Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

427 carnage

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
...LOL
Thats pretty much exactly what my eyes did when I saw that picture.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the cinder blocks is a good idea to get height with come jack-stands underneath but then again the what 1' drop if you don't constantly adjust them probably would cause some problems. I have those industrial size stands but they collect dust cause I could never get my car up high enough to put them on there. But yes not to sound like a moron I will agree with the others that is just dangerous, ever think about filling them with some concrete? It maybe heavier but it will be less brittle.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:47 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's quite the carnage. Mine did that to a lesser degree when I turned the key. It vented the block on both sides and took out the oil pan. I feal your pain, but in a less expensive kind of way.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

i did that... rod tried to chainsaw my motor in half.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
Thats pretty much exactly what my eyes did when I saw that picture.
What is hard to see is that the cinder blocks under the jack stands are about twice as thick as the one that is under the jack.

But, as you said, yes, its dangerous, the only time the car is jacked up that high is when there is no motor/trans in it taking the weight down. Haha. Gotta use what ya got.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:36 PM
9 Second Club

Well at least your thinking postive what you can save out of a some major motor carange.These cars become quite the money pit but when running right they make it worth while though.So hang tough man and im sure when you build it up again it will be even better.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Saw Howie at Callies Performance today when i took my crank there to get checked out.
I have to say, that man is a really great guy. Showed me around their shop - its amazing, and I only saw the place they're moving out of!

Turns out its a Scat crank, not a callies like I was told lol. Tolerances were no-go, had a knock-off chinese reluctor wheel on it.

The thrust walls on the crank were basically non-exsistant, which means my endplay was probably all messed up. What probably happened was that the crank shifted too far forwards, causing contact between the reluctor wheel and piston, which i'm pretty sure is what happened, because the piston had damage right where the reluctor was, and the reluctor was damaged as well, and I thought that was weird when I saw it. Also, the rod journals were out of tolerance where the number 8 rod broke, so the rod was moving side-side causing more disruptions.

Just overall really crappy, really frustrating.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Haans249
Saw Howie at Callies Performance today when i took my crank there to get checked out.
I have to say, that man is a really great guy. Showed me around their shop - its amazing, and I only saw the place they're moving out of!

Turns out its a Scat crank, not a callies like I was told lol. Tolerances were no-go, had a knock-off chinese reluctor wheel on it.

The thrust walls on the crank were basically non-exsistant, which means my endplay was probably all messed up. What probably happened was that the crank shifted too far forwards, causing contact between the reluctor wheel and piston, which i'm pretty sure is what happened, because the piston had damage right where the reluctor was, and the reluctor was damaged as well, and I thought that was weird when I saw it. Also, the rod journals were out of tolerance where the number 8 rod broke, so the rod was moving side-side causing more disruptions.

That is sad and it really does not leave much in the good column.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

That engine builder would know fear it were me..
Old 01-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-20-2009, 04:16 PM
FormerVendor

Well, i will tell you what. It basically seems like you spent alot of money on something that was thrown together in a hurry, and you are taking it in very calmly. I give you kudos man, alot of people would not be this calm. You can definitely get more stuff worked out with people when you are this calm, but man, not even a "****" out of you???? Come on now, you can say **** one time, it's allright under these circumstances

Well, now you know why the god engine builders charge what they charge, as ANYONE can put a motor together, but not EVERYONE can put together a motor that will last.

Good luck
Old 01-20-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well, i will tell you what. It basically seems like you spent alot of money on something that was thrown together in a hurry, and you are taking it in very calmly. I give you kudos man, alot of people would not be this calm. You can definitely get more stuff worked out with people when you are this calm, but man, not even a "****" out of you???? Come on now, you can say **** one time, it's allright under these circumstances

Well, now you know why the god engine builders charge what they charge, as ANYONE can put a motor together, but not EVERYONE can put together a motor that will last.

Good luck
I did say "****" when i found out my Garmin took me down the wrong Jones Rd when i was going to Callies performance today.

But honestly, what are you going to do? The builder passed away, there is no way to prove anything, plus he was from out of country. It went, nothing you can do about it, why stress over something you can't control? I've learned this from much experience during my two deployments to Iraq. I'm just trying to get things taken care of now as its all you can do.

I sold my 3k dollar block for 15 dollars scrap aluminum...not a good return LOL. I think i got ripped off again....

I do appreciate all the kind words.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I know it doesn't help any but I really do feel for ya man.........................
Old 01-21-2009, 04:53 PM
FormerVendor

Sorry to hear that, I was hoping You'd be able to save the crank.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:12 PM
9 Second Club

[QUOTE=Haans249;10887161]...

I sold my 3k dollar block for 15 dollars scrap aluminum...not a good return LOL. I think i got ripped off again....

[QUOTE]

You did get ripped...my friend sold his >$6K block for $56 to a scrap dealer! I know you pain first-hand. Good luck on the new combo.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=RUQWIKR;10894786][QUOTE=Haans249;10887161]...

You did get ripped...my friend sold his >$6K block for $56 to a scrap dealer! I know you pain first-hand. Good luck on the new combo.
Haha, I could use the extra 31 dollars
Old 01-21-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

BTW: aluminum prices are currently way down .... everywhere. Too much supply and too little demand due to the global recession. You probably received a fair price. Of course, you could have held id for a few years and wait for the market to top out. j/k

Personally, having been former DoD while building a car (1970 'Cuda 440-six pack), I know the pain of little money and big costs. Not being a drinker, I would have probably buried myself in the gym for a week.

I feel for the enemy during your next deployment. They are going to experience 'righteous indignation'.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Proud2bSS
BTW: aluminum prices are currently way down .... everywhere. Too much supply and too little demand due to the global recession. You probably received a fair price. Of course, you could have held id for a few years and wait for the market to top out. j/k

Personally, having been former DoD while building a car (1970 'Cuda 440-six pack), I know the pain of little money and big costs. Not being a drinker, I would have probably buried myself in the gym for a week.

I feel for the enemy during your next deployment. They are going to experience 'righteous indignation'.
Not sure about "righteous indignation", but where ever I go next I will do what I need to stay alive.

As far as being "drunk" for a week, its just because I was working on my car more than usual given the explosion...
Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Ouch. I feel ya.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

wow that crazy

Quick Reply: 427 carnage