Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need help on parts for my L92 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone got pics of the dod valley plate, i also am doing a L92 swap to LS3. already picked up the timing cover and cam gear. and would like to see what a ls3 valley plate looks like. mine is flat and has a couple of what looks like orange o rings, and has a black plastic piece in the middle, anybody can tell me which one i got as well
Old 08-31-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sounds like a regular non VVT plate. The O-rings seal off the oil ports going to the VVt solenoids.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Launching!

To anwser questions, here are the exact parts ( since some people don't know what they are talking about in this thread and I can see how you are confused):

-Katech 58x to 24x harness - Click Here

-Knock Sensor Extension - Click Here You'll need to drill out two holes a little bigger that are already in the block and tap them for the knock sensors, you can use your sensors too no need to buy new ones. Here's a thread - Click Here

-LS2 Timing Cover (Includes Cover, Cam Sensor, Bolts, New gasket, just take off the extension harness.) - GM Part# 12600325

-LS2 Cam sprocket and Dampener (Includes bolts, Allows use of three bolt cam) - Click Here You can use the timing chain that came with the L92, that's what I did. Also you can use the crank gear that's on the L92 crank, no need to change it.

-Newer oil pump - Use the one in your current LS1 or buy aftermarket

-90mm TB - FASt or Nick Williams so you can still have drive by cable. Here is the bracket so you can mount the TB bracket to the TB - Click Here

-L76 Intake with ls2 rails and injectors - This is the best route as far as MAP Sensor as it has the same sensor as the LS, all you need to do is cut your current harness and extended it to the front of the intake and it will plug right in. Or you can go this route and contact SDPC - Click Here If you use the LS3 intake you'll have to get a MAP Sensor adapter harness - Click Here

-You'll only need to replace the lifters and cups it the top of the TOP ENGINE COVER has vanes on it.

-The only other thing you need is adapter harness to run the newer injectors - Click Here

-As far as front accessories got use all of the accessories and pulleys from the LS1.

-For the oil pan you will have use the F-Body LS1 Oil pan, Pick-up tube, and Windage tray out of your LS1.

-Also make sure to use the crank sensor that came in the L92. It should be grey and on the passenger side of the block where the starter sits.

I hope this helps, I did the exact same thing you are doing.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
That sounds like a regular non VVT plate. The O-rings seal off the oil ports going to the VVt solenoids.
ALL L92 Engines came with VVT, quite confusing the **** out of him. He needs to check the top engine cover like mentioned before to see if he has DOD/AFM or not.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I still haven't take off the valve covers to take photos yet, Im trying to load pics of the valley pan. The valley pan is flat and doesnt have any veins on it. Is that timing chain cover necssary for the swap? Im planning on using the stock cam unless I come up on some quick cash I'll get a cam. Already ordered a l76 intake with fuel rails and injectors off a G8. Can I use a 95mm Jantzer TB with this intake or will there be a problem with the flow? As for the oil pump I can get a new GM 02 for $89 and the melling std and high volume are around $108, which should I go with? As for the knock sensor's, I don't have to worry about drilling into the block right? And do I need a cam sensor harness for the swap?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what I told him. better tell him that the cam might only have one bolt not 3. Some have DDD and some have both. DDD does not have the timing limiter like the vvt. So bite me mr ib a genuis. i told him who to call to get all the parts in 1 package.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
do i still need to put on tthe black plastic piece on the bottom of it, i do have the flat one, but i bought another one as well both look the same just one has a small tube on the front and the other does'nt, the one i bought was said to be LS3 plate whats the difference,

I like that lil saying you got there first LS3 in MI, I'll have the first LS3 95 impala ss in MI
Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BLOWN SS/T
I still haven't take off the valve covers to take photos yet, Im trying to load pics of the valley pan. The valley pan is flat and doesnt have any veins on it. Is that timing chain cover necssary for the swap? Im planning on using the stock cam unless I come up on some quick cash I'll get a cam. Already ordered a l76 intake with fuel rails and injectors off a G8. Can I use a 95mm Jantzer TB with this intake or will there be a problem with the flow? As for the oil pump I can get a new GM 02 for $89 and the melling std and high volume are around $108, which should I go with? As for the knock sensor's, I don't have to worry about drilling into the block right? And do I need a cam sensor harness for the swap?

Thanks
**** i wonder if i need to swap my oil pump now?????? Im using a CTS-V oil pan, what you think?????? and swap is for my 95 impala
Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 PM
Launching!

I still haven't take off the valve covers to take photos yet, Im trying to load pics of the valley pan. The valley pan is flat and doesnt have any veins on it.
Taking the valve covers off isn't going to really tell anything since all L92's are the same. But on a good note you don't need to change the lifters and lifter trays since the engine doesn't have DOD.

Is that timing chain cover necssary for the swap?
You have to use the LS2 cover since there is no provision for the cam sensor in the back of the L92 block.

I'm planning on using the stock cam unless I come up on some quick cash I'll get a cam.
I guess you could use the stock L92, but it wouldn't optimal without the VVT. I swear I read that you were gonna use the one from your LS1 which would require the 3-bolt cam gear that I linked. If you use the stock L92 cam then you will need the LS3 cam gear/cam bolt because it only has one large bolt. The L92 cam gear and bolt are different for the VVT.

Already ordered a l76 intake with fuel rails and injectors off a G8. Can I use a 95mm Jantzer TB with this intake or will there be a problem with the flow?
Good to know. For the MAP sensor all you need is just extend the Harness to reach the front of the intake and it will plug right in. I've never seen the 95mm Jantzer TB, but if it is for a LS engine with 4 bolts and is drive by cable then it should work. As for flow you could always get the L76 intake ported. (I don't know the max size they can be ported out to.)[/QUOTE]

As for the oil pump I can get a new GM 02 for $89 and the melling std and high volume are around $108, which should I go with?
If you're going to do more mods soon or now then just go with the melling high volume, but if you are going to be running in the high rpm's a lot then just go with the standard melling or with a stock LS6 oil pump.

As for the knock sensor's, I don't have to worry about drilling into the block right?
You have to move the knock sensors to the side of the block because there is no provision for them in the middle of the block. Look at the link I posted and it explains it exactly. I was a little weary to drilling into my block but it's not bad.

And do I need a cam sensor harness for the swap?
No because it is already built into the 58x to 24x converter box.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chacho44
do i still need to put on tthe black plastic piece on the bottom of it, i do have the flat one, but i bought another one as well both look the same just one has a small tube on the front and the other does'nt, the one i bought was said to be LS3 plate whats the difference,

I like that lil saying you got there first LS3 in MI, I'll have the first LS3 95 impala ss in MI
I don't remember on the valley cover. I just used what came on the L92 engine. Mine doesn't have the small tube, that I recall but could.

Where are you located in MI... The LS3 is one bad *** engine! Mine should be over 400ci or turbocharged this fall.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I probaly meant to say stock cam as in the one in the l92. So I can use my stock ls1 cam in the l92? Which would be better to use? And if I decide to go with an aftermarket cam later what application do I buy one for? And ls3 cam gear? Do I just ask for a cam gear for and 08-09 Vette at the dealership?
And the ls6 oil pump, I can ask for one at the dealership off an 04 zo6 right?
Thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Launching!

I probaly meant to say stock cam as in the one in the l92. So I can use my stock ls1 cam in the l92? Which would be better to use? And if I decide to go with an aftermarket cam later what application do I buy one for? And ls3 cam gear? Do I just ask for a cam gear for and 08-09 Vette at the dealership?
And the ls6 oil pump, I can ask for one at the dealership off an 04 zo6 right?
Thanks
You could technically use either cam, you would just need to get the respective cam gear: L92/LS3 One Bolt, LS1/2/6 Three Bolts. As far as which would be better I would ask the cam guru, PatrickG, if you are really stuck on using either of the cams you currently have. He would know better than me.

If you decide on an aftermarket cam later you would tell the shop that you have a LS3 and then just tell them one bolt design or three bolt design. That will just depend on what cam gear you buy now, because regardless of what cam you go with you have to buy either the 3 bolt that I linked above or and LS3 cam gear because the L92 cam gear is very different and wouldn't fit under the LS2 timing cover. And yes the cam gear would be from a 08-09 base vette if you were getting it from the dealer, make sure to get a LS3 cam bolt with it.

For the LS6 pump yes that would work, 04 Z06 or just go with the melling.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2SLO4ME
I don't remember on the valley cover. I just used what came on the L92 engine. Mine doesn't have the small tube, that I recall but could.

Where are you located in MI... The LS3 is one bad *** engine! Mine should be over 400ci or turbocharged this fall.
thanks for the tips, im located in lincoln park, (downriver area).... what you think about the oil pump??? Do i need to change it???

BLOWN SS/T WHAT KIND OF CAM YOU WANNA RUN????? Im kinda new to this build for mine. im only doing headers, nos, and im in the market for a sweet and sick lumpy sounding cam any tips on the cam.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Launching!

You do not want to use the stock l92 pump. It flows to much for our pan and will end up starving the oil pan of oil.

As far as suggestion for cams for you two, go into the dyno section and look at some L92/LS3 builds and see what cams are making the power you are looking for or call a shop and have one custom ground.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Old 09-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Launching!

this is what im workin with, look at the valley plates. The one w/out the tube in front was the og one from the L92, and I was told the one w/ the tube was LS3.... they both have the same design on the bottom, so does this mean mine did not have the DOD system, and do i have to use the black peice on the bottom, the plate w/ the tube looks like it feeds into the bottom and into that black thing. And also the LS3 timing cover and sproket I know i need the LS3 timing chain as well and what else?????????????

BLOWN SS/T is that what your valley cover looked like on your L92?????????
Attached Thumbnails Need help on parts for my L92 swap.-040.jpg   Need help on parts for my L92 swap.-048.jpg   Need help on parts for my L92 swap.-063.jpg   Need help on parts for my L92 swap.-066.jpg   Need help on parts for my L92 swap.-065.jpg  

Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Launching!

i learned how to post pics yaaaaaayyy
Old 09-09-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright, finally got some pictures of the underside of the valleypan. So here they are let me know what I got.
Thanks

Old 09-21-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

So off the last pictures I posted of the underside of valleypan, can anyone tell what I got?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a LS2/LS3 valley cover.... https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...t-lifters.html Post #4...

Same as the one on my LS2....

Quick Reply: Need help on parts for my L92 swap.