Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need help on parts for my L92 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on parts for my L92 swap.

Im in the middle of swapping out my ls1 for an L92. I don't want to change the cam out at this time, just wanting to swap out the intake for an l76, use the 54x to 24x harness and run my 4l60E. Hoping this will make alittle more power than my LS1. And according to the sticky I need to change out the timiming chain cover, chain and sprocket, also need to drill holes for the knock sensors and I need to use my ls1 oil pan and oil pump. A sponsor from the site said that I can do a striaght swap, and that I dont need to change out the knock sensors and chain or injestors, that I can use everything that I have.

Im probaly lost but is the sticky for people buying a bare block and starting from scratch? I have a complete pullout L92, and Im wanting to know what I can use from the engine and what I have to buy. Im not sure if the timing chain cover and sprcokets are the same as the ones needed in the sticky, and if I can use the injectors off the L92 intake. And I think they make a harness for the knock sensors right?
And yes I've looked at the sticky.

I have some pictures on what Im working with right now.
Heres the complete engine with harness and tranny and everything else.

Heres the L92 on the stand, the intake is an LS6, I was hoping it would fit the l92 lol
Old 08-26-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok.....not trying to be mean here, but DAMN!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...02-f-body.html
It's the frickin' first sticky!!!!
And, you WILL need a tune anyways.....so why not spend the extra money for a cam while it's out? Seems foolish not to.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I already read that. lol
Old 08-26-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just put your ls1 crank in it and some fresh bearings and save the $$ buying the converter box.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

The L92 has less than 5k miles, I plan on making a 414 out of it later on. But Im trying to get this engine in before a pinks all out show. I just need to know if the I can use any of the things that are on this L92 for the swap.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can use the whole L92 , you will need to extend the cam sensor harness. The cam sensor is in the front cover of the 92. You will have to extend the knock sensor harness and mount the sensors on the side of the block. The top engine covers are different. I'm going to delete mine(knock sensors) altogether. If you use the 76 intake the map sensor is in the same place as the LS6 at the back of the manifold, the LS3 is in the front. If the 92 is a DOD or VVT there are some issues with the oil system. The lifters are different on 4 of the cyls. There may be an oil pressure relief into the pan for cold starts. The oil pump is different (high volume). When you switch out the pan to fit your car check this out and change pumps to a car type.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Double check the crank pulley, some trucks/cars have a different offset than the Corvette. That's why the LS1/LS6 had that big ugly bell pulley on the water pump to accommodate all the different accessory setups between the Corvette, Camaro, GTO, CTS etc..

All of your LS1 accessories will bolt right up on the L92. You may need a plug/harness for the throttle body connector if you go LS2+.

You will need plugs to connect your injector plugs into L76 injectors if you are going that route.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

So if it is dod or vvt, do the lifters have to be swapped... Or does it just need a car oil pump? So for the injectors I can use the LS1 as well right, but would they be enough? I have both the LS1's and the injecotors from the L92 which Im told I can use as well but not sure what the PSI is and if they'll work with the L76 intake and rails. Or I can get a complete L76 intake with injecotrs as well.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLOWN SS/T
I already read that. lol
Are you sure? Every question you've asked has been addressed in that thread.

So if it is dod or vvt, do the lifters have to be swapped...
Here's a direct quote from the link....

AFAIK...All L92's come with the VVT (cam phaser), Some L92 and L76 motors also have the AFM (Active Fuel Management which cuts out 4 cylinders during part throttle/light load cruising)...mine did anyways. When you pull the intake off, look at the valley cover. If it's flat...you've got the regular LS2, LS3, LS7 lifters and trays. If it's got a raised pattern that looks like a maze...it means you have one with AFM and you need to swap the valley cover,lifters, and lifter trays for the regular LS2/LS3 lifters, guides, and valley cover.

Or does it just need a car oil pump?
Again from the link.....Thinks you will need

*2001 and Newer LS1/LS6/LS2/LS3 Standard Volume Oil Pump (The L92 one is High Volume, I don't recommend it with your smaller LS1 oil pan)

So for the injectors I can use the LS1 as well right, but would they be enough? I have both the LS1's and the injecotors from the L92 which Im told I can use as well but not sure what the PSI is and if they'll work with the L76 intake and rails. Or I can get a complete L76 intake with injecotrs as well.
And once again from the above link I provided....

If you use the taller EV1 Injectors (LS1 style) you'll need a spacer kit from Katech, if you use the LS7 style injectors (shorter) you'll need the injector harness adapters from Ford Racing, Caspers, or Racetronix.

I really don't think you read it. If you read it, 90% of your questions should have been answered. If you have more specific questions on certain aspects of the swap....ask those SPECIFIC questions....a general "how do I do this" won't get you much of anywhere.

Give a man a fish, he'll be hungry tomorrow. Teach a man to fish, and he'll be fed for life. What I'm getting at is that I'm still not trying to be mean (very hard to do btw), but trying to help you along the way by providing the materials/sources to find the answers to the questions you have. It's the damn reason anything is stickied.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess I didn't ask my question's right... As for the oil pan I was wanting to know if I could use the one on the L92 and keep that oil pump. And I wanted a recommndation on what injectors to use considering I have the LS1 and L92, or better yet which ones would be better suited. The valley pan is flat on the L92, so thats good news. And as for the knock sensor's I think Leginfilter makes a harness so Im going to look into that, I dont want to have to drill. The last thing is the timing chain cover, can I use the one the one thats on the L92... Part# 12594939

Thanks
Old 08-27-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I didn't ask my question's right... As for the oil pan I was wanting to know if I could use the one on the L92 and keep that oil pump. And I wanted a recommndation on what injectors to use considering I have the LS1 and L92, or better yet which ones would be better suited. The valley pan is flat on the L92, so thats good news. And as for the knock sensor's I think Leginfilter makes a harness so Im going to look into that, I dont want to have to drill. The last thing is the timing chain cover, can I use the one the one thats on the L92... Part# 12594939

Thanks
...if it's going in an f-body you need an oil pan designed for an f-body, whether it be stock or an aftermarket one.

And for the timing cover.....again it's it the sticky, you need an LS2 one.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've been trying to find the early ls2 timing chain 12596023, that the sticky says is needed using that part number, but I am being told it has been replaced with 12600325. They 12596023 on ebay with cam sensor.
Alright trying to build my list for parts here so far it looks like this

Katech 58x to 24x harness
Knock, cam, and map sensor harness
LS2 Timining chain cover with cam sensor
LS2 Timing chain tensioner
LS2 Cam sprocket, (and I can use my LS1 timining chain and crank sprocket, I'll probaly get an LS2 timing chain)
Newer oil pump
90mm TB
L76 Intake with ls2 rails and injectors

Excuse if Im starting to fustrate anybody, just trying to get everything I need and installed by the pinks show. Its tough not being able to refrence anywhere else. First project like this that I've done.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

You'll need the the timing set that came with the 92 due to the cam sensor use the front cover from the 92 also. Like stated above check the balancer and the water pump use the ones from your original motor if needed. You did check the top engine cover, you need to look on the under side for all the stuff for a VVT ,DOD motor. The covers are all flat on top now,not like the older LS1, and 6's which had the holes for the knock sensors. Change the oil pump if needed. Call SDPC for info they have akit with all that you need to make the swap. I would use the new injectors but you will need an adaptor for the harness. the rail might fit but it will be tall on the 76 manifold.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

So still take off the valley pan even though it's falt? And how do I know identify vvt or dod, and what do I have to do depending on what I have?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I took off the valley cover, I'll get some photos tommarow.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

The none VVT will have a black plastic PVC system going out to a metal fitting on the front end. The VVT will have a bunch of electronics and openings for oil to pass through it. The non VVt will have o-rings to seal these passages.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

The none VVT will have a black plastic PVC system going out to a metal fitting on the front end. The VVT will have a bunch of electronics and openings for oil to pass through it. The non VVt will have o-rings to seal these passages. You will have to change the t. body to the cable actuated one also. If it is a VVT motor you will have to ask about running that cam and lifters with the VVT DISABLED. Comp Cams makes a limiter that keeps after market cams from adjusting to far, and causing piston to valve clearence problems. It might work on the stock cam and lock it in place. This would be the cheapest route to go. Call MAST motor sports they deal with these engines all the time.

Last edited by 1lejohn; 08-29-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's some pics under the valley pan. If it's a vvt the cam has to be changed out?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

We need a picture of the top covers underside to to tell, or a pic of the cam gear that is behind the timing chain cover. I can't tell by those pics.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

So take off the valve covers? I'll get some photos tommarow.

Quick Reply: Need help on parts for my L92 swap.