Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Racetronix knock sensor extension harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009 | 10:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
20 Year Member

Is there any type of external visual indicator allowing one identify which type of knock sensor is in a motor before actually removing the intake?

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-21-2009 | 10:14 PM
9 Second Club

I did manage to snap this pic of the knock sensor with my cellphone it has the part number on it.

These were probably used in 97&98 model years only. If I were using the original 1999 knock sensors that cam with my car I would not have run into this issue. Thing is I looked on the Racetronix site and it lists this harness good for 97-04 LS1's. As we now see this is not the case.
Old 07-21-2009 | 10:17 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

I see them during engine swaps, but the only 50/50 indication I can give is they were only equipped along with perimeter bolt heads/valve covers. I've come across both designs in 1998 F-bodies, usually end up replacing the older ones with the 2nd design anyway.
Old 07-21-2009 | 10:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
I see them during engine swaps, but the only 50/50 indication I can give is they were only equipped along with perimeter bolt heads/valve covers. I've come across both designs in 1998 F-bodies, usually end up replacing the older ones with the 2nd design anyway.
So w/o looking up the VIN there is no way of knowing forsure?

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-21-2009 | 10:26 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

I don't even think the VIN helps... I don't think GM documents mid-year changes for the parts counter guys.

Edit: I just remembered that my brother's 1998 T/A had the older style, I can grab his VIN tomorrow and call Scoggin to verify. I believe his was an early model.
Old 07-22-2009 | 01:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by JFM-jr
These were probably used in 97&98 model years only. If I were using the original 1999 knock sensors that cam with my car I would not have run into this issue. Thing is I looked on the Racetronix site and it lists this harness good for 97-04 LS1's. As we now see this is not the case.
It is unfortunate that we can not rely on GM's publications. It is very odd given the number of harnesses we have sold that we have not run into this before. There are two other vendors which make a similar product and they also list them as LS1 harnesses w/o any mention of alternate connector types.

Hopefully the VIN can help narrow this down.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-22-2009 | 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Racetronix
It is unfortunate that we can not rely on GM's publications. It is very odd given the number of harnesses we have sold that we have not run into this before. There are two other vendors which make a similar product and they also list them as LS1 harnesses w/o any mention of alternate connector types.

This is very true I myself have the Caspers harnes (no offense racetronics its what my local speed shop had) and it has the same connector. Looked on their site and its the only one available, thought I was goin nuts. I also am glad im not the only one who has run into this.
Old 07-22-2009 | 09:19 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racetronix

Well to the credit of Racetronix I have also bought their cam sensor (LS1 to LS2) and fuel pump with the hotwire kit. All three items fit perfect and were as easy as it can get to use.
Old 07-24-2009 | 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JFM-jr
I did manage to snap this pic of the knock sensor with my cellphone it has the part number on it.

This part shows up on gmpartsdirect.com - 10456222

Quick Reply: Racetronix knock sensor extension harness