re-wire the inside from the seats back.

Here's a couple pictures of it, still needs some more accents done and the headlights.

It started like this;

Looks like this now

Old 01-30-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2c5s
Hey Goober, you sound like an idiot. If I were to judge your skills by the way you present yourself, I would not let you put air in my tires.
Hey Goober, Jiffy Lube must be proud...................
Big mechanic, LMFAO!! Arkansas no less, that explains everything.

Excuse me sir, i work at the so called "Jiffy Lube" with 00_STANG_KILLER and i have personally seen him build a 463rwhp h/c 1999 z28, magnacharged TBSS, and 627rwhp 2003 zo6 for the customers of our so called "Jiffy Lube". he is a very skilled mechanic. he also does the outfitting for all of the new police and emergency vehicles in this town and many of the surrounding towns.

as for the tuning....
some of the top motor builders in the world could not tune their own cars. tuning and building cars are two different jobs that require different schooling. i don't understand why you would attack his mechanical skills because seeking a qualified tuner for his car?

....have you tuned your own cars?

as for you insulting arkansas......
bentonville is not great, but i don't see any reason for putting someone down for living here. this is not the backwoods hillbilly place that you have seen on your television. you wont find southern talking, country music, rednecks, or rebel flags in this part of the state. this is one of the wealthiest counties in the united states.

I would like to say i am not insulting 2C5S...i am simply trying to defend an unsuspecting poster and understand why 2C5S is wasting his time trying to attack someone (he does not even know) because they have an opinion(that was not even directed at 2C5S) that he does not agree with. i am getting tired of weeding through pages of **** talking posts made by people to find the info about the actual thread subject.

Last edited by sixpack_2_go; 01-30-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

After reading through that mess I've come to conclude the engine was oil starved. Probably because the oil changer forgot to fill the oil filter upon replacement. Causing a dry startup. Which in turn would starve bearings and destroy a 6000 mile built motor in less than 300 miles.

Quick Reply: BIG PROBLEM!!!! Need some thoughts.